Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

The only thing I have to worry about with my lawn is to not let it grow so long that the ticks move in.

California City Will Fine Couple $500 For Not Watering Brown Lawn, State Will Fine’em $500 If They Do

Aside from the natural absurdity of the contradictory laws, it actually is a good lesson in why the larger governmental body will almost always prevail in a court battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Harry,
California faces some real tough issues right now. Whether it is in the cities, or rural areas water is becoming scarce. There's a lake 20 miles from my house that's at less than 50% of capacity. The only lakes that are anywhere near full are in LA where water is pumped from other parts of the state through huge water projects. As far as I'm concerned the state should mandate to stop watering of all lawns to save more for farmers, but who I'm I anyway?

I've always been fascinated with California's water system, and the how they provide for 40 million people, and the largest agriculture industry in the nation.

California Aqueduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colorado River Aqueduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles Aqueduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To think that water runoff from Mt Shasta in Northern California can end up coming out of a facet in LA a 1000 miles away is a major feat.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:12 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I'm very aware of the ongoing drought issues in California and the west. If things continue, I would not be surprised if there was a monumental project to bring water from the upper Mississippi basin through tunnels to the area. The Chunnel was eventually built because the economics demanded it, and the population of the Western states is enough that such a project could be viable. Knowing that the Croton and Catskill aqueducts were built and feeding water to NYC over one hundred years ago, using far outdated technology, shows how far people will go for water.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
The thing is California has fought with other states over water (like Colorado river water) and the other states have NO other options. Drive around southern Arizona and there is mostly desert landscaping which needs no watering. Drive around L.A. and there are green lawns everywhere.

But California is RIGHT NEXT to the Pacific Ocean! They have the option of building desalination plants. Yes it is costly, but if they want green lawns so badly, I should think that would be their next option.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:32 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
The thing is California has fought with other states over water (like Colorado river water) and the other states have NO other options. Drive around southern Arizona and there is mostly desert landscaping which needs no watering. Drive around L.A. and there are green lawns everywhere.

But California is RIGHT NEXT to the Pacific Ocean! They have the option of building desalination plants. Yes it is costly, but if they want green lawns so badly, I should think that would be their next option.
Funny that you use Arizona as an example. I was in Phoenix for a funeral a few years back at a home built in the 50's. It had dams all around the yard, so I asked the owner what they were for. Every so many days the city floods the yard with water for irrigation. I had never seen anything like that before.

Honestly, Arizona gets a pretty big share of the water from the Colorado. Nevada, or should we say Las Vegas is the one who's getting screwed. They also get little power from Hoover dam either, because most goes to LA.

Colorado River Compact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-19-2014, 10:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Well again, Arizona and Nevada do not have an ocean next to them, so no other options.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I find it so absurd that western arid homes have 'lawn' grass to begin with. What a monumental waste of time and resources. When I lived in WV I had to mow twice a week just to stay on top of the lawn (no watering needed). What a waste of time... I grew to hate lawns..

When I moved to Montana I was excited to not have to deal with grass. Seriously! I don't have to deal with it anymore. I mow my native grass twice a year with a tractor and a bush hog. I am amazed at how many people spend so much damned money and time on trying to make grass 'grow', only to be a slave and have to cut it every week.

I dunno- I don't get it.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:09 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I find it so absurd that western arid homes have 'lawn' grass to begin with. What a monumental waste of time and resources. When I lived in WV I had to mow twice a week just to stay on top of the lawn (no watering needed). What a waste of time... I grew to hate lawns..

When I moved to Montana I was excited to not have to deal with grass. Seriously! I don't have to deal with it anymore. I mow my native grass twice a year with a tractor and a bush hog. I am amazed at how many people spend so much damned money and time on trying to make grass 'grow', only to be a slave and have to cut it every week.

I dunno- I don't get it.
Same thing here in NC we are on the verge of a water shortage almost every year yet there are people who have to plant and maintain huge grass lawns. Not me, my "lawn" is entirely pine straw which are the long pine needles that grow on the Long leaf pines in this area. 100 Long Leaf Pines gives me a never ending supply.

The Pinehurst Resort renovated their famous Pinehurst #2 golf course to a more natural and less green rough area and also eliminated about 50,000 gals of water for that course. Good enough for the US Open but of course cry babies like Donald Trump (expert at everything) said it ruined the golf course. Saved thousands of dollars in maintenance and watering fees but it's not green enough for his taste. Trump will be waiting a long time before the USGA picks one of his courses for the US Open.

Yes grass is a waste of time and money.I ain't wasting any more of mine on it.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

I dunno- I don't get it.

Agree~ Plus the chemicals folks use to keep them lawns looking great... Just poisoning the soil & water ways! Cancer Lawns! ...:P My whole yard is done in native plants, flowers, grasses that naturally grow here and require no watering or care, drought resistance!

Old 07-19-2014, 12:03 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Amen!

Here in Helena- very arid country- green irrigated lawns abound. I cringe when I see that, absolutely cringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House