Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:34 AM

218 posts, read 393,966 times

Advertisements

Floating in a pot in my sink. And a few droppings near the sink. Never saw a mouse in 7 years of living in this townhome. Found out my neighbor found 5 of them and called pest control. They set traps. It's been 2 days and I haven't found any more. No droppings either. I didn't get traps yet because I worry about our dogs getting into to them. Would the traps in her home catch them? Will I find more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 11:01 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
Would the traps in her home catch them?
Yes, traps in her home will catch mice in her home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
Will I find more?
Maybe.

Get traps and put them where your dog can't get to them.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:04 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Get those sticky traps, think like a mouse and put them where they could hide. I put a dollop of peanut butter in the center of the trap to make it more enticing. Check frequently (once a day).

Old 01-19-2015, 11:15 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,030 times
Wow that must be gross. Might as well leave a big dirty pot with water in the sink again since that fairly effective already.

Just to let you know, I used the sticky trap before and a mouse actually got caught and then freed itself. So they do work but not bullet proof. Good luck

Old 01-19-2015, 11:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
I prefer the snap traps. They will kill the mouse instantly. The sticky traps freak me out. Won't the mouse still be alive when you find the trap?

Old 01-19-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I prefer the snap traps. They will kill the mouse instantly. The sticky traps freak me out. Won't the mouse still be alive when you find the trap?
Sometimes. Mostly they'll die of exhaustion by the time you find it.

Yes, they can sometimes free themselves, one foot goes on it, they start pulling it and the trap hangs up and the foot gets pried loose. That's why I put the peanut butter on them, it's too good to pass up.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:42 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
It wasn't mentioned what area you are in, but periodically we get huge amounts of mice. If it's been dry for awhile, all the grass goes to seed all at once. Grass seed is a high energy food like grain so the mice have more litters and more babies in each litter. So, you then end up with a lot more mice than usual. Young stupid mice, too. In our area, the owls and mongoose then increase in numbers because they then have a bigger source of food. However, it also means we find mice everywhere. It could be cold driving the mice inside or something? In any case, it is usually a problem that is of a short duration if it is one of those "waves of mice" sorts of situations. Do other folks in your general area have the same problem? If so, then it might be a whole slew of mice all over. If it's just you and your neighbor, then it could be a very small generalized source of mice. Something like them getting access to horse grain in the neighbor's barn or something. Once the food source is removed, the mice will disappear.

Three of them in the sink seems odd, though. Is there a drought in your area? Why would they want water? If you had a bucket of water with mice access then perhaps more of them would fall in and drown. That would be a dog safe "trap" as long as it's not a tiny dog that could also fall into the bucket and not get out.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:46 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Get those sticky traps, think like a mouse and put them where they could hide. I put a dollop of peanut butter in the center of the trap to make it more enticing. Check frequently (once a day).
The poor rodent dies a slow, agonizing death. If you check the trap and find the mouse is still alive, are you prepared to break its neck? I don't want to have mice in my home either, but I don't see any point in torturing another living thing. The old-fashioned snap traps are quick -- if you worry about pets getting into them, try the electrocution traps. They work really well.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
The poor rodent dies a slow, agonizing death. If you check the trap and find the mouse is still alive, are you prepared to break its neck? I don't want to have mice in my home either, but I don't see any point in torturing another living thing. The old-fashioned snap traps are quick -- if you worry about pets getting into them, try the electrocution traps. They work really well.
I have less luck with snap traps. No pets to worry about. Neck snap? Yes.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:50 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Yeah, that's why I like the snap traps. I put the peanut butter on the underside of the lever. I've had great luck with them. They kill the mouse instantly. It's quick and efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House