Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 06:50 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,502,751 times

Advertisements

This morning my door made it halfway down before pooping the bed. I took it apart and noticed a lot of little shavings in the box that from my deduction were from the nylon gear that connects the door chain to the motor shaft. Upon touching the gear the teeth looked worn and flimsy and the motor was spinning fine but the gear just sat there.

The setup is a Lift Master 1/2hp original to the home built in 1996. So it made what I guess could be considered a good 19 year run and I'm in the market. A few questions though;

1) What brands/models are recommended?

2) I have two doors, identical openers. I am going to inspect this one as well for wear but would it be wise to replace both at the same time or just the one that is currently broken?

3) How DIY is this? I am a pretty handy person and since the doors and all are setup wouldn't it be a simple bolt on replacement with a new track an door connection?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 08:17 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
Stick with LiftMaster/Chamberlain.
Best on the market.

Just replace the one that crapped out- replace the other when it craps out. Don't "fix" what ain't broke!!!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:52 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,946,996 times
If it's just the plastic/nylon gear that's broke, replace the gear. It's not rocket science to replace. I've replaced mine twice already. Parts are about 20 bucks and comes as a kit. Any Liftmaster dealer should have it in stock.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:15 AM

930 posts, read 1,819,535 times
new units aren't really all that expensive, imo. and the newer ones come with wifi so you can remotely open and close from anywhere from your phone, which may not be a big deal to some , but it can come in handy at times.

I've driven away from the house with my mind somewhere else and then wonder if I've shut it and have to go back to double check for peace of mind.

Also , with some newer cars that you can remotely start, if its parked in your garage and you want to remotely start it you obviously have to open the garage door to allow the fumes to escape. again ....just a convenience of sorts .

Old 03-13-2015, 09:26 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,502,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If it's just the plastic/nylon gear that's broke, replace the gear. It's not rocket science to replace. I've replaced mine twice already. Parts are about 20 bucks and comes as a kit. Any Liftmaster dealer should have it in stock.
I just looked it up and saw some videos. Seems a little detailed but completely doable and much more worth the effort for $20-25 than almost $200 for a new opener. I'll be getting my model number so I can get the right part tonight.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:37 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,174,863 times
I have had two Genie Screw Drive openers (on two doors) for 21 years. Maybe I should do some maintenance, but never have needed to so far.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:48 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,355,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Stick with LiftMaster/Chamberlain.
Best on the market.
Even LiftMaster and Chamberlain are not the same units despite being owned by the same company. The LiftMaster line is a professional installer line, while Chamberlain is a line for DIYers sold at big box stores. One major difference between the LiftMaster and Chamberlain units are that the LiftMaster units use a sturdier one-piece solid rail that the installer cuts to the appropriate length for your installation, while the Chamberlain units use a less sturdy multi-piece extendable rail.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:59 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,496,000 times
We put Liftmaster in 100% of our rental houses. I love them. If it is 19 years old, I'd probably replace. They usually start to break more frequently after around 10 years. The springs on the door itself might need replaced too, they usually start to break about the same time.

I can't speak to the DIY part, we pay the garage door company to do repairs for us.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:05 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,606,899 times
I had my two single doors & openers replaced in October 2013. Put in Liftmasters on both doors. The belt drive is SOOOO much quieter than the chain openers I replaced.

Love that the Liftmasters had a separate button on the wall remote where I can turn the garage door opener lights on/off.

If you can repair the opener yourself, I'd say try that first. I'm not handy at all.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:42 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,867,846 times
I didn't realize how quiet a garage door opener could be until we moved into a house that had a Chamberlain belt drive opener. Makes me want to get rid of the Genie screw drive opener in our vacation house, even though it works perfectly fine (just noisy as heck).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House