Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 07:36 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Old thread, but we get furnace and ac checked each year by the company that installed them. Local company with knowledgeable, skilled techs. Peace of mind.
Same here. I always did with my previous system as well and it ran like a champ for the 12 years I had it before I sold the house. I imagine it's still going well unless the new owners are neglecting it. I did the same thing for the generator too. In fact, I keep up on maintenance on all my house systems; it's worth it to me and I get excellent service from my electrician and plumbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 11:47 AM

509 posts, read 782,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
You need to keep your coils clean, but you can by a can of coil cleaner almost anywhere and do that yourself. Just follow the instructions on the can. The only other benefit would be to keep you from surprises, like knowing something is going to go out. They also check refirgerant levels.

Best advice, clean your coils every year and have the pro come out every few years to check everything else. Just be selective who you choose. Most companies offer a low price because they are trained to always find something wrong that can be charged for, or sell you $200/lb recharges
I am wondering - when they check the refrigerant levels, does that release a tiny bit of refrigerant? kind of like when you check the air pressure in a tire, it seems that as you are putting on the thing a tiny bit of air escapes.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:55 AM

509 posts, read 782,612 times
I recently got an inspection/tune-up. My dad said he thought the AC wasn't blowing very cold and maybe the refrigerant was low. So I called for the inspection. The guy checked the refrigerant level, and inspected the mechanical stuff. But that's about it. It costs me $89. It only took him about 20 mins. (but then we spent another 20 just shooting the breeze, was a nice guy who knew a lot about the history of the area)

But I feel it wasn't worth it. But I guess if you're wondering about your refrigerant level, not sure what else you can do.

Oh yeah, the guy actually damaged my thermostat. He pulled it off and then jammed it back on and one of the pins bent. I had to buy another thermostat. Not a huge deal, it wasn't an expensive one. But kind of ironic.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:16 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,235 times
This is a long posting, and I've not taken time to read what's been said to the end.

Do you know that in many cities virtually all HVAC contractors sold out to the HVAC manufacturers? You can write off any objective opinions of brands that would suit your needs and pocketbooks.

I have a buddy that is FedEx's HVAC man, and he engineered the spot air conditioning in their huge sorting centers. He's an employee like all his other workers, too.

I use an independent HVAC guy--just him and his retired father. And they can afford to be reasonable on pricing--and still be honest.

Fortunately the previous owners of our new to us home replaced both heat pumps last year--at 11 years old.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:36 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
I recently got an inspection/tune-up. My dad said he thought the AC wasn't blowing very cold and maybe the refrigerant was low. So I called for the inspection. The guy checked the refrigerant level, and inspected the mechanical stuff. But that's about it. It costs me $89. It only took him about 20 mins. (but then we spent another 20 just shooting the breeze, was a nice guy who knew a lot about the history of the area)

But I feel it wasn't worth it. But I guess if you're wondering about your refrigerant level, not sure what else you can do.

Oh yeah, the guy actually damaged my thermostat. He pulled it off and then jammed it back on and one of the pins bent. I had to buy another thermostat. Not a huge deal, it wasn't an expensive one. But kind of ironic.
If you’re worried about your refrigerant level you can get a gauge like the techs use and then learn about what’s appropriate.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:09 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Ive been told the more complex multi stage units require more inspection and cleaning than older modes. Is that true experts>? Makes sense to me as these models are much more complex with more systems in controls than the good old workhorses..

Old 08-02-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Ive been told the more complex multi stage units require more inspection and cleaning than older modes. Is that true experts>? Makes sense to me as these models are much more complex with more systems in controls than the good old workhorses..
The expensive systems also incorporate diagnostics and reporting which would be communicated to a smart thermostat. Depending how configured might even send an alert to the dealer.

I’m not sure what extra cleaning is really needed other than a filter change, coil cleaning inside and outside. That’s pretty universal for any AC.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:30 AM

6,424 posts, read 4,917,410 times
It depends where you live. We live in hot, hot Florida and no A/C is not an option period. We purchased one of those contracts and it was worth every penny. Our HVAC unit was 17 years old and when we relocated the unit to the attic it couldn't keep the house under 83. It never worked all that good but it was passable. Long story short we bought the contract and after 1.5 years and 4 visits the tech told us the coil was leaking expensive Freon and wasn't worth putting money into. At that point we decided to replace it (in February) and got a great deal 6 months 0% financing, a $650 discount and $300 rebate from the power company. We got a 5 ton since the 4 ton was too small and the house is delightful now no problem keeping it at 77 and it doesn't run 24/7 like the old one. Our bills are $50 less per month too. When we lived in WNY A/C wasn't a huge deal and we waited till the unit died and then did the minimum repairs. I wouldn't waste the money unless you live in a hot climate.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
It depends where you live. We live in hot, hot Florida and no A/C is not an option period. We purchased one of those contracts and it was worth every penny. Our HVAC unit was 17 years old and when we relocated the unit to the attic it couldn't keep the house under 83. It never worked all that good but it was passable. Long story short we bought the contract and after 1.5 years and 4 visits the tech told us the coil was leaking expensive Freon and wasn't worth putting money into. At that point we decided to replace it (in February) and got a great deal 6 months 0% financing, a $650 discount and $300 rebate from the power company. We got a 5 ton since the 4 ton was too small and the house is delightful now no problem keeping it at 77 and it doesn't run 24/7 like the old one. Our bills are $50 less per month too. When we lived in WNY A/C wasn't a huge deal and we waited till the unit died and then did the minimum repairs. I wouldn't waste the money unless you live in a hot climate.
17 years old for a Florida unit is positively geriatric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House