Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times

Advertisements

Carpet is a deal breaker for me. It never feels clean. I know what comes up off of my hard wood floors every week. Carpet gets cleaned maybe twice a year? That to me is gross. A toasty pair of socks and a comfy pair of slippers is all you need in the winter. Vinyl is another deal breaker. Why not put a good laminate down instead? We put it in one of the rentals almost ten years ago now and it still looks good. It's also way cheaper to clean then hiring a professional to come out and clean nasty carpet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Sanitize your life... hope it works for you.

Personally, I like carpet, in the right places of the house.

Tile sucks in the winter when you put your feet down. Kitchen is OK but bedroom, WTF?

Sound? Do you have an echo in your house?

A good vacuum takes care of pet hair.

I love to sanitize. we have heated wood floors throughout , so no shocker in the dead of winter....No echo, plus we have no indoor pets!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I like carpet in a bedroom. Its a low traffic room, so it stays clean looking and is comfortable on bare feet. Sound deadening is a plus with carpet.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I like carpet for comfort. I hate wearing shoes or socks. I am putting LVT in my soon to be added basement bathroom, laundry room and entry way from the garage. I have laminate in my kitchen/dining and vinyl near my front door & upstairs bathroom. The laminate kitchen floor is cold in the winter, but easy to keep clean. I don't like tile at all--too hard & cold, plus things shatter when dropped. The vinyl in my home has worn very well.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:00 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I don't mind it in the bedroom or even a TV room/home theater, but I much prefer hardwood in the main spaces.

I never understood carpet in the bathroom. Why?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM

152 posts, read 458,121 times
Even though I live in the south, I personally love carpet. But if I were house hunting, the main thing I would consider is how easy or difficult would it be to change out the flooring.

For example, we looked at a few homes that were 100% ceramic tile, which looks beautiful but is very hard on your feet if you like to be barefoot at home. When I researched the cost and effort to rip out ceramic tile, it was a huge turnoff and dealbreaker for us, so we stopped looking at homes that were all tile.

I don't know how expensive or difficult it would be to rip out vinyl flooring, but if it isn't too much, then go with what you like and the next owners of your home can replace it with whatever flooring they like. If it is costly to change out vinyl, then I would probably stick with carpet so that the flooring can be swapped more easily down the road.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Carpet is great, just not everywhere. A house with all vinyl floors should be on wheels.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
I love carpet. It is the most comfortable flooring. My dog loves to sleep on it. I like to exercise on it or even just walk on it. You just need to keep it clean. I steam clean it a couple times a year. Most of my house is ceramic tile but for a living room or bedroom, carpet is best IMO.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:35 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I love carpet. It is the most comfortable flooring. My dog loves to sleep on it. I like to exercise on it or even just walk on it. You just need to keep it clean. I steam clean it a couple times a year. Most of my house is ceramic tile but for a living room or bedroom, carpet is best IMO.
I love the feel of carpet. The dogs love it. Vet says carpet is better for their hips and knees as they are less likely to fall. However, I noticed the vet has tile.

Carpet alway smells to me. Even steam cleaning leaves an odor. And every time we have pulled up the carpet, I am disgusted by the dirt and filth we find.

I don't care how often I vacuum and steam clean, carpets are dirty.

I much prefer hard floors with rugs and thick pads.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 PM

38 posts, read 133,702 times
You guys wouldn't be knocking vinyl if you saw mine first hand!

I put this same Earthscape \ Flexitec vinyl in my previous home back in 2009 and loved it. It looks fantastic, is warm underfoot, has a non-skid surface, is waterproof, and virtually impervious to wear and tear. It's the best flooring I've ever owned. Everyone who sees it thinks it's real hardwood.

Don't be confused by the cheap vinyl products out there; the floor I'm talking about has a foam layer underneath that completely changes the way this floor feels underneath your feet. I would never go back to hardwood or tile after using it.

If you turn your nose up to this product, you're missing out.

Anyway thanks for all the advice folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House