Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:17 PM
GLS GLS started this thread

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience converting or building from scratch a Pole Barn to live in? I am interested in building a 2 bdr, 2 ba with a large Great room (kitchen, DR, LR all in one open area). I can't handle small cramped rooms, and don't need a lot of bedrooms. The lot has a 360 degree view and is in Montana so it has to stand up to cold weather. However, I would probably only stay there May to October, with occasional Christmas'.

I would also welcome any experience you have with other nontraditional architecture, but not tents or million dollar log homes. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
In my neck of the woods, the term "pole barn" usually refers to a structure build for non habitational purposes and constructed from a framework of poles anchored into the ground and sheathed with rough boards or metal siding.

Things may be different in Montana, but this project would be a non-starter in Ontario because the pole barn construction standards would not satisfy the code requirements for a dwelling.

Might want to check local regs before proceeding too far on this project.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
I don't think you want a pole barn or at least not a what we call a pole barn in the Carolinas.

Have you looked at strawbale housing? From what I have been reading about this type dwelling they have stood the test of time in England. In addition to new construction in Nebraska and Minnesota, which would have to withstand some mighty cold weather.

Google Strawbale or Straw Bale Home Construction and you will find all kinds of info ... or you can check with your local library to see if they have books available.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 PM

351 posts, read 1,873,408 times
Have you thought about a yurt? It was made for that environment (sans the view, perhaps), although modification would certainly be needed for indoor plumbing. You can buy them from Kyrgyzstan for around $10,000 I understand....

Old 12-12-2007, 09:40 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Yurts can be bought in the USA and made into a house with heat and indoor plumbing and windows. I don't know the prices but you don't need to go to Asian for them. Google it if it interests you.

Did you mean timber-framed buildings? They can be made into houses and will meet any building code.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Did you mean timber-framed buildings?
Yes. Sorry, I should have specified. Anyone living in one of these? Were the "real" costs different than what the manufacturer promised?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:32 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
isnt that a saying "do you live in a barn" that some parents used to use in the olden days when you forgot to close the door?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,418 times
I think the author may indeed be talking of a traditional "pole barn" building. Many of the manufacturers of these systems do have residential lines that do meet code requirments in many municipalities (although it sounds like you will be building in rural Montana where there will be no code requirement regardless).

I personally would never consider buying or building one for myself, but I'm certain that it would cost less than traditional construction.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
isnt that a saying "do you live in a barn" that some parents used to use in the olden days when you forgot to close the door?
Absolutely true. However, I grew up in the projects in the worst part of LA.
No one needed to remind us to close the door and use the three locks and deadbolt. If you left your door open, people would come in and kill you.
Even a horse barn in Montana in the winter would have been preferable.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:27 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
I think the actual term is "post and beam" construction. That's the way barns were built as compared to other techniques like baloon construction. Anyway, I can't help beyond that since I haven't lived in a barn, although I think my mom yelled that question at me from time to time in my youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House