Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,867,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
And on some of them, the dryer's cycle will be a lot longer. Our new HE dryer for example uses some sort of energy saving lower heat level, but it takes a log longer- the normal cotton load is 80 minutes! (that's the time it actually shows on the display when setting to cotton, before it even starts- and does indeed take that long to dry). So I think we probably end up using as much electricity for each load as we would with the old machine, it just takes twice as long.
Sounds like a GE dryer. I did a lot of research on washers and dryers on reviewed.com to make sure I was getting the features and performance I wanted, and I'm very happy with the appliances I ended up choosing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:21 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,630,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Sounds like a GE dryer. I did a lot of research on washers and dryers on reviewed.com to make sure I was getting the features and performance I wanted, and I'm very happy with the appliances I ended up choosing.
Yep, mine is a GE, unfortunately.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,001,154 times
HE liquid detergent has more water added to it.

I use regular diluted Tide.........been doing it for 10 years now with no ill effects. 10 year old GE profile purchased new in 2004.

HE or diluted, I get the same amount of suds.......very little.

I never use powdered detergent as I only wash with cold water.

You do understand most people overload their washers (all kinds) and dryers and then don't understand why their clothes don't come clean and take so long to dry.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,493,436 times
I will say, the steam function on high end dryers is a nice feature. Outside of that though, yup, it just dries clothes. Is that worth triple the cost or more? The high end washers are of even less value. They are a bit more efficient on soap, water and electricity, but otherwise just a lot of bells and whistles, which are just more things to go bad and need replacing. Parts/service for these machines are not cheap either. They don't do anything a $200 washer can't do. I don't actually do laundry, but my wife preferred our old basic washer. And I don't want to scare the OP, but we had a set of Kenmore Elites and had nothing but problems with the washer.

They do look nice, but I would never buy another high end W/D set. They're just not worth it to me.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:57 PM

198 posts, read 413,849 times
I store paper towels and toilet paper in the pedestal drawers under my LG frontload washer and dryer. I do use HE detergent. (I like Gain detergent.) The reason you need to use HE is because it is low sudsing. With the decreased amount of water that each cycle uses, it might be difficult to get all of the soap bubble rinsed out if you use regular detergent. I also keep the doors open when not in use but not fully open. Instead, I bought 2 plastic hooks with adhesive on the back. I attached one to the front of the door near the handle and the other on the side of the machine. I then take a large rubber band and stretch it between the two hooks. The rubber band keeps the door ajar so that air can circulate and dry it without the door having to stay wide open. I also installed my machines on a large piece of stall mat. It cuts down on vibration and noise and the machines do not move.

One thing I missed when I got my new washer was the ability to soak my shower curtain liner (fabric, not vinyl) which I like to do every month or so. What I have found that I can do is that whenever I run a tub clean cycle (with bleach), I use that as an opportunity to throw in the liner. The tub clean cycle fills up higher than a regular cycle and also sits and soaks for part of the time and the liner comes out really clean.

I have had my machines for 6 years and like them very much.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:20 PM

384 posts, read 508,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
And on some of them, the dryer's cycle will be a lot longer. Our new HE dryer for example uses some sort of energy saving lower heat level, but it takes a log longer- the normal cotton load is 80 minutes! (that's the time it actually shows on the display when setting to cotton, before it even starts- and does indeed take that long to dry). So I think we probably end up using as much electricity for each load as we would with the old machine, it just takes twice as long.
Make sure you aren't using that "auto sensing" feature. We have that on ours and it does take a while on that setting. Instead, we just use the time and temp setting as we know how long it should take. That seems to work for us all the time. The clothes that say to dry on low get 40 or 50 minutes (depending on how big the load is), and regular cotton stuff just gets 50 min on medium). Only time I use high is for drying towels because it'll finish a lead of beach towels in like 40 minutes on that setting (it's REALLY hot).

And yes, I think it's a GE. Never had any issues with it. And LOVE that we can have a counter top over the washer and dryer (no pedestals) - really helps for space utilization.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:40 PM

388 posts, read 687,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The brand of detergent doesn't matter, as long as it is rated for HE appliances. I think the HE detergent is less sudsy. I use very little per load, so while I also use the Costco detergent, the savings is not huge because the amounts are so small.

I keep the doors to both washer and dryer closed, but that is mostly because my cat likes to sleep in them if I leave the door open. I haven't had any mold or smell issues.

There are a couple of small advantages to the front loading appliances. They are more energy efficient than older appliances, they can handle larger loads, and the gentle hand-wash cycle really is gentle enough for sweaters and other delicates, unlike a top loader.
The other perk that our new set has is that the dryer has a rack for sweaters and sneakers, if desired. We have a really old HE washer/dryer set. It was one of the first ones to come out. Compared to other W/D's I've had in my life, I have to say that this set is really limited on features. And that is what I am looking forward to the most. Also, this one has a soak feature, which our current (about to replaced set) lacks.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It doesn't actually do anything except...dry clothes. The key is the way it LOOKS. If you have a kitchen with granite countertops and stainless appliances, these fancy-schmantzy machines carry that "expensive" look right into your laundry room. It's home decor, gone high-hat.

Our new ones aren't stainless. For the "high hat" record.

Yes, they do use less soap, water, and electricity. That's AFTER you spend the big bucks to get those machines in the first place. Over the life of the machines, it's NET-NET in regards to funds spent. You aren't saving any money, and you aren't saving the environment (or you'd use a clothesline, if it was that important to you). You are making a fashion statement. But to each, his own...
Says who? Do you have proof of this? Because unless you have financial and ecological statements over years, that can be validated by a unbiased third party, I really don't want to hear this crap. If you will read my original post, it clearly asks for information from folks that own HE W/D. Not those who have an "opinion". It's clear underneath all your judgement, you somehow feel envious. I'm sorry we used our current washer and dryer day after day and after 15 years, it's time to be replaced. And I'm sorry that I stumbled upon an excellent deal for both my new W/D. Like absurdly excellent.

And for all these people that crow about using clothes lines is best for the environment: GET OFF THE COMPUTER. You do realize that each time you log on, you are using electricity? And that harms the environment? I'm so sick of people thinking that because someone spends a little more on something or wants a particular brand, somehow we are sh*tty people that lack any sort of conscience. Enough already.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I will say, the steam function on high end dryers is a nice feature. Outside of that though, yup, it just dries clothes. Is that worth triple the cost or more? The high end washers are of even less value. They are a bit more efficient on soap, water and electricity, but otherwise just a lot of bells and whistles, which are just more things to go bad and need replacing. Parts/service for these machines are not cheap either. They don't do anything a $200 washer can't do. I don't actually do laundry, but my wife preferred our old basic washer. And I don't want to scare the OP, but we had a set of Kenmore Elites and had nothing but problems with the washer.

They do look nice, but I would never buy another high end W/D set. They're just not worth it to me.
Yep! Sure is! Totally, 100% worth it.

My grandparents owned nothing but Kenmore. They never had an issue after 40+ years of marriage and 7 kids.

Any and all issues are covered for the next 6 years with our additional coverage/warranty. And I think you meant to say they do things that a $200 washer cannot do. I mean, truly, where do you find a $200 washer? The bottom of the barrel ones we actually looked at were $499. And these were not HE.

And if you didn't think high end sets are worth it, why did you even own a set of Kenmore Elites?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
Make sure you aren't using that "auto sensing" feature. We have that on ours and it does take a while on that setting. Instead, we just use the time and temp setting as we know how long it should take. That seems to work for us all the time. The clothes that say to dry on low get 40 or 50 minutes (depending on how big the load is), and regular cotton stuff just gets 50 min on medium). Only time I use high is for drying towels because it'll finish a lead of beach towels in like 40 minutes on that setting (it's REALLY hot).

And yes, I think it's a GE. Never had any issues with it. And LOVE that we can have a counter top over the washer and dryer (no pedestals) - really helps for space utilization.
This is an excellent point. We have a sensor setting on our current set (it's a Maytag) and it too takes forever. But if we choose the time or setting ourselves it worked (past tense - why we are getting a new set) best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House