Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 AM

231 posts, read 575,731 times

Advertisements

I like the side by side with the water attachment. Right now we are renting and it has the freezer on top fridge on the bottom and I hate it. It's so hard to keep things organized. Once we buy this house (in the process of buying the house we are renting) the fridge will be gone and I am buying a new one. The fridge is about 20 years old anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 AM

152 posts, read 458,157 times
We got a good deal on our French door, bottom freezer model at Lowes. Normally we skip the extended warranty but the deal on the Lowes fridge was better than home depot's, and since this is an appliance with a digital panel we went with the ext warranty as well.

I had a standard top freezer for years and years and hated it because I can't even count how many times I had shattered Tupperware from something falling out of the freezer as I was rummaging through it. My new fridge has drawers that allow me to organize the contents and I have yet to drop anything from it.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,326 times
Counter depth French door, external ice/water vendor. LG. Adore it.
It keeps door items cold, uses space efficiently as it doesn't need a long vertical separater between fridge and freezer like the side-by-side, and has a "space-saver" ice maker in the door which doesn't require the loss of door-storage. The deep french doors create a convenient platform at waist-level when a fridge door is open that lets me put multiple items to "compose" my drink or cold-cut snack without moving. (I know - it sounds silly, but i love the little silly stuff too!)

Was warned by people who had side-by-side that they won't store big trays, pizza boxes, large turkeys, etc. This LG has a very useful rollout top tray in the freezer for smaller items like bacon, cheeses, cold cups, ice-bucket for us ice-hounds who need it, whatever.

Looks beautiful. Costs an arm and two legs.

Last edited by tjarado; 07-28-2014 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
... which one is preferred considering the Cost + Trendy as well as electricity saving perspective?
Don't you care about functionality or which would best suit your needs for fridge vs freezer capacity?

Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I have a french door bottom freezer. No fancy tray/drawer in between but I love this design. Most utilities will give you a few $ if you buy an EnergyStar rate one.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
I bought our refrigerator at a scratch-and-dent place. The "scratch" was on the side of the unit. I fixed it myself for under $10 - a can of primer, a can of black appliance paint, and some sandpaper. I got the refrigerator for 50% of what it would have cost to buy it from Best Buy, Lowes, Sears, etc. And it was still considered "new" and was under warranty, and I even got an extended warranty on it.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 PM

122 posts, read 306,559 times
I like the french door option. I was reluctant to try it at first, but I really like not having to bend over to look in my crisper drawer! I'm taking things out/putting them in the drawers a few times a day, but may only go into the freezer every couple of days.

My lesson learned on them, however: I had one in a house where the fridge was in the corner. This doesn't work well. The door against the wall didn't allow me enough clearance to get the deli tray all the way open before hitting the in door shelves. They need to have more than a 90 degrees clearance.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:18 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBeachFun View Post
I like the french door option. I was reluctant to try it at first, but I really like not having to bend over to look in my crisper drawer! I'm taking things out/putting them in the drawers a few times a day, but may only go into the freezer every couple of days.

My lesson learned on them, however: I had one in a house where the fridge was in the corner. This doesn't work well. The door against the wall didn't allow me enough clearance to get the deli tray all the way open before hitting the in door shelves. They need to have more than a 90 degrees clearance.
This is hugely important! Same problem at a relative's house - the fridge is in a corner and one french door will not open fully. It whacks you on the behind while you're looking for the item inside.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:25 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
I have used several kinds and to me (and my wife) the french door freezer on the bottom was by far the most functional.

Counter depth versions are very nice looks wise but costly.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 PM

723 posts, read 868,921 times
I'd like one that doesn't ****ing freeze all the food I put in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House