Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 03:50 PM

143 posts, read 169,294 times

Advertisements

You don't have as good Internet or cell phone service. You have to rely on electricity for your water (in assuming all rural homes have to rely on wells for water). If you need emergency help it takes longer for them to arrive. You have to have a car because its too far to walk anywhere. You can't walk anywhere. It's lonely because its so wide open and spread out. It seems its mostly older people who like to live in rural areas. Why? Is it because you think think its safer? It has its own dangers just like a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 04:06 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,506 times
Seriously???

Old 09-05-2014, 04:11 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:11 PM

143 posts, read 169,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Seriously???
Yeah.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
:::sigh:::
So clueless...

I'll play along, just for laughs. I live in a rural area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
You don't have as good Internet or cell phone service.
Not true. I have excellent service.

Quote:
You have to rely on electricity for your water (in assuming all rural homes have to rely on wells for water).
Not true again.... and a wrong assumption.

Quote:
If you need emergency help it takes longer for them to arrive.
Yes, untrue again. VFD is minutes away, as is ambulance. Service is quicker here than in a gridlocked city.

Quote:
You have to have a car because its too far to walk anywhere.
Ding, ding, ding... you got one right.

Quote:
You can't walk anywhere.
Rural doesn't mean your legs stop working, you know!

Quote:
It's lonely because its so wide open and spread out.
Not lonely at all! And maybe it is wide open where YOU are, but I have rolling hills and a small mountain range.

Quote:
It seems its mostly older people who like to live in rural areas. Why?
My area is a nice mix. The elementary school has ~700 kids in it... and they don't belong to old people.

Quote:
Is it because you think think its safer? It has its own dangers just like a city.
Who says otherwise?
Yeah, I have bear and snakes and such. Big cities do not.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:37 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Chris,

You'll get as many answers as there are people living in rural areas. All rural areas are not the same so broad generalizations will fail.

Many of us have lived in very large American cities so never make the mistake that we're all country bumpkins with a hay straw stuck in our teeth. We simply prefer rural living regardless of the lack of public services because we enjoy space, solitude, quiet living and a feeling that life should be more about quality than quantity.

When was the last time you saw a golden eagle sitting on a post near your house, a deer in your front yard or walked for miles on a dirt road with no traffic? When was last time you did not hear a wailing siren of an emergency vehicle rushing somewhere or horns beeping in traffic? Does your banker or your postman call you by your first name? If these things are of little concern to you, you are simply in the majority of Americans who desire to live within the comfort zone provided by city services. We do not fault you for your choice of lifestyles. Please do not fault ours.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:49 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
I am grateful for people like the OP, fewer to move to the county and spoil it.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:01 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,103,616 times
I prefer to live in a rural area because I intensely dislike the noise of people/traffic and LOVE nature. I can't imagine being a city dweller and at the mercy of city utilities for one. I also cannot imagine NOT having my hands in soil every day, watching things grow, seeing my dogs run around etc. It was great when I was young and around me wasn't so built up. I had a horse and every couple days I'd saddle up, let loose the dogs, ride to the Rio Grande River and run and run and run! Sure I'm old now, but I want to move even farther out to be away from people.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:16 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,594,158 times
Quote:
You don't have as good Internet or cell phone service. You have to rely on electricity for your water (in assuming all rural homes have to rely on wells for water). If you need emergency help it takes longer for them to arrive. You have to have a car because its too far to walk anywhere. You can't walk anywhere. It's lonely because its so wide open and spread out. It seems its mostly older people who like to live in rural areas. Why? Is it because you think think its safer? It has its own dangers just like a city.

LOL..Really? I live out because I love the peace and quite and beauty of not having nosy folks in my business.....

Old 09-05-2014, 05:18 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,594,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
:::sigh:::
So clueless...

I'll play along, just for laughs. I live in a rural area.

Not true. I have excellent service.

Not true again.... and a wrong assumption.

Yes, untrue again. VFD is minutes away, as is ambulance. Service is quicker here than in a gridlocked city.

Ding, ding, ding... you got one right.

Rural doesn't mean your legs stop working, you know!

Not lonely at all! And maybe it is wide open where YOU are, but I have rolling hills and a small mountain range.

My area is a nice mix. The elementary school has ~700 kids in it... and they don't belong to old people.

Who says otherwise?
Yeah, I have bear and snakes and such. Big cities do not.
Same here, I have all the above...Just less people and I love that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House