Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 10:10 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

I share a driveway with 5 other houses. The driveway is not even two lanes, just a simple one lane, very short road. My problem is that a family (they are renters) just moved in with 4 boys. These boys, along with another neighbor's son, play soccer in the driveway. So far, every single house and most vehicles have been hit by the soccer ball. So far, no damage; but it's only a matter of time. My other neighbors aren't aware of this, because they are still at work when it happens.

When I'm not home, these kids are also playing in my driveway. I know this because a friend down the street told me about it.

The kids are around 10-14 years of age. I went outside after the latest hit and they apologized. I then told them this driveway isn't appropriate to play soccer and told them they should play at the park down the street. I'm pretty sure they ignored me.

At this point, should I approach the parents? Since it's a shared driveway, I'm not entirely sure how to word this. I am buying a security camera, though, because if my house or vehicle is damaged, they are paying for it. Anyway, how would you handle it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:20 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I would speak to the parents directly and ask them politely to tell their kids to play elsewhere. I wouldn't get a security camera- that seems a bit overboard.

Talking normally resolves things !

Old 06-20-2015, 10:20 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
I would speak to the parents. It's possible they don't know it's happening either. Do you have a garage to park in or just the driveway?

Old 06-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I would speak to the parents. It's possible they don't know it's happening either. Do you have a garage to park in or just the driveway?
No garage. All I have is two parking spaces that are off the shared driveway. I can't imagine the parents don't know about it. The bouncing is loud and I've seen the parents look out the window. Ah, the joys of suburbia.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:46 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I don't blame you for being concerned, cars and siding can suffer real damage from hits like this. Plus, it is good that they apologized, but that won't necessarily stop this type incident from continuing.

I also do not blame you for your concern about them playing in your driveway....Lots of liability for you...And, they certainly didn't ask your permission...Red flag for me. One of the reasons that I encourage you to install your cameras.

I would always address the parents, never the children, people can get very upset when virtual strangers try to impose rules on their children. Plus, you never know what lil Jr. may say that you said...Just best to be communicating directly to their parents.

If I were you, I'd inform the other residents and you all should discuss what to do. Safety in numbers so to speak.

I have seen enough of these threads to know this could turn into a nightmare and you would become the center of attention.

Is there anything you can do to block the balls from your cars?? Some kind of rolling barrier or something?

Here folks put up hockey goal fencing at the ends of the streets...Not sure if that would work for your neighborhood.

Last edited by JanND; 06-20-2015 at 10:55 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I don't blame you for being concerned, cars and siding can suffer real damage from hits like this. Plus, it is good that they apologized, but that won't necessarily stop this type incident from continuing.

I would always address the parents, never the children, people can get very upset when virtual strangers try to impose rules on their children. Plus, you never know what lil Jr. may say that you said...Just best to be communicating directly to their parents.

If I were you, I'd inform the other residents and you all should discuss what to do. Safety in numbers so to speak.

I have seen enough of these threads to know this could turn into a nightmare and you would become the center of attention.

I would go ahead and put in your cameras, no reason not to.

Is there anything you can do to block the balls from your cars?? Some kind of rolling barrier or something?

Here folks put up hockey goal fencing at the ends of the streets...Not sure if that would work for your neighborhood.
Thanks, good points.

I spoke to the kids directly (normally I don't) because I truly had no idea what had hit my house. They actually hit an upstairs bathroom window that scared the heck out of me. I ran outside to see what it was and saw them.

I do NOT want this to turn into a big deal. The two families (one is a home owner and the other the renter) already have an alliance b/c of the kids.

I wish I had some way to block the balls, but there isn't a way to do that.

I'm definitely going with the camera.

The thing that drives me crazy is that I've heard the one dad specifically tell the kids to stay away from his house and vehicles.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:03 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
You are seeing the negatives. Some of the positives-
The houses and cars are much less likely to be burgled with kids visible out front playing at odd hours.
Kids playing in the drive aren't going to be meeting up with drug dealers in the park.
The damage a soccer ball can do to a car, other than a dirty smudge, is minimal. If it could do serious damage, I would question how that car would fare in a real accident.

Soccer might not be the best sport for the drive, I agree. A basketball hoop or two might involve less bouncing of balls against cars. I'm sure you can remember the old "Dennis the Menace" cartoons and shows where kids hit baseballs through windows. Count your blessings, and if you are going to play Mr. Wilson, play a kindly Mr. Wilson.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Thanks, good points.

I spoke to the kids directly (normally I don't) because I truly had no idea what had hit my house. They actually hit an upstairs bathroom window that scared the heck out of me. I ran outside to see what it was and saw them.

I do NOT want this to turn into a big deal. The two families (one is a home owner and the other the renter) already have an alliance b/c of the kids.

I wish I had some way to block the balls, but there isn't a way to do that.

I'm definitely going with the camera.

The thing that drives me crazy is that I've heard the one dad specifically tell the kids to stay away from his house and vehicles.
An upstairs window?? That isn't soccer then.

Go to the Dad that did this and tell them they hit your upstairs window...and a neighbor told you they play in your driveway and you do NOT want them to do that.

Afterwards...Follow the Dad's example, tell the kids to keep the balls away from your cars and home and stay off your driveway.

Good luck and keep us posted please.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You are seeing the negatives. Some of the positives-
The houses and cars are much less likely to be burgled with kids visible out front playing at odd hours.
Kids playing in the drive aren't going to be meeting up with drug dealers in the park.
The damage a soccer ball can do to a car, other than a dirty smudge, is minimal. If it could do serious damage, I would question how that car would fare in a real accident.

Soccer might not be the best sport for the drive, I agree. A basketball hoop or two might involve less bouncing of balls against cars. I'm sure you can remember the old "Dennis the Menace" cartoons and shows where kids hit baseballs through windows. Count your blessings, and if you are going to play Mr. Wilson, play a kindly Mr. Wilson.
Hahaha, point. And I do understand boys and their need to be active. Incidentally, our HOA banned basketball hoops on the shared driveways--probably because our planned community has plenty of space for kids to play: tennis courts, walking trails, basketball courts, large common areas, pools, etc.

However, the bigger issue, at least for me, is respect for others' property. I say this having raised 3 sons (my youngest is 16) in this very same house. They weren't allowed to play soccer or kickball or baseball out there because it just wasn't considerate to my neighbors and I didn't want to risk damaging anybody's house or vehicle, including mine.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Hahaha, point. And I do understand boys and their need to be active. Incidentally, our HOA banned basketball hoops on the shared driveways--probably because our planned community has plenty of space for kids to play: tennis courts, walking trails, basketball courts, large common areas, pools, etc.

However, the bigger issue, at least for me, is respect for others' property. I say this having raised 3 sons (my youngest is 16) in this very same house. They weren't allowed to play soccer or kickball or baseball out there because it just wasn't considerate to my neighbors and I didn't want to risk damaging anybody's house or vehicle, including mine.
Oh....A totally different situation then. You said they are renters...inform the parents of the HOA rules. End of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House