Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:37 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times

Advertisements

If you had mice in your house and there is evidence of them being there, what would you throw out and not throw out~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 09:44 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
I'd throw out the mice!
They're like in-laws, they stay longer than welcomed!!!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Unless it is food they have gotten into there is no reason to throw anything out.
If they have chewed on blankets or clothing and it cannot be repaired those things can be tossed.
Otherwise wash what they were into, set out traps and store items wrapped tightly in shrink wrap that you can find at the office supply store then put those items in a platic container with moth balls in the bottom of the container.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I'd throw out the mice!
They're like in-laws, they stay longer than welcomed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Unless it is food they have gotten into there is no reason to throw anything out.
If they have chewed on blankets or clothing and it cannot be repaired those things can be tossed.
Otherwise wash what they were into, set out traps and store items wrapped tightly in shrink wrap that you can find at the office supply store then put those items in a platic container with moth balls in the bottom of the container.
I've thrown out so much, pots, pans, cupcake pans to now my dogs bathing supplies. His creme for his rough paws was open somehow and it is all gone. I am undecided about throwing out my dog's hair dryer. I know his coats can be washed...if they don't shrink up in the hot cycle.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Why throw out something you can wash? I'm so glad I don't have to deal with mice where I live now. Horrid filthy little creatures.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:29 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post

I've thrown out so much, pots, pans, cupcake pans to now my dogs bathing supplies. His creme for his rough paws was open somehow and it is all gone. I am undecided about throwing out my dog's hair dryer.
Why did you not simply washed these items?
So wasteful to throw them out...

What are you doing to eliminate the mice?

Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why throw out something you can wash? I'm so glad I don't have to deal with mice where I live now. Horrid filthy little creatures.

I am totally grossed out by these creatures who have been into any and everything~! The skillets, pots, etc are not dishwasher safe. If they were, I would of used the sanitize cycle like I did the clothing items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why did you not simply washed these items?
So wasteful to throw them out...

What are you doing to eliminate the mice?
Mouse traps.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
They are so hard to get rid of. I had the best luck with bait. But, then you do risk the possibility they'll die inside. I do understand being grossed out by them. They relieve themselves everywhere, with no distinction of keeping where they eat free of their waste like other creatures do. Nasty, nasty creatures. If you live by a field or in the country, they are the bane of your existence.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
I used to get them in my basement, and I threw out pretty much everything they got into....I threw out canned food where they had peed and pood on top of. The thought of eating that totally grossed me out, so out it all went. I also threw out old sheets and blankets that they had chewed on, peed and pood on, because, honestly, those were old sheets and things that I no longer used and was saving "just in case"...for what I don't know, so out they went. I also threw out some Christmas decorations they pood on. Again, it was the gross out factor.

In the garage, it's easier, cuz it's just flower pots, garden tools, etc. that they pood on, so those are easy to turn a hose on and wash off.

The 5 gallon bucket traps work wonderfully! Google them. I keep a few inches of water on the bottom. A quick mouse elimination tool! Snap traps work well, too. I had a very LARGE mouse in the snap trap on my front step this morning. Looking at it closely, I think it was a pregnant female, possibly looking for a place to have her babies.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I used to get them in my basement, and I threw out pretty much everything they got into....I threw out canned food where they had peed and pood on top of. The thought of eating that totally grossed me out, so out it all went. I also threw out old sheets and blankets that they had chewed on, peed and pood on, because, honestly, those were old sheets and things that I no longer used and was saving "just in case"...for what I don't know, so out they went. I also threw out some Christmas decorations they pood on. Again, it was the gross out factor.

In the garage, it's easier, cuz it's just flower pots, garden tools, etc. that they pood on, so those are easy to turn a hose on and wash off.

The 5 gallon bucket traps work wonderfully! Google them. I keep a few inches of water on the bottom. A quick mouse elimination tool! Snap traps work well, too. I had a very LARGE mouse in the snap trap on my front step this morning. Looking at it closely, I think it was a pregnant female, possibly looking for a place to have her babies.
Glad to know someone else is on my side as far as "the gross me out" issues I'm having. I can't throw out my couch, but they partied there too. It has an odor in the air, and I've opened all windows, but the faint smell still exists. Maybe once the couch and carpets are clean, the air will be better too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House