Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,860 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a company to replace approx. 35 ft of band board around the front of my home. My home was built in 1890 and has a crawl space and limestone foundation. The home was added onto at various times over the years. This created chambers with 2 x 2 openings under the home to access each parts of the new addition to the home. The home is a 2 story. What am I looking at in cost? I am having a very difficult time finding a company qualified. I had several companies say they can do the work only to realize I have more knowledge of the situation. This is very concerning. One company did not realize the front porch would need to be torn out to access the left side of the band board. Another co did not realize the porch was settling due to the ground under the porch was not packed properly. Any suggestions on finding an experienced company? I am exhausted looking online/ Angie's list, etc. Friends and family have newer homes and never had this experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 10:18 AM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You'll likely have to find a company that specializes, or at least does a lot of work, in historic structures.

As to cost: a lot. It's really in many ways specialized knowledge and technique.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 PM

346 posts, read 358,645 times
The best way to find a good contractor is through a local or state preservation organization. I live in NH, we have a group called The Preservation Alliance, they are part of the state government and help homeowners and others preserve their historic buildings. That type of organization is where to start. As far as the cost; it will be expensive $100-200 per foot for sill replacement is an average in this part of the country. GL

Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Find a "house moving company".

Yeah, that's right "house moving"- as in the WHOLE HOUSE. They maynot be interested in doing the work (repair), it's not their forte'. But I bet you they will know someone who has the experience to handle that type of work. Because those are the things that usually have to be done "after" the house is moved.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:59 PM

19,775 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Where are you? What state and city? Not a lot to go on to help with your inquiry....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House