Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:40 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times

Advertisements

I recently bought the property that's on the left in the pictures. On the right is a duplex (it's split front-to-back so it doesn't look like a duplex in the front). A renter lives in each of the duplex units to the right.

We have a shared driveway. One of the renters has these extra cars, sometimes they park them in their front yard, why I don't know. What I'm pretty sure is happening here is that one of the renter's extra cars, or possibly a guest but I don't think so, is interpreting that middle area in front of the tree as open for parking use. I'm not precisely sure where the line is, but I'm reasonably confident that car in the picture is about 3-4 feet on my side of the line.

I don't think this was a problem in the past. 1 owner was trying to sell both properties which he uses as rentals. That one on the right is still for sale (I couldn't afford both). The previous rental occupant of the house I bought and one of the renters (pretty sure the one with that car) knew each other well and seemed to share the whole space.

According to the plat, the driveway is split down the middle.

I don't want to go to war over this. It's not a big deal at the moment since I'm not living there and won't be for another 30-45 days while work gets done to the house.

If I did have to go war with the neighbors on this, I would have a survey done, draw a line or parking stripe to mark the property line, and inform them that any cars not authorized by me on my side of line would be towed.

What would be a more gentle, subtle way to deal with this?

My plan later on is to leave about 1 foot of asphalt on my side of the line, then tear up a strip of the asphalt 12-18 inches wide & put some flowers or plants there, or maybe even some fencing, since I'll eventually install privacy fencing on that whole side right of my garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Shared driveway, parking over my line, what would you do about this?-pic-driveway-line.jpg   Shared driveway, parking over my line, what would you do about this?-pic-driveway-better-view-driveway.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 01:09 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
I agree that they probably think that parking in front of the tree does not block access to your garage, or the driveway on the other property.
If it bothers you that much then put a fence up. If you just dig it up and plant something, they will probably just park on the plants.
Doing anything will likely start something with the neighbors. They were living there prior to you buying your house, and no one seemed to have a problem with it. While you are within your rights, you will probably look like a jerk trying to enforce your rights on a 2 foot strip of driveway.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:34 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
I would definitely have a survey done and then put something up in that space to delineate the property line especially since the other home is for sale. You want to make sure that it is clear that this is your property.

And who cares if you look like a jerk for doing so. It's your property and you need to set the boundaries (and soon). Just google adverse possession!

Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Put a couple of those big half-whiskey barrels planted with flowers on your side of the dividing line. They won't park on those!

Old 07-26-2014, 05:08 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
The whiskey barrel is a great idea. Put three of them there with about 3 to 4 inches of small river rock on the bottom for weight and then fill them with flowers. Make sure they are on your side of the designated area. If someone says anything just answer "aren't they beautiful and doesn't that make the front look nice".
What we did one time was dig out about 2 inches deep and laid railroad ties down the ppty line. Worked great.
If you're in an HOA situation then you may need approval.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:20 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,941 times
Good fences make good neighbors.

Get the property survey done and privacy fencing up if you plan to live there. You'll always be the outsider -- home owner vs. renter, new vs. old, etc. etc. If this bothers you now, it will bother you even more once you move in. Not criticism, just fact -- it would eat at me, too.

One four wheel vehicle and the whiskey barrels are pulverized potting soil and impatiens. Plus, they seem a little passive-aggressive vs. "Hi, new neighbors!"-ish to me.

A fence should be covered under your home owner policy if hit. If not, write it in if possible!

Old 07-26-2014, 06:43 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
As long as it is an issue to you then it has to be settled. Get a survey done. Find where the property line actually is. While I personally do not like fences, it certainly is within your rights to install a fence along your property line. I suggest if you do so then make it an attractive one, not one simply to spite your neighbor.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
There is no HOA here.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Just to clarify NRaleigh Mom, I was not implying that red guard was being a jerk about wanting to do something about the driveway. I was just talking about what the neighbors are likely going to think.
The railroad tie or barrels is a great idea.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:58 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Have you tried just talking to them? From what you said they had some kind of agreement with the previous residents. Maybe if you just approach them and tell them that you have plans for the front of your property they will cooperate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House