Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which home store do you use?
Lowes 38 36.89%
Home Depot 17 16.50%
Both about equally 44 42.72%
Somewhere else entirely 4 3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 08:40 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,300,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I can't give you more rep points - heck, I'd rep ya' just for that BOSS.... nice pic!

A few years ago HOME DEPOT had a high school aged worker who wore, pinned to his t-shirt - that was covered by a 'real' shirt - that was covered with that orange smock - a pin that read 'IN GOD WE TRUST' as a tribute to his brother who was serving his 3rd tour of duty in Iraq.

The store manager told this young man that he could not wear that pin - it wasn't HOME DEPOT issued - but the pin could not be seen until he took off the smock and his shirt - and again, it was in support of his brothers deployment.

The store manager made a decision - in my opinion a very poor one - to this young man, to either remove the pin, or remove the smock (quit his job) - because we don't want to 'offend' anyone with your 'IN GOD WE TRUST' pin... that again, couldn't be seen until his smock and t-shirt were removed...
The young man refused to do both, and was fired.

At the time, I lived in Atlanta and was redoing a pretty large screened in porch. I had ordered all the things I needed and was awaiting their delivery. I went to my Home Depot so often that the clerks all knew me by name - as did the manager. When Home Depot supported their firing of this guy for wearing a pin that had 'IN GOD WE TRUST' on it, I went into my HD and canceled my order. I told the manager that if Home Depot was afraid that 'IN GOD WE TRUST' would offend anyone, they'll not be 'OFFENDED' by the 'IN GOD WE TRUST' embossed dollar bills that I had. The manager pleaded with me to not cancel my order, but I did - and I went to the Lowes (that had recently just opened across the street) and ordered what I had canceled from HD..

I'm sure my $1200.00 order didn't hurt anybody - but I made my stand with my wallet. I will always go to LOWES before even thinking about HD - as I love my God and my country - and do not support those that make a stand against either....
I love this story. Great stand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,619,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I love this story. Great stand!
Thank you Cali Doll... I think if we all peacefully display - by voting with our wallets, what we will and will not accept, we are able to change those who do things that we oppose or support, we can make a difference.

Thank you for the rep points - back at ya!

Old 05-22-2015, 08:54 AM

16,681 posts, read 8,672,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Do you go almost exclusively to one store or the other? For awhile I only had a Lowes close but now I live where they are across the street from each other and I still always go to Loses. No particular reason, just habit.
You left out a couple others, particularly Ace Hardware.
Both Lowes & Home Depot are good, and if one is missing an item the other typically has it.
The only reason I go to Ace occasionally are they are very good with matching screws, bolts, etc., even in metric sizes.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,911,685 times
I do use the local hardware store when it seems appropriate.

I much prefer Lowes. i've been comparison shopping at Home Depot for years, and just last week I decided that was a waste of time. Lowes has hands down a better selection of items (at least the kind that I use) and probably slightly better prices. I always end up buying from Lowes. Plus, more stores convenient to my home. So I'm just going to go there from now on.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:16 AM

671 posts, read 902,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
My local Home Depot now has greeters.... All I can do is just shake my head....
What's your issue with greeters?

Old 05-22-2015, 10:21 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,854,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
My local Home Depot now has greeters.... All I can do is just shake my head....
A whole lot of people walk into a hardware store without a clue to where they'll find what they want--more so than in a department or grocery store. So what's your problem with someone at the door to ask, "What are you looking for?" to tell them where it is?

Old 05-22-2015, 10:43 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,720,553 times
Lowe's has a deal with Discover. I can get a $50 Lowes gift card for $45 in cash back credit. Life has changed, though. Saturday mornings at the local lumber yard used to be the social highlight of the week.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:11 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,309,844 times
Lowe's tried to screw me over on a contract. Gave me a quoted price, then after I signed and paid raised it by $300 claiming my measurements were incorrect. When I photographed every measurement and demanded to see the manager, his reply was "well it's not you, we made a mistake in our initial quote, but it's $300 more nevertheless". He did fully refund me.

I will never use Lowe's for anything not off the shelf.

Home Depot did my basement carpet install. It went pretty uneventful. I heard that their suppliers / independent contractors are being treated much better. Which, for all I know, may also mean that you're going to be screwed by a contractor with HD saying "nothing we can do". Anyway, for me it's 1:0 in HD favor. And I do have a long memory for both good and bad.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:42 PM

932 posts, read 902,251 times
Lowes and home depot are across the street directly from each other. I go to each and tell them the other store have a lower price and usually one of them will lower their price

Old 05-23-2015, 02:04 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,195,412 times
I always goto lowes. I like there store better in my area. every time I went to the home depot in my area the store was a mess with **** in the aisles that and I could never find what I was looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House