Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:53 AM

33 posts, read 88,752 times

Advertisements

Came home yesterday with no power to my garage door. Checked the circuit breaker and saw that it wasn't tripped. We had power to the rest of the house. Took a quick look at the connection where the plug was, and it was plugged in. The lights in the garage were still turning on as well.

I took a closer look at the connection where it plugs in and noticed that it came slightly out of the outlet. It was still plugged into the outlet, but it wasn't making enough contact. I guess I hadn't notice before, but the cord is stretched to it's max and when connected there is just enough cord to make contact with the outlet.

The cord itself is approximately 5' long as is the distance from the opener to the outlet on the ceiling. I guess over time, the cord came loose enough causing it to lose contact with outlet. I don't want to run an extension cord, and there is no place else to relocate the outlet. Would something like this work as a permanent fix? Having about an extra inch would keep the cord from coming loose over time but I want to be sure that this is a "safe" fix.

Leviton 3-Wire Heavy Duty Vinyl Triple Tap - Orange-R52-00699-000 at The Home Depot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:06 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
I don't suppose that using a triple tap would "hurt", however the better option would be (as you've already stated) to move the outlet, or put a longer cord on the garage door opener.

We use the triple taps for outdoor power all the time, but mostly for things like christmas / halloween decorations. I would assume the draw from the garage door opener (when running) would be more significant. (Not sure if garage door opener outlet is a 15amp or 20amp).

I'm sure some of the construction experts will be along and give you some better/more specific informaiton.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
You have options but in all seriousness a short extension cord secured neatly is all you need.
Other options:
1) add another outlet above the opener
2) replacing cord of opener with a longer one
3) adding and extension cord but routing it above the ceiling and then dropping it right above the opener.
4) splice a new right angle/wall flush plug along with some extra cord to the existing opener cord.

The truth is that the outlet for your opener was put in the wrong place... My recommendation is just to get a 2ft extension cord and some hooks you can secure everything with on the ceiling and be done with it. I have electrical know how and would consider adding an outlet that taps into the power of the existing one for a cleaner look (I wouldn't pay to have this done).

Old 12-04-2014, 06:24 AM

33 posts, read 88,752 times
Thanks, I'll probably look at getting a short extension cord and neatly secure it to the ceiling. The outlet is directly above the opener, so I can't move it any closer.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Yes that triple tap would work fine - be sure to get the 3 prong type.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:04 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
The triple tap will more than likely solve your 1" dilemma. However, you'll still be fighting the same issue as before- gravity and vibration.

The simplest solution is a short extension cord- but then then you still have to deal with the additional cord- coiling and wire tying to the opener hanger. Doing it in such a way that it relieves any pulling pressure on the recepticle and/or the power cord/extension connection.

The best course of action would be to replace to present power cord with one that is longer- not hard- just a little mechanical know-how and some patients.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:10 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
I have high garage ceiling and my garage opener cord doesn't reach the ceiling. Just get a good extension cord and zip tied it to the opener bracket with some slacks. Never a problem for me in the past 10 years.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:36 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
You don't need any patients, doctors office have enough of them already. Just a little longer cord and zip tie it to secure it.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:37 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
Longer and heavy duty extension cord, pretty simple !!!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:42 AM

276 posts, read 338,352 times
A one foot extension cord...

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Sta.../dp/B000WTMAP2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House