Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:05 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I'm about to paint the interior of my new home. Is it best to go with expensive paint? Will going cheap be something i'll regret?

Behr Premium Plus Ultra (paint and primer in one)?
Behr Premium Plus?
Glidden?
I don't think brand matters much. They all sell good-better-best lines. I ALWAYS go with 'best'.

I NEVER use flat paint. I use satin. Actually, I detest flat paint and don't know why the stuff exists. Art galleries, maybe. People who mean well will tell you that satin shows "every imperfection", and my answer is "so what"?

Satin paint on the walls does magic things to reflected light and brings life to the room. As the sun changes position you will see walls reflect different and unexpected color. I even used the equivalent of satin on the outside of my stucco-like house. It looks great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 08:15 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Good info. Thanks guys! The idea of having paint and primer in one is really appealing. I'm painting over some dark colors in this house.
You're still going to need to prime.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Depends on the application...

I only use Zinsser Perma White for any area where mold could be a problem... good stuff.

Started using it when I managed rentals... some people never open a window and others cram everything into a closet and then close the door.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:24 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I don't think brand matters much. They all sell good-better-best lines. I ALWAYS go with 'best'.

I NEVER use flat paint. I use satin. Actually, I detest flat paint and don't know why the stuff exists. Art galleries, maybe. People who mean well will tell you that satin shows "every imperfection", and my answer is "so what"?

Satin paint on the walls does magic things to reflected light and brings life to the room. As the sun changes position you will see walls reflect different and unexpected color. I even used the equivalent of satin on the outside of my stucco-like house. It looks great!
THIS THIS THIS!!!! I clean at an HOA, and sometimes I get invited in to units. There is a dark side to the building, and a lot of people prefer flat paint. There's another thing about flat paint... it's not cleanable. I don't care what people say -- if you try to clean it, it'll just come off the wall. ESPECIALLY if you use a Mr. Clean sponge.

Had a guy talk a resident into eggshell flat for the walls and put a nice soft milky white semigloss on the ceiling. It really brought the light in and bounced it all over. The two places on either side had to use lights all day long... but this guy could use the little bit of sunshine to his advantage.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:24 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
<snip>So much involved with prepping. Caulking, fixing nail pops, holes, sanding it down perfectly, applying a primer over top so it doesn't sheen, caulking the cracked corners, caulking the trim, painting the trim (I don't wish to ever do that again), cutting in, drop cloths, CLEANING UP, the list goes on and on...

The actual painting only takes about 1/5 of the time all the other stuff does.
Yup, surface prep is key. Good prep + cheap paint could outlast poor prep + expensive paint.
Obviously, great prep + great paint = superior outcome

Old 05-26-2014, 06:31 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
I use high solids Glidden Professional that can only be purchased at a Glidden pro store. I like the Lifemaster 9300 eggshell, and spray everything possible. Those who claim high quality with cheap paint aren't there down the road when a durable finish is still serving, and the cheap needs another coat.

Ben Moore, and Sherwinn Williams is good too. Real Pro's don't buy paint at Home Depot, and I've never seen it spec'd by architects on any plan. A job worth doing is worth doing right.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 AM

56 posts, read 78,714 times
I''ve used Behr before and was not impressed.

I've used other brands too from the big box stores and did not care for any of them.

Over the last five years I've painted over half the rooms in our home and Benjamin Moore has been the paint I've used. I love it and wouldn't even consider using anything else.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:17 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
You're still going to need to prime.
Not true. It just sometimes requires more than one coat.

The picture below was using the Behr Ultra. We did 3 coats on this room. Previously, it was a dark navy blue. Unfortunately, I do not have a 'before' picture.

Paint...expensive or cheap?-5-27-2014-10-15-22

Old 05-27-2014, 12:26 PM

56 posts, read 78,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Not true. It just sometimes requires more than one coat.

The picture below was using the Behr Ultra. We did 3 coats on this room. Previously, it was a dark navy blue. Unfortunately, I do not have a 'before' picture.

Attachment 130558

Personally I think all that primer in the paint no priming necessary talk is just marketing. I always sand, prime, and then at a bare minimum two coats of paint.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I painted my bathrooms and bedroom with Behr Ultra but I was going from light paint to light paint so the built in primer was enough. I will be having more rooms painted soon but I won't be doing it myself, I think he uses Kelly Moore but he will need to prime, I have a room with black stenciling all around the ceiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House