Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:06 AM

120 posts, read 119,666 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are buying a house at the end of this month that needs a new roof. We are trying to weigh the initial cost of purchase versus savings when it comes to homeowner's insurance and/or efficiency.

I was interested in a metal roof due to the fact it deflects heat and looks "cool" to me. However, I haven't had confirmation from any insurance agents that a metal roof is actually going to help lower a homeowner's premium versus other roofing materials.

My partner likes the idea of architectural shingles due to their longevity but I am not sure if any discount on homeowners insurance over time is going to offer cost savings that will really benefit us over purchasing regular asphalt shingles.

Our house is in the metro Atlanta area in Georgia so there are not any frequent weather events that would really dictate the requirement of one type of roofing material over another.

Has anyone else gone through a similar situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:34 AM

10,122 posts, read 6,490,320 times
What style is your soon-to-be home? That would be my first consideration. A metal roof doesn't look right on a lot of home styles. Also, a proper standing seam metal roof is probably going to cost up to 2X the amount of a regular shingle roof. As far as using architectural shingles v regular, 3-tab shingles, hardly any decent roofers use 3-tab anymore except for the very cheapest applications. They look cheap and don't hold up as well. If you hold an architectural shingle and a 3-tab shingle in your hand, you can feel the difference in the weight. I wouldn't worry as much about saving on your homeowners insurance premium as installing the best quality roof for the home you will have. BTW, architectual shingles have also become pretty much the standard now, so you might want to consider that as well if you ever plan on resale.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:50 AM

23,646 posts, read 70,634,905 times
If you plan on selling or if that is a possibility in the next 20 years, just go cheap. Insurance companies are increasingly refusing to insure homes that haven't been re-roofed within 15 years - REGARDLESS of the condition of the roof.

Metal is good and bad. It can be a permanent roof, but if there is a house fire, it won't vent and firefighters will have a tougher time putting out a fire. It will also affect reception of radio and tv, etc. inside the home. If you plan on harvesting rainwater (great for plant watering and laundry) it can be fantastic for that as long as the metal is painted with non-toxic paint.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 AM

324 posts, read 839,895 times
We looked into a metal roof when we had ours redone last year, and it actually would have increased the cost of our homeowner's insurance. Also, the cost to have it done was more than 2x what we paid for asphalt architectural shingles. It would have looked nice, as our house is a cape cod style farmhouse, but we couldn't justify the extra $$$.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,566,667 times
Default What?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you plan on selling or if that is a possibility in the next 20 years, just go cheap. Insurance companies are increasingly refusing to insure homes that haven't been re-roofed within 15 years - REGARDLESS of the condition of the roof.

Metal is good and bad. It can be a permanent roof, but if there is a house fire, it won't vent and firefighters will have a tougher time putting out a fire. It will also affect reception of radio and tv, etc. inside the home. If you plan on harvesting rainwater (great for plant watering and laundry) it can be fantastic for that as long as the metal is painted with non-toxic paint.
Have you got any links from unbiased sources that would support ANY of these negatives? Aside from COST and the fact that some roofers are not qualified to do the installation I have never heard anyone say "metal roof can be bad" unless they work for a firm that stands to lose from it...

I am far from sold on putting metal roofs on every home but neither do I find it helpful to spread unsubstantiated rumors...

My cousin is a highly trained firefighter. He recently re-roofed his vacation home with a new metal roof and I am sure he would not do so if it posed any special risk to local firefighters, the environment or even insurance risk. He knows how to be sure that things are "done right" and anyone shopping for a metal roof should similarly do their research!

Old 07-17-2015, 11:46 AM

120 posts, read 119,666 times
It is a 1930's bungalow. I guess from the responses I am leaning towards doing the architectural shingles.

I appreciate you guys' input!

Old 07-17-2015, 12:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,566,667 times
Default There are LOTS of good options for a home of your vintage in your climate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahut2000 View Post
It is a 1930's bungalow. I guess from the responses I am leaning towards doing the architectural shingles.

I appreciate you guys' input!
Frankly it makes LOTS MORE SENSE to talk to qualified local roofers and even local real estate agents.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:19 PM

17,485 posts, read 66,268,425 times
(You) maynot have "frequent" weather events- but it can get FREEKY as Hell at times!

And you're also in the middle of Georgia's TORNADO ALLEY- in case you didn't know.

Metal roof- hidden fastener/standing seam will cost 2-2.5 times what a shingle roof will; but will last 70yrs. Is fire resistant, holds extremely well to high winds due to the way it is anchored. There are also metal shingles- unless you know specifically what to look for most people cannot identify them for a regular architectural grade shingle or shake roof.

An architectural grade shingle has a 30yr warranty and stands up well to hail and wind damage due to its weight and density.

A typical 3-tab shingle has a 25yr warranty and is rather susceptible to hail and wind damage.

Is the house in the Fair Oaks area- Marietta, Dobbins, FO? Some of those homes are really beautiful- but a lot need TLC.

You should also check with your H/O insurance carrier- as harry mentioned ins co's are getting very picky about roofs- especially here in ATL because of the "FREEKY" weather.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,025,017 times
It depend location. Most steel roofs require better insulation to not heat space below. For frequent hail areas they may dent but not as easily or leak. Warranty wise most are 25 year warranty because its painted steel if not galvanized that self heals to extent.To replace singles its about twice the price and has to be done correctly including fasteners spacing. Lots of poor jobs as roofer friend said on steel home roofing to cut price.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:41 PM

8,089 posts, read 10,121,437 times
Standing seam metal roof, versus shingles, makes a difference in your homeowners insurance? Or did I misread the post?

(Yes, I understand, that standing seam is twice as costly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House