Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 AM

289 posts, read 567,895 times

Advertisements

said the drain guy who has been here twice to snake my drains. I've since read on the net that his statement is indeed true, and I should pour a bucket of water down the toilet every month. I'm doing weekly.

The problem began when I had this toilet installed about a year ago, having lived in the house 38 years. Now I am having trouble finding the old sort of toilet because....I am. Canada apparently was once a source but not so much now.

We can frack the country to death but I can't find an old style toilet.

Any ideas? I'm desperate!

(Mod, I looked for a more appropriate forum but couldn't find one. Please move if there is.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
What kind of toilet did you buy? My experience is that they're not all created equal. I've installed them in two different homes in the last 5 or so years and they do tend to need plunging more often than the old ones (usually they clog when I'm flushing baby wipes which I probably shouldn't) but I've only ever had to snake the toilet once or twice and that was in my former home.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:05 AM

503 posts, read 1,204,509 times
I don't know if this will help you or not. But, if you just a little handy with tools you can unclog your toilet yourself. Get a closet auger (walmart less than $10). I don't know why it's called a closet auger. It should be called a toilet auger.

It has a handle and like a metal snake thats about 4ft long. When your toilet gets clogged you put the snake in the toilet and spin the handle clockwise and slowly work it down the pipe. I'm only talking a couple of feet. That usually breaks up the clog. It's only toilet paper and you know what causing the clog.

This is much more effective than a plunger and I bet it's what the plumber used to clear the clogs in your toilet. It's easy....

Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
What kind of toilet did you buy? My experience is that they're not all created equal. I've installed them in two different homes in the last 5 or so years and they do tend to need plunging more often than the old ones (usually they clog when I'm flushing baby wipes which I probably shouldn't) but I've only ever had to snake the toilet once or twice and that was in my former home.
Baby wipes and hand towels or anything of this nature will not only screw up your plumbing but can mess up other parts of sewer system.Sewer system not designed to grind material.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
I agree that the wet wipes (even flushable ones) are problems for our low flow toilets/septic systems.

I have kids, so I tend to walk around the house flushing the toilets on a regular basis just to insure everything is working.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Oddly enough, we have NOT had problems since switching to low flow.
I have been told by the plumbers supply people that they are not all created equal.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
I don't know if this will help you or not. But, if you just a little handy with tools you can unclog your toilet yourself. Get a closet auger (walmart less than $10). I don't know why it's called a closet auger. It should be called a toilet auger.

It has a handle and like a metal snake thats about 4ft long. When your toilet gets clogged you put the snake in the toilet and spin the handle clockwise and slowly work it down the pipe. I'm only talking a couple of feet. That usually breaks up the clog. It's only toilet paper and you know what causing the clog.

This is much more effective than a plunger and I bet it's what the plumber used to clear the clogs in your toilet. It's easy....

FYI, it's called a closet auger because toilets are also know as water closets.

"The term "water closet" was an early term for an interior or exterior room with a flushing toilet in contrast with an earth closet usually outdoors and requiring periodic emptying as "night soil". Originally, the term "wash-down closet" was used. The term "water closet" was coined in England around 1870. It did not reach the United States until the 1880s. Around this time, only luxury hotels and wealthy people had indoor private bathrooms. By 1890 in the US, there was increased public awareness of the theory of disease and of carelessly disposed human waste being contaminated and infectious."

Reference : Flush toilet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I'm happy that we live in a culture that doesn't use a squat toilet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_toilet

Old 07-08-2014, 09:56 AM

289 posts, read 567,895 times
I used those horrible flushables *maybe* once a month when my four-year-old grandson come to visit. Had one packet of them for over a year, and when I found out how bad they were 95% of them were still unused. Drain Guy said they are responsible for 30-40% of their calls, and I barely used them! The toilet is a Bemis. My cousin bought and installed it, so I'm assuming that's a well-made product.

The problem isn't the toilet **clogging** (at least for the moment), it's that the house is old, the pipes initially cross almost the entire basement and then make two right turns out to the street. I fixed the last problem I had just by pouring several buckets of water down the toilet, and I assume that will keep the problem at bay. (The *problem,* which I see I never described, is that the toilet and the bathroom sink "gurgle" when the shower is being used, or, when it has hit the last turn, when you flush the toilet the toilet and sink together "mega-gurgle." At one point it looked like the water in the toilet was boiling!!

I want a 3.5 or more flushable toilet. I know they are not easy to get, I'm hoping there's sort of a "gray market" out there somewhere.

Can't believe all the folks who have suggestions here! About toilets!! :-)

I don't WANT to keep doing this, I want a 3.5 gallon or more former model.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Personally, I'm happy that we live in a culture that doesn't use a squat toilet.
I always wanted to see if I could train a dog to use one. But I don't have a dog or a squat toilet.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:12 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Drive around and look for old properties undergoing renovation. Offer to remove the toilets yourself.

Otherwise, get a Toto toilet.

However, I suspect all your lines are probably so gunked up with mineral deposits and whatnot.......I'd have a plumber out with a See-snake.....and have all the lines..........water, drain and sewer outflow checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House