Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:46 AM

80 posts, read 74,700 times

Advertisements

I have 5 options I could do with the money I will have after everything is said and done with closing etc.
1. Whole house water filtration system.
2. Buy me an xbox 1 and a fishing game.
3. Install hardwood or laminate flooring in my room and the hallway.
4. Buy a small john boat with a motor and go fishing.
5. Buy new living room furniture.

Which of these sounds like a better long term investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 AM

7,252 posts, read 7,102,269 times
That depends on your needs...

2 & 4 don't sound like needs for the home but wants for you.

1,3 & 5 are needs. Do you need furniture because you have no place to sit? Is the floor in terrible shape? Is the water so bad that it's difficult to shower, wash or use to cook???

As far as investment - floor and filtration add (or keep) the value of your home. The other 3 go with you when you leave so they add no value.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 AM

Hmm we do need new furniture, but I am probably going to buy that today. Does the appraiser lower the value of the home if you have dated furniture? Our living room set needs to be completely overhauled.
The water gives us headaches not sure if its because it is city water and we are use to well water? We just moved here a year ago and this house we live in currently is the house we are trying to buy, currently renting.
The rooms have carpet I bloody hate carpet.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:27 AM

7,252 posts, read 7,102,269 times
Appraisers only look at the structure, not your personal items.

The water difference sounds like an issue but I'm not sure a filtration system will correct it. Filters take more out - well water often has more in. I would see if you can compare the water where you used to live to where you live now before making any changes.

I hate carpet, too. Personally, that would top my list.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 AM

Yea we lived in Crawford, Alabama now Valdosta, Georgia.
Went from a small house with well water to a two story house with city water.
The house only has carpet in the master bedroom and the hall ways all other rooms are hardwood/laminate.
I have no idea why people ever thought carpet was good:
1. Its harder to clean.
2. The smell on carpet can stay there way past the actual clean up.
3. The carpet stains a lot easier.
4. It feels like a wet hairy back on my feet..even when the carpet is dry its just ugh.
5. Clean up on hard wood and laminate is so much easier.

The living room the room I try to stay in most has tile flooring but I am not sure if I could add tile flooring to the hallways and the master bed room.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:57 AM

19,455 posts, read 27,907,287 times
Do NOT make ANY large purchases in cash or credit card until AFTER closing!!!!!!!

So cancel the furniture buying trip. But go buy a pair of comfy slippers so the carpet doesn't feel like a "wet hairy back" on your feet.

If it were me, I'd be establishing an emergency fund of six months of TOTAL expenses long before I'd be doing anything on that list. If I were tight for money, I'd be perusing Craig's List for furniture.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:58 AM

22,637 posts, read 47,790,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornherschel View Post
I have 5 options I could do with the money I will have after everything is said and done with closing etc.

None of the above.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,974,935 times
#1 if you have water issues. Filtering your water makes your fixtures and appliances last longer and would be a good investment.

If you're doing floors, do hardwood, not laminate. It costs less and will return more of your money in the LONG run.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:44 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,777,068 times
None are good "investments" but if it were me, I'd do the floors because I hate carpet.

Most people prefer hardwood but it depends on your lifestyle as to whether it's the right choice for you. It's more expensive to install and has maintained (will occasionally need to be sanded down and refinished unless you go with a distressed look).

I've been happy with my laminate (have tile in the other half of the house). I've got 80 lb German shepherds and didn't want to deal with the scratches on a wood floor. I also wanted something easy to care for and could stand up to hard use. If I didn't have pets, I'd probably have put in hardwoods.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornherschel View Post

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are all wants not needs so make a list of what is most important in regards to your wants and start at the top get them done then move on to the next want.

Personally I won't even consider a home that has all hardwood or laminate flooring, I don't like it and I refuse to spend thousands of dollars installing carpet over all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House