Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,312 times

Advertisements

If you go to homedepot.com/ecosmart, there is a link to their warranty info, which I admit is hard to find. The link is to: [url]http://contentgrid.homedepot-static.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOMNEW/fetch/Global_Assets/ECO-WARRANTY-2018.pdf[/url]

which says: "... bring the defective bulb and a receipt indicating proof of purchase to any Home Depot store. The Home Depot will provide a replacement or, at our discretion, a store credit for the value of the original purchase price."

I just did this, without a receipt, no problem. Their customer service people actually had no clue this is how their warranty for Ecosmart light bulbs actually works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I doubt that the warranty means anything. How can you warrant a light bulb? If you turn it on and off a dozen times a day it will burn out quicker, if you leave it one all the time it would probably last longer. If it last longer than 5 years will you give HD extra $ because you got a bargin? I think that the "5 Year warranty" is just a selling gimmic and has no real meaning. Every light bulb is different. A case of bulbs could have been thrown around 10 times and damaged them. LED's are pretty hard to damage but there can be no way of knowing how long they'll last. They probably took an average life of a bulb and use that for comparison. I'd be very surprised if any store would take a used bulb back.
i don't think LED lights wear out from repeated on/off cycles. They are supposed to last for years which was a matter of concern since incandescent light bulbs are built to only last a set number of hours and manufacturers were guaranteed repeat business.... so a Planned obsolescence, I suppose. I replaced the light bulbs in my house 4 years ago with LED. so far, only 1 has died and i didn't bother looking for a warranty replacement though I should have since they were quite expensive back then.

I would keep that receipt and try to return it if it doesn't last 5 years. LL Bean had lifetime warranties on all of their products and I believe they still honor replacements for things people find at thrift shops and hand me downs from grandpa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House