Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times

Advertisements

My vote goes to the laundry room. It seems that everyone want the laundry room/closet to take up as little space as possible. Designers are even stacking the dryer on top of the washer to reduce the required footprint. Is there any dark, dreary, cramped space available in the house? Stick the laundry there.

This is a shout out to home designers. Doing the laundry is not supposed to be a miserable chore! Daylight would be welcome! A place to fold the clothes would be appreciated! The room/closet should not smell like stored detergent. And not everyone, especially as we age, wants to strong arm heavy sheets and bath rugs up above their shoulders to reach a stacked dryer. Yes, space in a home is precious, but why not make a chore into something that is simply part of the 'to do' list that, like cooking, can be made more enjoyable just by a change in the experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:45 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Agree? Disagree? Have another misunderstood room to suggest?

Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I have a small laundry room but then again, I have a small(er) house - about 1800 sq ft. A little more space in there would be nice but it still beats the heck out of the laundry closet I used to have! I don't have room for folding, but I don't mind, it's right next to my bedroom, so I take the clean clothes and fold them in my bedroom, with plenty of space and natural light. I do have my large 3 compartment laundry sorter in there, which is really nice to have easily accessible and not taking up closet space.

I have front loaders side by side, by preference, I could have stacked them but much more comfortable this way. And I sprang for the ridiculously expensive pedestals - didn't have them with my last set and they make a world of difference to stand and comfortably reach into the washer and dryer.

I also have a huge linen/storage closet in my laundry room - it would have been a utility closet with the furnace and hot water heater if I hadn't opted for a floor plan with a basement. So that's a huge bonus to me to have all that extra storage. I even stuck a mini fridge in there so we can have cold bottled water while using the loft and office space.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Our house is small, so the laundry room is really more of a "nook" off the kitchen that also houses the furnace and water heater. Luckily there is room for a full size side by side washer and dryer. I hate stackables with a passion. I would love it if we had an actual utility room with space for folding laundry and storing baskets. I would also love to be able to keep the litter box and dog, cat and bird food and supplies in there. A large sink where we could bathe animals would also be wonderful. However, the house just isn't big enough for all that. I will find a way to survive and be a little creative. Lol

Old 04-29-2015, 11:19 AM

418 posts, read 728,039 times
For the last 11 years, I've done laundry in an unfinished basement. Making my new stackables in the hallway pretty awesome.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
How did my parents ever survive with the washer and dryer in the garage?

Old 04-29-2015, 12:34 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
The laundry room needs to be close to the water heater to conserve fuel for heating.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:35 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
I like our laundry room. It's off the hallway that goes between the kitchen and garage. I even removed the bifold door that was there because I like the open concept. It holds the washer/dryer side by side, the sink/cabinet, a small closet for brooms, and the dog when we are out for the day. In total I think the room is about 10x8 or so if I had to guess. Don't mind the lighting, it is a white room that I intend to paint, add a deep basin sink, and some shelving during next winter. If I had to pick a room that is misunderstood I would pick the garage simply because I will never understand people who don't use it to park their cars.

I did add one shelf (see below) that helped me a bit.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:56 PM

524 posts, read 574,698 times
I like my laundry room and am so glad its' only function is to be a laundry room. It is small, but has just enough space for a side by side washer and dryer plus a folding area with a 3 bin laundry sorter and trash can below. It doesn't have a window. I haven't missed it, as I don't hang out too long in the laundry room.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:56 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
For 16 years, I lugged baskets of clothing/towels/sheets/blankets/etc up & down basement stairs-and at least one of those stairs was broken. I HATED it with a passion.

Now, my laundry room is in my "closet"/dressing room-which is across the hall from our bedroom & the room next to where I am sitting right now. No more lugging baskets up & down the stairs which is WONDERFUL!!! I don't have a folding table but I use the washer. Most of the clothes don't even leave the room because my dressers are in there. (I have to carry my husband's clothes to the bedroom because that is where his dressers are.)

The only thing that worries me is that the vibration of the washer is going to crack the ceiling downstairs so I wash EVERYTHING on the gentle cycle.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House