Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:26 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times

Advertisements

HELL YES!! I want neighbors that use a scythe to trim the weeds! I'm not joking! Dude, that's so old school it makes me grin from ear to ear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:39 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
HELL YES!! I want neighbors that use a scythe to trim the weeds! I'm not joking! Dude, that's so old school it makes me grin from ear to ear!
I have to agree. If I saw my neighbor bring out a scythe to do any kind of maintenance... heck even bring out a real one just for Halloween, I would want to be good friends with that guy (or gal).

Old 05-01-2015, 12:27 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are you buying it for your wife????????????
What's gender got to do with it? Each scythe should be sized for the person using it. Although, if the person (of whatever gender) doesn't want to use a scythe, then they shouldn't be given one.

They are a useful tool that can be used by just about anyone able to stand and walk, but they need a bit of skill to use one, IMHO, more so than a regular push mower. They can be dangerous, although since the blade is at one end of the stick and the user is at the other, the scythe is probably more dangerous to bystanders than the user. Anytime you've got a two foot long wickedly sharp blade not in a housing, you've got potential danger. But, kitchen cleavers are dangerous, too.

Reel push mowers have spinning open blades, not sure why they don't have a cage around them. Probably the grass blades flying off would get stuck in it. They also need to be kept really sharp to work well. Most hand tools do.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:00 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,985 times
Quote:
Are you buying it for your wife????????????
I am female

Old 05-01-2015, 01:00 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Hi everyone . I just bought my second weed eater ( used ) this one is a black and decker grass hog. They both lasted all of 10 minutes before giving out the very first time I tried to use them. I found a video online of how to fix my grass hog but not sure it will work.

I have a small lawn and do not need much or anything fancy. I was seriously thinking of getting an old fashioned push mower. I have read the new ones are much easier to use than the older ones are. Has anyone tried to use them?
I won't deny it would be cool to be the only guy on the block out scythin' it up on a Saturday morning. The cloak might get a bit warm in August, but still ....

Fiskars' 18" Stay Sharp reel mower:

Amazon.com : Fiskars Staysharp Max Reel Mower, 18-Inch : Walk Behind Lawn Mowers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

The 18" width is more narrow than typical gas mowers, but it pushes incredibly easy. Has a max 4" cutting height, which was the highest on the market when I was looking to replace my gas mower a few years ago.

One drawback to reel mowers is that if the grass gets too tall, a reel mower will not cut the grass ... instead it just pushes it flat and rolls over it. So you can't skip a couple of weeks and just hack it all down you can with a gas mower.

Cuts very well and uniform. It has a built-in sharpening feature they claim will work for five years. I made it three seasons and it was still cutting well using their method (align the blade and spin backward to sharpen against the bar on the reel), but for this spring decided to buy some lapping oil to add to that routine to help sharpen/grind the blades. Worked great (lapping oil plus a drill plus an 8mm or 10mm allen bit for the drill ... many videos on youtube).

I imagine there are even better models out now.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Don't they also now sell plastic blades that fit weed wackers?
I never used them and I'd imagine it would cost a small fortune and be a PITA replacing them.

Not that it couldn't fail but it's unlikely what happened to me would occur with new ones because of the way the locking mechanism on the head works. It basically needs to move both up and down for each little bit it advances. That's why it's best to give it a little tap every so often instead of waiting until it's really low. This was that chewed up my leg was one of the original ones, it was old when I was using it and that was around 1990. If I recall correctly the spool was in the handle and it had some kind of button you depressed to release the line. Button got stuck or something and that was all she wrote for that.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:30 PM

950 posts, read 924,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
OMG. I've never seen so many erroneous ideas about scythes in one thread!

First, they are very lightweight. You want one with an Austrian blade (Scythe Supply in Maine has them) and a snath ("handle") of ash or some other lightweight but strong wood. Secondly, they are not at all dangerous to the user. I can't imagine how you could cut your legs or anything else. Mowers (what they call scythe users) traditionally use the scythe barefoot. And yes, you can mow a small area with one; a good mower can trim right around a fence post. You do not need tall grass, either. Women can easily use them (my wife does). The scythe is silent, so you do not disturb the neighbors. And it works just as well (better?) in damp/wet grass, when you can't use a gas mower.

The downsides: good ones are not cheap. And like all blades, they need to be sharpened - a lot. In fact, mowers always carry a "whetstone" in a belt-holder, with water, for sharpening when the blade no longer has it's sharpened "bite" on the grass. Takes all of 5-6 seconds to restore the blade. Less frequently, the blade needs "peening" (thinning and re-shaping) which also goes quickly.

I have been using them for many years. You get better with practice. But you need to learn a little about them, and get some practice. After that...no more gas fumes or stalled engines for you!
..........."good ones are not cheap"....

And , once again, someone has gotten the idea that if we go backwards in time, using a tool/implement that was a lot of hard work years ago............convince the public that doing so is now " hip"........we can make people pay more and work harder.

PT Barnum said there is a fool born every minute and the guy selling expensive, labor intensive sycythes knows that.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:12 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Scythe will work great in a rural settings, but I wonder how the residential lawn will look like after cut with a scythe? Uneven?

Will one need to spread the windrows of cut grass out again, with a leaf or hay rake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URJ3...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
..........."good ones are not cheap"....

And , once again, someone has gotten the idea that if we go backwards in time, using a tool/implement that was a lot of hard work years ago............convince the public that doing so is now " hip"........we can make people pay more and work harder.

PT Barnum said there is a fool born every minute and the guy selling expensive, labor intensive sycythes knows that.

Maybe so but there is a lot to be said for the older ways in some cases. No smelly gasoline, No high electric bills or long cords, no weed eater string to cause problems or need to be replaced, and a good workout to boot.

I still think an old fashioned push mower and a scythe will do nicely for my yard. How could you watch that video and not think it was cool?

Old 05-04-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Scythe will work great in a rural settings, but I wonder how the residential lawn will look like after cut with a scythe? Uneven?

Will one need to spread the windrows of cut grass out again, with a leaf or hay rake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URJ3...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for posting this. She looks about my size maybe a little taller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House