Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:17 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,049,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
And neighbors, my one neighbor is in jail for embezzlement, the other was charged with murder of his wife but got away with it, yea I am really scared.
Do you live down the hall from the creepy dude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 05:17 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,298,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott01 View Post
Sounds like the neighbor we just moved away from. We were never able to resolve the boundary issue with him. He moved in when we had been there 16 years and we would return to find him on our patio. We finally had to put locks on the fence to keep him out. He always had complaints for everything and would stand in the front yard and flag people down just to talk.

I wish I could give advice on how to handle them because we got nowhere with this guy. He would pile junk on our fence that was totally on our property and said he thought it was his because he lived next door to it. When he started burning every weekend and the smoke would fill our house we knew we had to leave.

Other neighbors told us at the time it was such a small issue to have our house stink for three days after his burns and did it really matter if he piled nasty junk on our fence but now that we have moved we are hearing horror stories from neighbors. So the suggestion someone gave you about talking with neighbors is a good one. Since he has been there a long time surely he has pulled stuff on other people.
Aww man, that sounds awful. Thank you for sharing that. I hope you can laugh at it now that it's in the past.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:36 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,618,399 times
I'm more evil than all of ya'll.... (yeah, I'm southern, want some tea? (it's always iced and always sweet...)

I'd lock the trash bin to my fence... yeah, it's his trash can - but it's on YOUR property... and you've asked him not to put it there, so, why not make its permanent home against your fence... Yes, I know it semi-blocks the common area - it's doing that now already... the only difference is that it won't be able to be moved.

Then when Mr. 'Why did you lock my bin to your fence' comes knocking, he'll be at YOUR mercy... and, you'll get a chuckle outta it.... least I would.....

Old 10-27-2014, 11:36 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,298,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I'm more evil than all of ya'll.... (yeah, I'm southern, want some tea? (it's always iced and always sweet...)

I'd lock the trash bin to my fence... yeah, it's his trash can - but it's on YOUR property... and you've asked him not to put it there, so, why not make its permanent home against your fence... Yes, I know it semi-blocks the common area - it's doing that now already... the only difference is that it won't be able to be moved.

Then when Mr. 'Why did you lock my bin to your fence' comes knocking, he'll be at YOUR mercy... and, you'll get a chuckle outta it.... least I would.....
That's funny. I'd never do that. But, he's been keeping his trash bin more on his property and off my fence. He still partially blocks the walkway, but it's obvious that it's his trash bin and not mine.

Maybe the note did the trick and he's begrudgingly being less obnoxious.

So, for me, it's a dropped issue.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,997,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
That's funny. I'd never do that. But, he's been keeping his trash bin more on his property and off my fence. He still partially blocks the walkway, but it's obvious that it's his trash bin and not mine.

Maybe the note did the trick and he's begrudgingly being less obnoxious.

So, for me, it's a dropped issue.
I'm glad he finally got the message! What he was doing would have driven me crazy.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:49 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,250,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
You can buy adhesive house numbers and put his house number on the trash bin.
Great idea.....He is not likely to want folks to know he keeps forgetting his garbage can.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Mack Knife, thank you for your detailed post. Since I had a fence installed, he can't get onto my property. Great info, though!
Just curious. Did you install it to prevent his intrusion? And, all you folks demeaning the OP....This neighbor guy is the problem....not the OP.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:02 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,924,369 times
I think you are half of the problem.
Leave it alone.
Why is it bothering you?
It's not on your property is it?
Let the HOA complain to him.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-29-2014 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Remove Personal Attack

Old 10-27-2014, 01:11 PM

Wondering, where did he place his garbage can prior to your having installed a fence? If it was in the same area....he likely hasn't given a thought to it bothering you.

If this is a whole new thing, perhaps a reaction to your fencing.....just put your can right next to his....I will bet he will move his can over because if he is trying to be cantankerous you've simply joined him. That will make him try something else. Curious to know what he does.

If he is placing it there to prevent animals or kids from accessing the walkway because it is a hazard that is one thing......but if it is meant to be accessible.....all you can do is follow the many suggestions....or report him, and keep doing so.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:54 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,294,512 times
Quote:
Firstly, my next-door-neighbor is a nosey tool. No really, he is.

He's made snarky remarks about my house.
Before I built a fence around my yard, he's come into my yard uninvited.
I've seen him dropping his loose trash into other neighbors' trash bins.

He's been in his house since it was built (24 years); I moved into my home 5 months ago. We both own.

Ultimately, he's a bit of an a$$ and he has boundary issues.

His latest habit is keeping his big trash bin right up against my backyard fence (not in his yard, but against the part of my fence that is along the community walkway--obstructing part of the walkway). It's strange because his yard is not fenced in and there is plenty of room for his trash bin. I guess he just doesn't want to sully his yard by keeping his trash bin on his property.

The first time I noticed it, I moved the bin to the sidewalk (where community trash is picked up). A little passive-aggressive on my part, I know. He moved it back to in front of my fence. I don't like knocking on neighbors' doors unannounced so... Yesterday, I placed a very nice note on the trash bin and moved it away from my fence. The note said "Hello, please stop putting your trash bin on my fence. I keep my trash bin on my own property because it's an eyesore to others and inconvenient to those passing by the property. Thank you! Very respectfully....your neighbor."

Today, the trash bin is back on my fence.

I want to go to the HOA, but I'm not sure if this is silly. It's annoying as hell, but is it a silly thing to take to HOA? Also, the last thing I want is a neighbor feud. The HOA docs state that trash bins should be stored out of sight on non-pick up days.

And, yes, I know the bin is his. He keeps his recycle bin in his yard (just not the trash bin).
There is nothing silly about any of this. It's annoying you, so you must deal with it.

I think you writing the note was a great idea and it's well worded. The problem might be, you don't know who is putting the cans out and you don't know who moved them or took them in or whatever. You also don't know for sure if the letter was read by anyone.

Before you go to the HOA, I would try one more thing. Write another copy of the letter, and don't mention the other letter because for all your know the rain washed it off and it was tossed like trash.

Address it directly to the neighbor who is in charge of that household and send it by postal mail. Don't register it or anything like that, just put it in postal mail with a simple stamp on it. Make sure you hand write on the address on the outside of the envelope to personalize it. The letter inside should be written using your computer so there is no miscommunication about handwriting.

Send the letter in the postal mail and allow a week to go by. If the problem is still there, then you can go knock on the door and speak to them about it. If they say they will take care of it, good, allow them one more time and if they don't, go to the HOA. If they give you a hard time or some lame excuse that they won't do it, still allow a week to see if they finally decide to take action to correct it before contacting the HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House