Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 AM

64 posts, read 123,738 times

Advertisements

Engineered wood vs regular wood : The price is about the same. Infact, in most cases engineered wood is more expensive.

Which one do you think is better for wood flooring? Can you guys list some pros and cons? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 05:23 AM

60 posts, read 105,687 times
Read page 1.

http://www.nwfa.org/Retailer%20Guide0913.pdf

Old 01-08-2015, 06:16 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,071,841 times
If you can get hardwood for the same cost, no contest. Hardwood is far superior.

The problem is going to be installation. Hardwood floors are more difficult to install so they are going to require professional installation or a very competent DIY. If you need to hire a professional, the cost obviously goes up.

I say hardwood is superior because engineered wood is softer and will show scratches much more easily. The veneer is very thin and can be penetrated by carelessly dragging heavy furniture across the floor. Even an office chair on casters will tear up the surface. You will also find engineered wood will show grooves and indentations fairly easily. Third, engineered products are more easily damaged by water. They are a type of plywood and can separate with enough moisture.

Hardwood can also be damaged of course. The difference is that if hardwood starts to show enough wear, you can sand and refinish. Engineered wood will need to be pulled up and replaced.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 AM

336 posts, read 592,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I say hardwood is superior because engineered wood is softer and will show scratches much more easily. The veneer is very thin and can be penetrated by carelessly dragging heavy furniture across the floor. Even an office chair on casters will tear up the surface. You will also find engineered wood will show grooves and indentations fairly easily.
Doesn't modern engineered wood come with a super-hard top layer coating to make it more durable? I am buying a new construction house and the builder only offers engineered wood.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 AM

7,252 posts, read 7,099,345 times
We installed our hardwood floors in KY - some 2K sq ft. It wasn't all that hard but it was time consuming. Real hardwood is much nicer, imo. But here in FL it's not common, as many homes are built on a concrete slab and you can't put real hardwood on concrete.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:27 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,171,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
Doesn't modern engineered wood come with a super-hard top layer coating to make it more durable? I am buying a new construction house and the builder only offers engineered wood.
Yes, it's a baked on finish and it has Aluminum Oxide in it. Making it much more durable than just air-dried Polyurethane.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:30 AM

17,482 posts, read 66,171,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
...and you can't put real hardwood on concrete.

Yes you can!
Before the advent of sealer/adhesives you would have to install a vapor barrier, sleepers, and subflooring. Today, it can be installed directly to the slab.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:41 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,960,568 times
Quote:
you can't put real hardwood on concrete.
We do it all the time. You have to screed the floor first but it's not an issue. I can only assume it's not a popular thing in Florida because of possible rising water.

I'm not a fan of the laminate floors or the engineered products for flooring. We did install a vinyl floor that looks like laminate in that the material comes is strips that overlap with a contact glue. I wasn't impressed with having to use the material but it's what the H/O wanted. I changed my mind about it after it was down. Looks great and it's quiet and resilient. For wet areas like a bath or kitchen, this stuff is fabulous.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:02 AM

Thank you guys!

Per the article I read, it did seem like solid wood is better if one is not living in a hot and humid place, otherwise it tends to swell.
WOOD = WOOD
Eng WOOD = 25% WOOD + 75% CHEAP MDF
PRICE DIFFERENCE : Minimal atleast in TX area
I live in perhaps one of the hottest and most humid places in US, Houston TX. From that perspective engineered wood should be better but then how much humidity and temp you have inside an AC controlled home.

I am still confused. Guys, please give some receommendation.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:05 AM

I would also like to add that Eng Wood and laminate are completely 2 seperate things. Please do not confuse the 2.
Eng wood and orignal wood are very comparable price, laminate on the other hand is much much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House