Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 16,292 times

Advertisements

We are purchasing a condo in a 400+ unit building. Our inspector found the unit has a hazardous Stab-Lok circuit breaker panel and must be replaced. We will replace ours, but wouldn't the presence of such defective Stab-Lok panels in other units still pose a electrical/fire hazard? Is the HOA responsible for seeing that all such panels be replaced? Thanks, Farmerjoan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 PM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
most of the stablocks that were issues were recalled and put out of production decades ago. other companies bought the rights to make them like american circuit breaker .

there is nothing wrong with any of the post federal breakers.

i wouldn't want them as the price of the breakers is insane.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 16,292 times
This building was built in 1971. Does that make a difference?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM

The panel may be old but that tells us nothing about the generation of breakers in it.

Do the breakers say federal or another manufacturer.?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjoan View Post
We are purchasing a condo in a 400+ unit building. Our inspector found the unit has a hazardous Stab-Lok circuit breaker panel and must be replaced. We will replace ours, but wouldn't the presence of such defective Stab-Lok panels in other units still pose a electrical/fire hazard? Is the HOA responsible for seeing that all such panels be replaced? Thanks, Farmerjoan
Generally anything within your unit walls will be on your dime, not the HOA's. I say the electrical panel is on your dime, not the HOA's

Also learn if something happens in your unit, even if caused by something outside your unit (flooding from another unit, blocked common sewage line that is the HOA responsibility, etc.), your recourse will be to your insurance company to settle/pay you. They (the insurance company) will then go after the other party for reimbursement.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Someone needs to get better information about FPE, or Federal Pacific Stab Lok panels and breakers.
Very few of the offending breakers have been replaced. There are tons of them out there, waiting.

1971, you probably don't have to worry about solid conductor aluminum wiring (mostly later in the 70's). If I had a FPE AND aluminum wiring, I would run away - but thats me. Some have a different threshold for electrical fires than I do.

If you replace your panel and no one else does, you have the same risk as you would have if another condo in your building has a fire. Will it affect your unit? I've inspected several hundred homes with FPE panels. The results have ranged from no visible problems, to panels with burned and melted components.

My two cents? Because of what I have seen, and what I know about FPE panels and breakers, I probably would not buy a condo with one in it. A house? Yes, because I could change out the panel with no worries. A condo where I have neighbors next to me, above and below me with FPE time bombs (sorry, panels) - no thanks. But again, that's just me.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjoan View Post
If the breaker boxes are in the individual units, I would think that the respective owners of each unit would be responsible for determining if the breakers in their unit were unsafe. Even if they are not safe, the owner of a given unit may not have any legal obligation to replace the breakers.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
You are well advised to replace the panel or breakers and inform the HOA. Read the current CC&Rs,but, it is possible that even if this issue is not covered, it could be added...look for an assessment if so.
The hazardous Al wiring was installed in homes between 1965 and 1972 (US CPSC pub 516) BUT could be in buildings until 1976, so nothing wrong with verifying that; it was not used in every panel/building though.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I was on a condo committee that would handle paniced owners every year with advice to replace the FP boxes and breakers from the '70s. We initially tested all the breakers in a large number of boxes and could not create a failure. We had more than one expert on electrical equipment advise different inconsistent things. We eventually advised residents to there was no obvious safety issue and after 40 years now there have been no problems.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM

i remember when federal pacific was in long island city,. i was a big distributor for them in the 1970's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House