Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 10:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Such as the foot powder that escapes one's socks when you pull them on. Wood floors are a new thing to us all, human and cats alike.....as the latter go skittering by, unsure how to run on this new service.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-06-2015 at 12:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 12:11 AM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times
I've seriously been considering a Roomba. (i-robot)

We have dogs, foot dust, rollie pollies, you name it!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:19 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You might have to use Dust Buster type vacuum for foot powder, it's really fine. Other than that a dust mop and maybe a spray called Rejuvenate Multi-Surface Floor Cleaner (got it at Home Depot) which is a spray that you then dry dust.

Also have an old fashioned sweeper with just brushes to pick up other stuff.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:24 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I found the best thing is the swifter sweeper the little cloths sure pick up the dog furries that they drop and then they add themselves to the dust so you have to get something the lil furry dust balls will stick too and they sure stick to this cloth that fits over the sweeper head ...I could make a commercial for that thing it is awesome .

Old 05-06-2015, 05:41 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
I just use a water DAMP mop. Not wet. It gets the dust, powder and pollen. I noticed the floors this morning were green with pollen dust, A quick damp mopping got it all, it took several dips and wringing to keep the mop picking up. I also have an upright vacuum that goes from carpet to wood floors.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:39 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,467 times
My absolute favorite hard wood floor cleaner is the Bruce cleaner in the green bottle. You spray it on the floor and use a Swiffer type mop pad thing. It's good for your floor finish and you don't spray enough for it to get wet enough to warp the wood. Best of all it leaves your floor with that perfect finish... slick enough to slide on with socks if you get a little momentum, but not slippery. Zero tackiness. Just shiny enough to look clean without looking waxed. I have cats and kids and I live in an area of mostly new construction (within last 10 years) and everyone has hard woods, and when new people come over they almost always ask me what I use to clean my floors (mostly because their husband likes how they can slide just enough for it to be fun without it being dangerous). And it's super easy to use.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:35 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Floor "dusting"-

I use a wide microfiber fringe mop with a quick shot of Endust. It's approx. 24" wide, so it doesn't take long at all to run through the house. Especially if you compare it to one of those Swiffer thingies!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:09 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
I've seriously been considering a Roomba. (i-robot)

We have dogs, foot dust, rollie pollies, you name it!
I love the Roomba! I got mine two years ago and it was totally worth the money (around $300). I have two cats. The day I got it, I vacuumed with the regular vacuum then let the Roomba go. I was shocked at how much cat hair it picked up that I had been missing. I bought the "pet" model and so far I have replaced the filters and brushes once after a year of use. It's nice because it goes under the bed and works on area rugs. I have been using it on tile floors, but I'm moving to a house with wood floors. I hope it works just as well.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:31 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
I use an old swiffer with a microfiber cloth, couple of squirts of cleaner and it picks just about everything up.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:44 AM

178 posts, read 232,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
I love the Roomba! I got mine two years ago and it was totally worth the money (around $300). I have two cats. The day I got it, I vacuumed with the regular vacuum then let the Roomba go. I was shocked at how much cat hair it picked up that I had been missing. I bought the "pet" model and so far I have replaced the filters and brushes once after a year of use. It's nice because it goes under the bed and works on area rugs. I have been using it on tile floors, but I'm moving to a house with wood floors. I hope it works just as well.
I too love my Roomba. I have one for each of the main floors and run it at least once a week, sometimes more. It does a great job of keeping my wood floors clean/cat hair free. I wish there was a Roomba that did steps though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House