Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Just to say, if you look at my location I live right on the great lakes, Harbor Springs is known for its self rising spring water which is sweet and healthful.
For some strange reason, I thought you lived in Alaska!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

If you have children, it is recommended that you give fluoride drops since well water isn't treated with fluoride.
There's a ton of controversy about fluoride in general (good/bad), but every report out there says that Ingesting it (swallowing) has no benefit at all once past the teeth. Simply using a fluoride rinse when brushing teeth is an effective replacement to treated water IF you want fluoride.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
you can have the water tested before you buy.. ask the realtor .. county extension should do it for free. Go from there.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Hi, We are looking to purchase a home built in 1988 that is on well and septic. Definitely not our first choice. The house itself is very much what we would want, but my wife thinks the issue of being on well water is a deal breaker for her.

Do any of you have thoughts you could share as far as your experiences with taste, smell, staining, healthiness, what are your maintenance costs, etc.? We would be most grateful for your experiences and even input that would sway us one way or the other. Thanks!
My husband and I just moved into a house that is on a shared well, after living with city water all our lives.

It is hard water, so we have a water softener, and we live in farming country where there are a lot of nitrates etc., so we have a reverse osmosis filter system for our drinking water. Even before we got that hooked up, our water looked smelled, and tasted great, and now with the RO filer we have no issues whatsoever. Our clothing gets much cleaner looking than when we lived in the city, the whites are especially impressive.

My only worry is if the power goes out, we wouldn't have water for a time, but everyone who lives out here is on a well and no one seems to have had any problems with that, and I always have bottled water on hand because I like it. This was nearly a deal breaker for me, but we really like the location so I'm glad I was able to get over my worries and buy the house.

But it is true that everyplace is different. My sister once told me that in the hospital where she worked, you could always tell which aides were on well water because their uniforms never looked really white.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:08 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
People who are not on well water (on city water) buy bottled water!

I guess you can't please anyone!

(Note in many areas, entire cities are on "well water"...)

Old 09-05-2014, 10:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post

My only worry is if the power goes out, we wouldn't have water for a time, but everyone who lives out here is on a well and no one seems to have had any problems with that, and I always have bottled water on hand because I like it.
It's the toilet that really becomes the issue. This is shared well and no generator? I'd get together with whoever else is on it and go buy a portable generator.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
We have a 200' well and it has a high iron content. It tastes great and is ice cold out of the taps even in the dead of summer. My whites are white.

The iron leaves rust stains in the toilet. For years I struggled with the stains and buildup. Just this last week I picked up a bottle of Lime Away toilet bowl cleaner. Plunged the water almost completely out of the bowl, then applied it up under the rim and started scrubbing.

It was a freaking miracle. I didn't have to really scrub that hard. All the stains are gone. I left a little of the solution in the bottom of the bowl where I would always get mineral buildup on one side. An hour later it was gone. We still can't get over it.

When we bought brass fittings for our tub the sales lady said the well water would corrode them. She was right.

I love our well. We have a generator so power is not an issue. The pump is about fifteen years old and going strong. We had to have the well head resleeved, the original pipe from the sixties had cracked, and the well guy said the new material would go another hundred years.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:45 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Hi, We are looking to purchase a home built in 1988 that is on well and septic. Definitely not our first choice. The house itself is very much what we would want, but my wife thinks the issue of being on well water is a deal breaker for her.

Do any of you have thoughts you could share as far as your experiences with taste, smell, staining, healthiness, what are your maintenance costs, etc.? We would be most grateful for your experiences and even input that would sway us one way or the other. Thanks!
I'm on a well have been on one for many years, best water ever! City water has it own risk and health issues, like added fluoride, chlorine other chemicals even recycled waist goes back into the drinking water, all of the above can lead to or cancer! If your buying a home on a well have it tested, these test are pretty cheap, go to a well digger, most have the test kits, you send in the samples.. Also have it written up in the contract (contingent of the sale ) if water not safe the deal on said propriety will be null!

PS..Go your City Building Dept, they should have all the well logs available, yes it free! It tell how deep the well ours how many gallons per a min, etc, etc.. http://www.banksinfo.com/environment...r-well-search/

Old 09-05-2014, 12:22 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
There are many kinds of wells and pumping systems.

A well log will tell you many things.......most drillers can get the log for you off the internet.

Do not buy the home unless a driller checks the system out.

Most home inspectors do not know how or, won't take the time.

I like to let the water run at least three hours before I check for gallons per minute.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:51 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
The city water in nearly all cases, comes from wells, just as with property with it's own wells.

In most cases, they are drawing water from the same source, unless the well water property is a considerable distance from a city.

We have well water, drawing from an aquifer that is under the area. To make it simple to understand, lets imagine there is a water holding basin under the area. The city draws water about 1/2 mile from our house, from this basin. We draw water from the same basin. Same water both places.

The city due to all the system, does chlorinate the water to keep it safely stored. We do not, as we only have about a 25 gallon pressure tank for storage, and it gets used a few times a day so in is constantly being replaced. Unlike the cit where some of the water in the system may be there for a considerable period of time. Anytime the water sites unused for 2 weeks, it needs to be chlorinated for safety. Our water tastes better, as it is not chlorinated and if you do not know what that is, is basically household bleach used for laundry, and cleaning. Otherwise it is exactly the same water as you get from the town system.

Advantage: Our water only costs for the electricity needed to pump the water. City water has a substantial cost each month.

Water in some areas of the country, has problems such as sulfur, iron, or other ingredient. If you do, a proper filter will get rid of it. We do not. Water from wells, needs tested on an annual basis to make sure it does not have any problems. The city water gets tested at least weekly to make sure it cannot be spreading disease, etc. If you draw water from the same source as the city does like we do, you can watch for any problems the city may announce, such as you need to boil your water at this time, etc.

As your wife is afraid of the well water, draw a bottle of water, take to the county health department or a lab they recommend and have the water tested for purity. You can have the well tested, to find if it can sustain the household without problems which is done by well services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House