Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 09:13 AM

741 posts, read 1,750,715 times

Advertisements

Please advice your suggestions on the oil-filled radiator heaters instead of using electrical heaters in terms of cost efficiency and effectiveness.

DeLonghi Safeheat 1500-Watt Portable Oil-Filled Radiator-TRD0715T at The Home Depot

Optimus 700-Watt Mini Oil-Filled Radiator Portable Heater-H6002 at The Home Depot

vs
Lasko 9.2 in. 1500-Watt Electric Portable Ceramic Compact Heater-754200 at The Home Depot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:59 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Compare apples-to-apples...

Electricity is 100% efficient.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:19 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
Please advice your suggestions on the oil-filled radiator heaters instead of using electrical heaters in terms of cost efficiency and effectiveness.

DeLonghi Safeheat 1500-Watt Portable Oil-Filled Radiator-TRD0715T at The Home Depot
I've had a version of this one for more than 20 years. It still works great and I have never noticed any huge bills associated with it.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
They provide the same amount of BTU's for the same price. All electric heaters cost the same per BTU. How they differ is how effectively they distribute the heat. The oil filled heater will take longer to heat up and longer to cool down. They generally have more surface area so do a better job of heating a larger volume of air. They provide a more comfortable heat similar to hot water radiators.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:41 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Because of the way they work, it is useful to de-rate the oil filled heaters to about 2/3 or the stated wattage. The efficiency is the same, but because the temperature of the surface of the heater is thermostatically limited, they tend to spend more time with the electric element inside powered off.

Example: Your bathroom is 55 degrees, you want to get it to 70 so you can take a shower. With a radiant heater, you crank the thermostat up to high and it stays on continuously. With an oil filled heater, you crank it up to high and once the oil temperature inside reaches the safety limit, the element turns off and only the heated oil is adding heat to the room. Since the actual electric element is off about 1/3 of the time, it puts out only 2/3rds the heat of a heater that is on continuously during a fixed amount of time. (If your bathroom is 35 degrees, it might stay on all the time because the oil is being cooled faster, but once it gets closer to room temperature the cycling of the heating element will begin.)

The heat from oil filled is a nice even heat, and they work best in areas that you want to keep constantly warm.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:57 PM

274 posts, read 353,556 times
A major advantage to oil-filled for me is that they're quiet ...

Old 11-17-2014, 09:43 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
Oil filled = excellent for maintaining a comfortable temp in an enclosed space with no drafts
Radiant = directional, better for spot heating
Convection = better at distributing heat despite drafts and quickly heating large cold areas

Oil filled is the more cost efficient option as long as the goal is to heat an entire room to a consistent temperature. They're not good for areas with extreme temp differentials (large space, high ceilings, lots of leakage/drafts) where heating all of the air isn't a viable option.

Bottom line, IF you can use an oil filled radiator, it's the more comfortable/economical choice. But they're not good for spot heating or areas with a lot of cold air flow.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:21 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon2 View Post
A major advantage to oil-filled for me is that they're quiet ...
I have one very similar to the delonghi oiled heater you showed.

I don't use it any more as I ditched my cold blooded gf a few years ago. It did work great though to keep the bedroom alittle warmer at night. Very quiet and comfy type heat.

If power was shut off and back on ... I recall it would reset itself to a very high temp setting ( like 79 degrees ) Which I really thought was a bad feature. I caught it the few times it happened early then kept my eye on it

Besides that I was very happy with it - the girlfriend ....... not so much

Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
One relative advantage of the oil-filled heaters is that the surface does not get hot enough to burn lint in the air into tiny wisps of black carbon, like a hot-wire type heater does. So they are a bit cleaner.

I have had them for ages, usually I run mine on the lower of 2 wattage settings. Typically they have 2 switches along with the thermostat, frequently 600 and 900 W.

It is important to realize that the cost to heat a certain room with any electric heater (except a heat pump) is *exactly* the same, regardless of wattage, type of electric heater (oil-filled, hot wire, heat lamp, even those goofy Eden Pure heaters that shine heat lamps on quartz crystals - it all works exactly the same.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
In Europe, many use DeLonghi portable, oil filled radiators as the only source of heat for unheated rooms. I always found they worked quite well and I felt they were safer then other types. Some models have a programmable timer which is a good feature especially in a bedroom to turn it on an hour or so before bed time, lower when sleeping then back to high before getting up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House