Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times

Advertisements

We have all appeared to agree being on time and being professional is very important. Unfortunately, that is not always what I see. In fact, I have been underbid by the guy that was late, did not call back, broke all the rules, but, in the end got the job. Why? He was the cheapest.

So, my question is, what is it REALLY worth to you? At what point would you hire the late guy. $100? $200? $500?

Let us us assume the quaintly will be the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
I cant wait to hear this. Only problem is I suspect people will not be honest with their answer. The average human can not nor will not admit they are a cheap skate. Maybe even a bit too forgiving.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
I look forward to hearing the answers as well. I would even go so far as to ask why somebody would take the lowest bid when it clearly is NOT what was asked for, and the Contractor was slipshod on the walk through as well. (seen this more than one time as well.)

Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
How would anyone here know. Why would you believe that anyone here could rank your bid or presentation.I can tell you I wouldn;t give a guy money just for being on time;that's for sure.Do you give your workers boinuses for being on time for work each day?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
How would anyone here know. Why would you believe that anyone here could rank your bid or presentation.I can tell you I wouldn;t give a guy money just for being on time;that's for sure.Do you give your workers boinuses for being on time for work each day?
No but, I will fire them for being late. In fact six years ago, the day before Thanksgiving I fired my bother-in-law. It made dinner the next day quite and short.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:43 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
No but, I will fire them for being late. In fact six years ago, the day before Thanksgiving I fired my bother-in-law. It made dinner the next day quite and short.
Wow.......strong mind and body to do that. Kinda renews the old saying to never ever hire a family member. They feel because they are related to the boss they can slack off more.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Wow.......strong mind and body to do that. Kinda renews the old saying to never ever hire a family member. They feel because they are related to the boss they can slack off more.
LOL I did not hire him, hubby did. Hubby no longer gets to play either.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
We have all appeared to agree being on time and being professional is very important. Unfortunately, that is not always what I see. In fact, I have been underbid by the guy that was late, did not call back, broke all the rules, but, in the end got the job. Why? He was the cheapest.

So, my question is, what is it REALLY worth to you? At what point would you hire the late guy. $100? $200? $500?

Confused here, how would the customer know beforehand that the guy would be such a problem? Or are you saying he was a such problem even showing up to give the bid?
If the latter case, I suppose I'd probably go with the low bid guy, if he had a legimate reason, he wasn't terribly late, and his bid was substantially lower (how big of a ding to the wallet is this hypothetical job anyway? $100 off on a $1K job or on a $5k job would have different answers)
I guess I'd put up with a little inconvenience on a larger job, if it got me 10-15% off over the next lowest bid.
Maybe I've been conditioned by all the service calls where I've had to wait for a technician and the only appointment time I get is a "2-4 hour time frame". I've even been asked if I want them to show up in the morning or the afternoon, period, no actual time ever mentioned. .

Old 04-12-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Confused here, how would the customer know beforehand that the guy would be such a problem? Or are you saying he was a such problem even showing up to give the bid?
If the latter case, I suppose I'd probably go with the low bid guy, if he had a legimate reason, he wasn't terribly late, and his bid was substantially lower (how big of a ding to the wallet is this hypothetical job anyway? $100 off on a $1K job or on a $5k job would have different answers)
I guess I'd put up with a little inconvenience on a larger job, if it got me 10-15% off over the next lowest bid.
Maybe I've been conditioned by all the service calls where I've had to wait for a technician and the only appointment time I get is a "2-4 hour time frame". I've even been asked if I want them to show up in the morning or the afternoon, period, no actual time ever mentioned. .
Yep, showing up to give the bid. I agree there is variables in this question.

I have said to people, "if you can not depend on them being there to take the job, what happens with your warranty"? I can do mine on the phone but, I see this problem with many contractors. It works for them, act any way you like, most people WILL go with the lowest bid. But again, when Mr. Cheap is out of business, where is your warranty???

Old 04-12-2009, 01:23 PM

128 posts, read 468,107 times
Quote:

Having started this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...rs-why-so.html

My response to you is I'd rather pay more to avoid a hassle, headache and possibly worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House