Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 12:34 PM

15 posts, read 36,498 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I need some input about what to do with a gap between these tile edges that meet at a 90 degree angle and in a corner of my shower. When I first moved into this house two years ago, the bathrooms were redone and last weekend I decided to take on a project to do some regrouting in one shower because the current grout wouldn't return to its clean white color no matter how much cleaning I did. During the process of grout removal, I came across this issue that I was quite surprised to find. At the corner where the floor portion meets the shower wall, there is a gap and crevice that I didn't know existed. I was shocked when removing the grout, seeing that there was an approximate 1/8" gap between the tile edges with a crevice underneath that the old grout fell into. This is better explained in pictures, so I will attach a few. If I were to put caulk at that corner (or worse grout), I'm pretty sure water would leak through into the crevice (which is probably what has been happening for the past two years). The metal spatula pics are to give reference of how far back the crevice goes.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to fill that small crevice and then re-caulk it so that water won't keep seeping through every time someone showers? I'm assuming once I deal with the crevice, caulk would be the way to go to seal the edges because of better handling of house movement/shifting vs grout. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
How to fill and seal gap between tile of shower?-imag3622.jpg   How to fill and seal gap between tile of shower?-imag3626.jpg   How to fill and seal gap between tile of shower?-imag3627.jpg   How to fill and seal gap between tile of shower?-imag3628.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 02:11 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Backer rod and caulk.

100% silicone caulk.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:22 PM

14 posts, read 31,697 times
Personally, I would open it up and see if it's done properly. You could have a mold problem you don't want getting worse.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:49 PM

Shoot, I was just about to post the "after" picture after doing what K'ledge suggested with backer rod and silicone caulk. I was going to say I never want re-caulk a corner myself again--pain in the butt because I don't have the professional touch. If it's something that I want opened up, I'd probably call the contractor to come and take a look because it's not something I'd attempt myself being a newbie DIY'er.

Edited to add: figured I'd add the after pic anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
How to fill and seal gap between tile of shower?-imag3674.jpg  

Old 06-16-2015, 09:20 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Nice job. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Walls move, gaps widen, and possibly the curb wasn't perfectly square so there's a little extra material to make the tiles straight.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:20 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Backer rod and caulk.

100% silicone caulk.

Bingo. This should take care of it.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Nice job. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Walls move, gaps widen, and possibly the curb wasn't perfectly square so there's a little extra material to make the tiles straight.
Thanks! A couple layers of sealant over the grouted areas have already been applied so I'm hoping I won't have to do this again for a very long time, or ever again. The caulking I used for the corners is the GE Supreme and says 10 year mold-free, so we'll see over time if that's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House