Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 05:29 PM

170 posts, read 1,014,819 times

Advertisements

The last (only) time I purchased a water heater it came bundled with the gas line installation. That was 13+ years ago.
Discovered today I need to replace this water heater, 40 gallon Natural Gas.

Figured I'd pose the question before I trot over to Lowes and get their least expensive 40gal tank. Any advice appreciated on selection and installation gotchas?

e.g. last year I purchased a new stove from Lowes with the $65 install. They wouldn't disconnect the old stove, but did carry it outside. They wouldn't connect the new stove, but carried it into the kitchen. I spent the next 3 hours installing a stove. Worked out OK just hadn't planned for the time required.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
You may need a permit to install it. Check on that before you go. Also, building codes have likely changed in the last 13 years. Do you have an expansion tank on it, do you have a blowoff to the outside of the house? I'm not sure what is required here, but these are some of the things required when I had my water heater replaced 2 years ago. Perhaps some of the building inspectors on the forum can chime in.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:46 PM

502 posts, read 1,740,777 times
I would recommend calling a plumber. If you shop around, you can probably find one that will do it for a reasonable price. One thing you need to find out is if you have a power vent or not. If you do, then the price of that heater is about $200-300 more. If you do, there will be a fan on top of the heater and it will most likely vent out to a PVC pipe out the side of your house instead of through a traditional chimney.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunWon View Post
e.g. last year I purchased a new stove from Lowes with the $65 install. They wouldn't disconnect the old stove, but did carry it outside. They wouldn't connect the new stove, but carried it into the kitchen. I spent the next 3 hours installing a stove. Worked out OK just hadn't planned for the time required.
TIA
What kind of stove was this? Gas stove? For gas appliances, I've actually found PSNC quite competitive in their products and installation costs.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
- If you are in Cary, installing a new water heater requires a permit
- You will have to add an expansion tank if you do not already have one (slim chance at 13 years old, but not very expensive)
- can you sweat pipes if you have copper, or have the crimping tool for polybutylene/pex plumbing? (the crimping tool is about $100, if you don't have one I would call a plumber simply because install is not much more than that and you probably wont need the crimper again for a long time)

just a few things that ran across my mind, good luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 PM

Thinking I can rent that crimp tool if so will be easier than replacing the PEX with 20' of copper. Though I do have enough MAP gas & solder to do this job.

Lowes quoted $1,100 + $75 permit + $35 spec visit + expansion tank.. Wow!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 PM

5 posts, read 21,616 times
This past summer we had our water heater moved from the attic level, down to the basement level. We put in a 75 gal. water heater. We used Rural Plumbing/Heating, as we've used them for years. They did a fine job, all to code. Our home is twenty years old and we've practically rebuilt it inside and out, even the water pipes/plumbing replaced. New roof, siding, floors. Now the driveway needs replacing! What next?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 AM

Is there a good reason to use PEX over copper to connect tank to house copper plumbing?

I would think copper would be better to electrically ground the tank to slow corrosion/electrolysis.

btw:The crimp tool for PEX rents for $15.

Last edited by CajunWon; 02-06-2008 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 28,584 times
Have you considered a heat-on-demand? I just had to replace my old WH - new code in Raleigh says a capacity tank and power cut-off at the tank is necessary, and an inspector had to come check it. I like the tankless heater because of the room it would free up and the energy savings, but I have electric only; there's little energy savings with them over an efficient tank heater, and cost to install was crazy (additional power lines and such). The gas ones are another story, though; check out HomeTips Article: On-Demand and Tankless Hot Water Heaters and other web sites for savings, etc.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:56 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunWon View Post
Thinking I can rent that crimp tool if so will be easier than replacing the PEX with 20' of copper. Though I do have enough MAP gas & solder to do this job.

Lowes quoted $1,100 + $75 permit + $35 spec visit + expansion tank.. Wow!
My 40 gallon direct-vent water heater leaked (pretty much the entire contents of the heater) into my garage while I was on vacation one summer. I came back for a couple of days to try to get it replaced, and was charged about $900. I am not sure if the plumber pulled a permit on that replacement though--how can I tell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House