Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:45 AM

76 posts, read 405,830 times

Advertisements

I have no idea if this is posted in the correct forum section....I considered the health forum, but anyway...

I've been living with my brother for several years, and sleeping on the guest bed, which is a posturepedic memory foam mattress. Before I moved in and slept on that mattress, I had always slept on a normal box spring mattress, and, due to back problems, slept poorly and woke up in pain every day for as long as I can remember. The day I moved in, I had the most beautiful night of sleep in my life up to that point. It is the most amazing bed on earth, and I've never had back pain since using it. Well, I'm moving out of my brother's house soon, so I can say goodbye to that. He tells me the mattress is worth something like $3,000+. I'll need to buy my own memory foam mattress for my apartment, but there is no way I can afford anything remotely close to that price. I'm looking more at something like $400-$500 for a queen size, if that is even possible. My biggest concern is that a cheaper mattress (even memory foam) may not offer the level of comfort that the outrageously priced brandname posturepedic gives me, meaning I may say hello to back pain every day again. I can't let that happen.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a memory foam mattress in the price range that I noted above? Has anyone else had back pain relief since using memory foam? I have no idea what the "softness" rating or level is of the posturepedic I am currently using, but it seems very soft to me. I sink into it and feel like I'm on a cloud.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 03:34 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
You should be able to find a memory foam mattress for $500. It will not be as nice as a $3,000 mattress. However it will probably be nicer than any $500 regular spring type mattress. If you do not mind sleeping close to the floor you can skip getting the bottom box spring foundation and bed frame and use your entire mattress budget on just the memory foam mattress. Memory foam mattresses require a solid foundation thus they work well sitting directly on the floor.

Shop around. Furnature has a very high mark-up in price. When stores get new stock in they often discount stuff already on hand by 50 percent or more to make room for the new stuff.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:12 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Why do you not look into mattress toppers? We use them on guest beds and they are being appreciated. Otherwise - walk the walk. Talk to sales people at every mattress place in your area, ask about mark downs, out dated models, extra discounts. Remember - they have some flexibility and most work on commission. Then there are options such as Overstock, Amazon, ...

Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Ikea...

Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Why do you not look into mattress toppers? We use them on guest beds and they are being appreciated. Otherwise - walk the walk. Talk to sales people at every mattress place in your area, ask about mark downs, out dated models, extra discounts. Remember - they have some flexibility and most work on commission. Then there are options such as Overstock, Amazon, ...
^^^^. Buy a reasonably priced regular bed that suits you, and get the best topper you can afford. If you're a member, you might look at Costco too.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Sleep well

https://caspersleep.com/
Talalay Latex Mattress, Natural Latex Mattress, Memory Foam Mattress
https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
^ Yep, check the Sleep Science beds at Costco. We've had one for about 4 years now, and it's been great. I think we paid around $600 for the Cal. King size, and they shipped it to our house for free (we bought it through their web site). Even if you're not a Costco member, you can join for $50 and still save hundreds on your mattress.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,264 times
I just reead an article about these the other day. It seems the mattresses that sell for $3000 cost about $300 to make. One company called Tuft and Needle is making them way cheaper. Check their website, or Amazon. A quick check on Amazon shows numerous ones in the $300 to $400 dollar range, and some with free Shipping!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times
I also wanted one and on a budget. I think I got the deal from heaven, and love mine. Believe it or not, I bought it from Amazon and had it shipped for only $338.00. The same one I bought in 2011, is now $389.99, not a bad jump in 3 years. I also bought a pad for mine, which I'd recommend just to keep it clean. I don't think you can go wrong if you buy this one.

My kids paid over a $1,000 for theirs and like mine better. It comes vacuum sealed, and you just open and let it expand. It had no odor what so ever. Good luck OP.

Shop Sleep Innovations 10-Inch SureTemp Memory Foam Mattress With 20-Year Warranty, with 2-Bonus Memory Foam Pillows, Queen Size at the Amazon Furniture Store

Edit to add: I just noticed this deal comes with two pillows, mine didn't. : )

Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
I cannot even imagine purchasing a mattress unless I actually laid on it first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House