Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,792 times

Advertisements

Trying to sell my house and apparently need at least one of the above or no one will even look at the place. Since I can't afford to do both, which is most important to home buyers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:13 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
LOL!
I dislike them both.
Which is cheaper to do in your area?

Problem with spot upgrading a kitchen is that it often leaves the cabinets looking bad. Are yours in great shape?

Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Usually I tell my clients not to do any aesthetic home improvement projects like this before going on the market. I usually tell them to just price accordingly because otherwise you risk turning off potential buyers who might not like the selections you've made. Additionally, the home improvement projects describe will not add more value to the home than it costs to do them. This is just my spin on it. It might not apply to your local market. The best advice you'll get is from your Realtor who has local knowledge of how your home will be perceived by potential buyers.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Depends on the neighborhood and house. Appliances should not be outdated and worn out looking. Same with countertops. Some if the newer laminate countertops are quite attractive. I'd ask your Realtor's opinion on where best to invest limited funds for the best return.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:44 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Well, I couldn't have put it any clearer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Usually I tell my clients not to do any aesthetic home improvement projects like this before going on the market. I usually tell them to just price accordingly because otherwise you risk turning off potential buyers who might not like the selections you've made. Additionally, the home improvement projects describe will not add more value to the home than it costs to do them. This is just my spin on it. It might not apply to your local market. The best advice you'll get is from your Realtor who has local knowledge of how your home will be perceived by potential buyers.

There's a buyer for every house- and with this market it's all about pricing it right. HGTV is NOT the say-all, do-all of home buying and selling.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:21 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
The problem with putting in a counter top, you will put in what YOU like but some potential buyer may not. And changing a counter top can get expensive. And the same thing with appliances. Doing that, you are trying to figure out what a potential buyer would like which doesn't work.

When we moved, I wanted to buy a new stove. My husband liked the old one (he does the cooking) and said that a buyer would probably trash it so why not use it. So, we moved over the old stove. When we put the house on the market, the buyer can buy whatever stove (s)he wants.

Cat

Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

There's a buyer for every house- and with this market it's all about pricing it right. HGTV is NOT the say-all, do-all of home buying and selling.
Exactly! I wouldn't do either upgrade just to (supposedly) sell a house. Save the money for your next house since there will bound to be things you'll want to change about it.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
You can also offer a decorating allowance instead. As a buyer I would rather have that.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:47 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Good advise already given. Don't bother with the expensive, just price accordingly. HGTV is one of my favorite channels to watch but House Hunters is the most ridiculous show on there.

A couple of years ago my neighbor put his house on the market. He didn't get much traffic and it seemed to me the house was over priced. Houses sell in my area because of the school district and low crime but if you are overpriced the houses will sit. I would say a large portion of this area was built in the 90's. The houses are pretty much all the same. Most still have all the 90's builder grade materials. So choosing a home here is really about how many bedrooms you want and if the home was maintained well.

Anyway, I'm not sure if he got bad advice or thought about this on his own but he took the house off the market, installed low end granite counters and put in low end stainless steel appliances. The house sat on the market a second go around for the same asking price. The price was finally dropped to a more reasonable range and the house sold. Did the granite and SS help? I doubt it. It may have added a bit more attractiveness but I don't think it added value. In the end, I think the seller wasted his money. It was a large 4 bedroom home which are the best sellers in this area he simply was too high in the beginning. Good luck OP.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:56 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Good advise already given. Don't bother with the expensive, just price accordingly. HGTV is one of my favorite channels to watch but House Hunters is the most ridiculous show on there.

A couple of years ago my neighbor put his house on the market. He didn't get much traffic and it seemed to me the house was over priced. Houses sell in my area because of the school district and low crime but if you are overpriced the houses will sit. I would say a large portion of this area was built in the 90's. The houses are pretty much all the same. Most still have all the 90's builder grade materials. So choosing a home here is really about how many bedrooms you want and if the home was maintained well.

Anyway, I'm not sure if he got bad advice or thought about this on his own but he took the house off the market, installed low end granite counters and put in low end stainless steel appliances. The house sat on the market a second go around for the same asking price. The price was finally dropped to a more reasonable range and the house sold. Did the granite and SS help? I doubt it. It may have added a bit more attractiveness but I don't think it added value. In the end, I think the seller wasted his money. It was a large 4 bedroom home which are the best sellers in this area he simply was too high in the beginning. Good luck OP.
When people cheap out like that they usually just make the situation worse. Now people look at the house and think "OK I have to pay more for this house because it's been upgraded. However, I don't like any of the upgrades so I would want to rip them out. I'm not going to pay extra for something I'm just going to throw in a dumpster. Time to move on to the next house."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House