Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 12:02 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times

Advertisements

So heres the situation. My water heater died. Barfing its contents all over the garage. It was 29 years old, so hey no big deal.

I found someone on craigslist stating that they were licensed and bonded for pumbing work, and charged a flat rate of $150 plus the cost of the water heater. OK no big deal. I contacted him, We will call him T. Discussed some details, 50 vs's 75 gallon, etc etc. In the end we agreed to a 50 gallon replacement as the 75 was more then I can really afford at the moment.

He says he will be there between 10-noon today. OK. 12 rolls around, and he is at the plumbing supply place, they want a CC to charge for the hot water heater, $400. Sure, no problem, caller ID puts it at the right place, etc. I pay for it.

AND....no contact. by 5 I am pretty concerned I have been scammed. So research time. He's been offering this for over a month on craigslist. No ones screamed about any problems....but I realize I dont have nearly enough information.

I text for updates..but nothing. At 9:21 pm I get a text from someone claiming to be his wife saying he was in a accident, and rolled his truck. He is OK, and having someone named Dale take his calls. Hit and run on our local hwy 26.

I'm suspicious of all of this. So this is my thought:If anything other then a new water heater of the same model I paid for shows up, or if they try and make me pay for another one....Im contacting the police as I suspect its a scam. Is that unreasonable? Will the police investigate? I have texts, and the claimed accident, something I am sure they could verify. Obviously not a 911 call, but a visit to the local station.

If it gets worked out without me paying for a additional water heater, everything seems fine....but...it just screams scam at the moment.

Am I correct in thinking that since it was in his vehicle he is responsible for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 12:13 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Call the police!

Make a copy of the Craigslist ad and all contact information, emails, texts, you have had with this person. Write down times and dates calls were made, etc. Give that all to the police.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:33 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Call the police!

Make a copy of the Craigslist ad and all contact information, emails, texts, you have had with this person. Write down times and dates calls were made, etc. Give that all to the police.
Already have that-including getting a copy of the ad. I think you're right, I should visit the station in the morning. If there was no accident then this becomes a pretty easy case for them. If there was a accident, then its just a civil matter.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:46 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,721,841 times
You should check your credit card account for activity, and maybe get a new card to be safe. And I hate to be a nag, but if it is a scam, you walked yourself right into it.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:59 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,798,292 times
Call the police.

Call your credit card company.

Learn about scams and craigslist.

Never give your credit card # out.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:03 AM

24,606 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Please contact your credit card company ASAP!!

Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 AM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
So, according to YOUR quote-

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
...charged a flat rate of $150 plus the cost of the water heater.

Of course you got scammed. If he's charging $150+WH* cost, why are you giving a CC# to purchase a WH?
You have clearly stated that in the end you would have paid HIM $150+the amount of the WH. Nowhere did you state that the deal was buy part(s) AND pay labor.

*its a "water heater" not a "hot water heater". Why would you heat hot water?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:10 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You have some good one-liners which make me smile almost every morning! I enjoy reading them!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:08 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
So, according to YOUR quote-

Of course you got scammed. If he's charging $150+WH* cost, why are you giving a CC# to purchase a WH?
You have clearly stated that in the end you would have paid HIM $150+the amount of the WH. Nowhere did you state that the deal was buy part(s) AND pay labor.

LOL, that's a pet peeve of mine - when someone says "hot" water heater. I also hate: Could care less, and ATM Machine.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:18 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
Always call a reputable plumbing contractor.

I cannot believe people are still being duped by Craigslist scammers, even to the point of giving out CC numbers!!

OP, you do realize that caller IDs can be spoofed, right? I have twice gotten a call which the caller ID stated was my very own number calling me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House