Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 07:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

What I can't understand is a bathroom with no towel rings for hand towels, near the sink. We just bought a house and there's no place to hang your hand towel. I wonder what they did - did they and their guests wipe their hands on their pants? Did they just (gasp) NOT WASH THEIR HANDS? Yikes.

The day after closing I was at the hardware store buying towel rings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 08:40 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
Thanks to all who weighed in on my question! I didn't know there would be quite so many responses, I had to give up pretty early on trying to respond to each one.

Just as an FYI for those who felt it was a dumb question, we just had a local, highly experienced interior designer come over to look at the bathroom to give us some ideas for a remodel. I asked if it was normal to just have one towel bar in the bathroom, and she looked at me and said, "No. It is most certainly not normal." She had no explanation for why it would be this way.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:48 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Thanks to all who weighed in on my question! I didn't know there would be quite so many responses, I had to give up pretty early on trying to respond to each one.

Just as an FYI for those who felt it was a dumb question, we just had a local, highly experienced interior designer come over to look at the bathroom to give us some ideas for a remodel. I asked if it was normal to just have one towel bar in the bathroom, and she looked at me and said, "No. It is most certainly not normal." She had no explanation for why it would be this way.
I didn't respond (yet), but I didn't think it was a dumb question at all!

My present house had no towel bars either, when I moved in. It had been owned by one family for thirty years since it was built, and I guess they preferred using a new towel every day and washing the used one. I could easily install a towel bar in one of the bathrooms, and did. But the master bathroom did not have any space at all for a towel bar anywhere. It's hard to describe but the shower is crammed into the little toilet room, and a towel bar in there would be hazardous to anyone rising from the toilet because the room is so narrow. And that tiny, narrow room leads through a folding door into a dressing room with folding closet doors, window, and sink taking up all of the wall space. (Perhaps this was a poorly thought out remodel to add a shower to a 1/2 bath, making it a full bath? I often wonder).

My solution (to LIVE with temporarily, not to show for selling) was to buy a small coat rack and put it right outside that tiny shower/toilet room. It looks stupid but I can hang my robe and towels from that, for now, and I can easily reach them from the shower.

- - - If/when I decide to sell, I'll remove the coat rack and just hope the buyers don't notice.

- - - If/when I decide to stay and remodel that bathroom and dressing room, it will be a major remodel and hopefully will include both a much, much bigger shower, and room for a towel rack.

As for the utility sink, I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid. Anybody who is that dirty is not coming into my house at all! They can wash off outside if they are that dirty. In the twelve years I have owned my present house, that has never been necessary. I might be singing a different tune if I had teenaged boys, but I don't. Also I don't have a dog but I can see how a utility sink might be helpful for washing the dog.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 05-24-2014 at 11:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House