Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:50 PM

388 posts, read 688,721 times

Advertisements

We are getting a new W/D set on Saturday. We are very excited because ours is OLD, dryer doesn't work as well as it should and our new set will be DARK PURPLE!!
They are from the Kenmore Elite line.

This is my first high end W/D front loader HE purchase. And I have questions:

- Should I use a particular kind of detergent? Like should I only use Tide? I ask because I always see little samples with W/D and they are Tide. Kenmore website doesn't list anything specific.

- If you have a front loader, do you find it cleans clothes decently well? Any drawbacks?

- What's the best way to keep it clean both inside and out? I read that someone uses furniture polish on theirs to keep dust and lint away.

- If you have an HE and have the pedestals,what do you keep in them beside laundry soap? Do you think we could put batteries (in a battery box) and things like our plug in refills, etc? I am not sure if it would be ok.

- We can't tell why with our current W/D but the washer moves a lot. It might be one of the feet aren't on right or it could be the floor is sloping a bit. IF it is sloping, what can we do to make sure the new one moves as little as possible? Or will the repairman be able to help us?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 06:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,728 posts, read 81,641,337 times
Ours is a Samsung, but we love it. We use the HE detergent from Costco Kirkland Brand), far less expensive than Tide and works great. Though the modern front loader does not have the same mold issues as the earlier ones,
we leave the door open for 24 hours after the last load to let it air out. We find that it vibrates less than the old Calypso top loader we had before. Under them we keep soap, bleach, rolls of paper towels, the Little Green Machine (carpet/upholstery cleaner), and other cleaning products under it, but I built the platform so we have a full 12" height of space. There are no problems with keeping anything under there, no heat or anything even from the dryer. We just use window cleaner on the outsides for cleaning it up, but it really doesn't get dirty, just fingerprints on the chrome and glass doors.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Ours is a Samsung, but we love it. We use the HE detergent from Costco Kirkland Brand), far less expensive than Tide and works great. Though the modern front loader does not have the same mold issues as the earlier ones,
we leave the door open for 24 hours after the last load to let it air out. We find that it vibrates less than the old Calypso top loader we had before. Under them we keep soap, bleach, rolls of paper towels, the Little Green Machine (carpet/upholstery cleaner), and other cleaning products under it, but I built the platform so we have a full 12" height of space. There are no problems with keeping anything under there, no heat or anything even from the dryer. We just use window cleaner on the outsides for cleaning it up, but it really doesn't get dirty, just fingerprints on the chrome and glass doors.
We use the Costco dishwasher tabs! We love them! I might have to try the detergent. Do you use the pods or liquid?

Thanks for your list. Glad to know others had a similar idea and it works!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:29 PM

18,507 posts, read 31,738,069 times
just exactly what does a "high end" dryer do besides dry clothes?

I'm actually interested because my SIL spent 800 bucks on a dryer, and I can't imagine what it could possibly do "better" than my clothesline?, (well maybe a little)......Now, I know I'm old school, but really, for 300 bucks maybe even less a dryer would just dry clothes the same way?, wouldn't it, shouldn't it?

What does a "high end" dryer do?

The purple sounds cool and all that, especially if your laundry room is pretty visual.....but I'm a little skeptible on all this "high end" type of appliances.....

a fridge sub-zero or Amana still cools the milk, a stove viking or GE still cooks the eggs.....

maybe I am really old school and am totally missing something here.

again, not to knock you for getting them, its totally with your right, Im really am just curious as to dry clothes, how does it do it better?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:33 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,306,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

I'm actually interested because my SIL spent 800 bucks on a dryer, and I can't imagine what it could possibly do "better" than my clothesline?, (well maybe a little)......Now, I know I'm old school, but really, for 300 bucks maybe even less a dryer would just dry clothes the same way?, wouldn't it, shouldn't it?

The purple sounds cool and all that, especially if your laundry room is pretty visual.....but I'm a little skeptible on all this "high end" type of appliances.....

a fridge sub-zero or Amana still cools the milk, a stove viking or GE still cooks the eggs.....

again, not to knock you for getting them, its totally with your right, Im really am just curious as to dry clothes, how does it do it better?
I don't have a high end laundry system (doesn't that sound better than "washer & dryer"? ), but my aunt did get a nice GE Profile set. The dryer takes the settings from the washer, so always dries appropriately. I do not know how much she paid for it; she got the set several years ago.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,728 posts, read 81,641,337 times
We use the Kirkland liquid soap.

HE is not high end, it's high efficiency. They use much less soap, water, and electricity but must use the HE type.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Not sure as I've never owned one before. I'll have to let you know.

Compared to what we have now, it has about 12 dryer settings and steam.
I personally cannot stand clothes dried on a line. They don't smell great (to me) and they are crunchy or rough.

But I do know it's popular with some folks.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,094,149 times
The brand of detergent doesn't matter, as long as it is rated for HE appliances. I think the HE detergent is less sudsy. I use very little per load, so while I also use the Costco detergent, the savings is not huge because the amounts are so small.

I keep the doors to both washer and dryer closed, but that is mostly because my cat likes to sleep in them if I leave the door open. I haven't had any mold or smell issues.

There are a couple of small advantages to the front loading appliances. They are more energy efficient than older appliances, they can handle larger loads, and the gentle hand-wash cycle really is gentle enough for sweaters and other delicates, unlike a top loader.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:32 PM

22,680 posts, read 47,882,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
- Should I use a particular kind of detergent? Like should I only use Tide?
I started using HE... then a repairman told me I did not have to use that. Ever since, I use regular Kirkland liquid (Costco), in a very tiny amount.

Quote:
- If you have a front loader, do you find it cleans clothes decently well? Any drawbacks?
They get very clean! The only drawback IMHO is that you cannot dye in it.

Quote:
- What's the best way to keep it clean both inside and out? I read that someone uses furniture polish on theirs to keep dust and lint away.
Inside stays clean since I run a bleach load once a week. Outside... just a damp cloth.

Quote:
- If you have an HE and have the pedestals,what do you keep in them beside laundry soap?
No pedestals for me.

Quote:
- We can't tell why with our current W/D but the washer moves a lot. It might be one of the feet aren't on right or it could be the floor is sloping a bit. IF it is sloping, what can we do to make sure the new one moves as little as possible? Or will the repairman be able to help us?
Make sure it is level. Mine does not move.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:49 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,597,830 times
Quote:

It can steam clothes as ours does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House