Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:23 PM

156 posts, read 440,416 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a refrigerator delivered Wednesday and I've never had an appliance delivered before. From what I've read, the smart thing to do is to thoroughly check it out before signing any papers. The article I read said to plug it in and wait five minutes (I guess to make sure it runs).

Has anyone here done this or do you just sign for it without checking it out?

The other question is that even though the refrigerator can fit down my hallway, I'm worried the delivery people will run into my heirloom bookcase or the wall. It could be a snug fit depending on how the refrigerator is packaged/wrapped and put on the hand cart. I've never had to move anything when my dad rolled the last refrigerator through the hallway, but he actually cared if stuff got damaged. Should I move the bookcase? It's kind of hassle so I just wanted opinions from those who have experience with appliance or furniture deliveries.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 02:11 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
Yes, move the bookcase. Clear as big a path as you can.

They will plug in the fridge and make sure it works. If its been carried on its side, though, and not upright, let it sit a half hour before plugging in to let everything resettle into the compressor.

Enjoy.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:57 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Clear the route, move fragile items away. Make their job getting it into the house as easy as possible. They plug it in, set up all the shelves and such and then give them a tip of an appropriate amount.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:58 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,908,257 times
Generally, a refrigerator will be wheeled in upright on an appliance hand truck and the box will have been removed before they bring it into your house. I had one delivered in 2017 and the delivery guys were very nice and careful. Hope you have the same.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:04 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,195,268 times
My son had a refrigerator delivery, and they told him they would have to do a new delivery, he would have to remove the items in the hallway so they wouldn't damage them. So he had to set up a new delivery. I would move the bookcase.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:29 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Clear the path; it should be unboxed outside. Inspection of cosmetics would be the most immediate action.

The main thing to remember here is most of the deliveries are by third-party entities- they are not the retailer you bought from.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:36 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
I had a dishwasher and range being delivered, while I was painting my kitchen. I cleared all my painting stuff out of the way before they got there. The dude shuffled into my laundry room to turn off the breaker ( which I could easily have done if he had asked) and proceeded to knock over both stacks of supplies, that were completely OUT OF THE WAY. I even pointed out the supplies to him and mentioned that I had moved them into the laundry room so that they were not in the way. He was rude and a lazy azzh013. I asked him to “ please watch where you are going” and he left the house and said he was not coming back in. I told him he was rude and inconsiderate and had no business even being in peoples homes providing service. Yeah I was pissed. I called Sears and told them to not EVER allow them man in my home again. In addition, the dishwasher was damaged, and could not be delivered. Sears canceled the order, refunded my charges, and I repurchased and picked up the appliances myself.

Long story short....delivery people can be complete idiots. Prepare for that.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 11-20-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 03:23 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,775,949 times
Absolutely check it out before you sign off. I had a problem with a Samsung range which was - unbeknownst to me - delivered without one foot. When the delivery guys were installing it, they shimmed the missing leg/foot corner with cardboard! On a gas range. And of course never said a word. It was not visible with the broiler drawer closed so I didn't discover it until I pulled out the drawer days later. Somehow I didn't burn down the house but every time I used the oven the smoke alarm down the hall from the kitchen went off. Turns out the whole unit was defective and was putting out way too much heat for its tolerance.

Obviously I returned it to Lowe's, which was a lengthy and stressful process. The replacement range was also defective but at least they caught the problem before it was installed and cancelled installation minutes before they were scheduled to arrive.

After much hassle with Lowe's, including not crediting me for the two defective ranges, I eventually purchased a GE range which has been perfectly behaved. But it took three months to straighten out the mess. Three months without a range was a very long time.

I now know to go over every nook and cranny of any delivery before signing off. I just looked at the cosmetics of the range, turned it on and off to make sure it worked, and signed off. Who would think to look underneath at its feet? Lesson learned.

I second the comment that delivery people can be complete idiots. I learned later that the two that pulled the cardboard stunt had been fired.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:16 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Definitely give it a good once-over, checking for damage.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 PM

156 posts, read 440,416 times
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Question: Do refrigerators typically come with the doors on or off? Because this bookcase is not moving. I don't think I moved it last time I got a fridge, which was about the same size as the new one. I may have to wrap it up in a heavy blanket.

Last edited by mej1; 11-20-2018 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House