Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 03:38 PM

146 posts, read 293,862 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for refinishing? The finish has some discoloration and some dings. I have these two pieces plus a table with two leafs but no chairs. It was purchased by my grandmother sometime in the 70's. It was manufactured by Drexel and is solid as a rock!
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with this old furniture?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 03:40 PM

This is the other piece
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with this old furniture?-image.jpg  

Old 11-23-2014, 03:51 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
These are really interesting pieces, and probably expensive originally.

I would perk them up with my treatment of the interior of the china cabinet. Temporarily remove the glass shelves on the china closet, then either paint, wallpaper, or cover with fabric the entire interior. Add the shelves back. Then take a color perhaps from the interior and use it for accessories you set on the buffet.

You could use grass cloth for one look, ikat fabric for another, or just use paint of a lovely color that compliments the room.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:00 PM

479 posts, read 2,224,370 times
Love it!
I like the multicolored vintage look; I have no idea how one would go about doing this (and it seems like it would be pretty difficult project) but I think it is a cool look.
Something like this... Classic Home Vintage Multi Color Two Part Cabinet 59912719 USA - Classic Home Furnishings - Largest Selection of Classic Home Vintage Multi Color Two Part Cabinet 59912719 with unbelievable price and prestige brands under one roof California, USA | C or Classic Home Vintage Reclaimed Print Block Server - Fashion Furniture - Serving Table Fresno, Madera, River Park
Good luck; keep us posted regarding what you end up deciding to do! :-)

Old 11-23-2014, 05:37 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Apartment Therapy's "Before & After" has lots of examples of furniture that's been given a makeover:

Before & After | Apartment Therapy

Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
You have some really good furniture there. Drexel cabinetry is some of the best out there, especially their vintage pieces. What a treasure!

Personally I really love the color of the finish. It's timeless. Is there any way that you can repair the small amount of damage?

It just depends on how "funky" you want to go with this. These pieces do lend themselves to great funkiness - but you don't want to slap paint on them in some sort of cheap, trendy way and devalue the pieces or make them look too cutesy and silly. These pieces have dignity and are truly tomorrow's antiques.

I actually love that you don't have the matching chairs. Now you have an excuse to pick a contrasting or complementing color for your chairs without slapping a "shabby chic" coat of dull paint on the pieces you do have.

As someone else mentioned, I would do something creative (and nice - not cutesy) with the interior of the china cabinet. Is it lit? Anyway, it's very nice and I'm imagining a metallic sort of wallpaper in a paisley or something like that - in muted colors, with a bit of an Asian twist to it. Or maybe in a dusty black, and then you could go with black chairs.

You have a lot of possibilities. You're lucky to have some truly beautiful pieces to work with!

Old 11-23-2014, 07:11 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I would repair the damage and then leave it alone!

Find some chairs that fit the scale of the table, and cover them with fabric chair covers.

Please don't go messing up well-made furniture with paint, wallpaper or fabric. And for God's sake, stay away from Pinterest.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:45 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have no intention of doing anything "funky" or "shabby chic" to the furniture, I prefer a clean and classic look. The china cabinet does have interior lighting and I like the idea of dressing up the inside. Maybe I could coordinate that with the fabric of the chairs and a runner for the buffet?

I'm not sure I can repair the damage. Most of the damage is some yellowing of the cream colored finish on top of the buffet and some alligatoring of the finish from sunlight on one side of the china closet.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:22 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
First, that style of furniture is tres chic in Hollywood Regency decor right now. You have some desirable pieces there. You can just get the clear coat refinished which would eliminate the yellowing and alligator issues or you could go full out and get it lacquered in a fun color. Google Hollywood Regency and bamboo - that will give you loads and loads of ideas what can be done with this furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House