Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 02:20 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I have read the entire thread. What other solution do you propose to keep the op's children safe? Not allow them to ever go outside? Teether them to the deck?

The Op feels a fence is the best solution. Since the neighbors are not the ones paying for the fence, then the OP should be able to spend their money on the fence that they feel will work best for their family's lifestyle and current situation.
If you have read the thread, then you already know the other suggested solutions, and the potential reasons why the op may not be able to put up the fence they desire. It all depends on hoa rules.

Personally, I don't have a lot of safety concerns about a pond. If the pond truly is a safety issue, then the hoa should consider fencing it off for the safety of all. But I digress...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 03:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
If you have read the thread, then you already know the other suggested solutions, and the potential reasons why the op may not be able to put up the fence they desire. It all depends on hoa rules.
The only other solutions are for the OP to waste their money on either a fence they don't want or on a temporary fence.

Quote:
Personally, I don't have a lot of safety concerns about a pond.
Yeah, cause a toddler drowning isn't at all a safety concern.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The only other solutions are for the OP to waste their money on either a fence they don't want or on a temporary fence.

Yeah, cause a toddler drowning isn't at all a safety concern.

You seem to of found the crux of the OPs problem.

I do like how you conveniently delete the last half of my comment about the pond... If it is a hazard for one set of toddlers, it is a hazard for all.
How in the world has mankind survived all these eons with such hazards as PONDS nearby?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:01 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Unintentional Drowning: Get the Facts...
CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

Old 07-07-2015, 08:32 PM

693 posts, read 705,365 times
In our community a homeowner had a fence installed and didn't realize that it wasn't allowed because they owned a corner property. The problem was solved when they had to choose between taking down the fence or hiding it with hedges or trees. They went green. Problem solved. I think that would work for you.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:37 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
You seem to of found the crux of the OPs problem.

I do like how you conveniently delete the last half of my comment about the pond... If it is a hazard for one set of toddlers, it is a hazard for all.
How in the world has mankind survived all these eons with such hazards as PONDS nearby?
Are you seriously criticizing the OP for taking responsibility for her own children instead of expecting others to do it? Jesus.

Most kids don't drown in ponds, but some do. How horrible of the OP to want to do what she can to prevent having to bury her children.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Are you seriously making fun of TODDLERS who drown in ponds?! Wow...

Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Are you seriously criticizing the OP for taking responsibility for her own children instead of expecting others to do it? Jesus.

Most kids don't drown in ponds, but some do. How horrible of the OP to want to do what she can to prevent having to bury her children.
I'm guessing you are referring to my post from 1:20pm today. No, not criticizing the OP for that. Feel free to show me where I have criticized the OP for wanting to be safe. Just pointing out I wouldn't view the pond as a big thing. My differing opinion is not equal to a criticism.

Any criticism from me would be for the insistence on type of fence. But, sounds like the HOA will decide that.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously making fun of TODDLERS who drown in ponds?! Wow...
I WAS making fun of YOU for how you pulled my original aside out and focused on it, all the time taking me out of context. I am also making fun of our over protective society. Do we need to rubberize, plasti-coat and pack our kids in Styrofoam? No, not making fun of toddlers or the OP.

The OP is concerned about drowning. A legit concern. Kills 3500 people (not just kids) per year in the US. Does she forbid her kids from the car? Road crashes: Kill 260,000 children a year and injure about 10 million. Seems that is more worthy of concern.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:25 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you are referring to my post from 1:20pm today. No, not criticizing the OP for that. Feel free to show me where I have criticized the OP for wanting to be safe. Just pointing out I wouldn't view the pond as a big thing. My differing opinion is not equal to a criticism.

Any criticism from me would be for the insistence on type of fence. But, sounds like the HOA will decide that.
I was referring to the post I quoted. I don't have the time or desire to keep track of what posts you make at what time. The entire tone of your post is critical, and you admit to criticizing the OP for the type of fence she wants. That makes absolutely no sense to me. It is her life, her yard and it will be HER fence. Why should she not have her own desires? The HOA may deny it, but they may approve it. If approved, she can put up her privacy fence and the neighbors will just have to get over it.

As for the safety issue, you may not view the pond as a big thing, but others do. You know, the people with young children who actually have to live next door to said ponds. If you do have kids and still think it's no big deal, then I don't know what to say other than have a nice day (and I hope you have insurance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House