Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,837 times

Advertisements

My mom wants to build a 6ft wood privacy fence on the west side of her yard because of her noisy, obnoxious neighbors but she's unsure if she's allowed to take down the chain link fence that separates the property. I called the city to ask and they said the chain link belongs to whoever's property it is on and that I should look at the survey. Im not sure if I'm reading it right though, it looks like it's right on the property line. My friend said its the neighbors fence since the posts are on their side but a fence company I called said that isn't always true. They will be coming out next week to take a look but I was hoping someone here could take a look and help answer this question. My concern is if it's their fence the neighbor's fence then the privacy fence would go up against the chain link? How would we stain it? I know these are questions for the fence company but I wanted to know if anyone had a similar issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Privacy fence - whose fence is it?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 01:04 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Is it possible to ask the neighbor if it's their fence?

When I bought my house, the previous owners told us that they had bought all the fencing. When I replaced it, I asked my neighbor if they wanted to split the cost they said no, even though they benefit from it. Drives me nuts. FWIW, the fence is on the property line.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:31 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
A lot of places have a setback requirement for fences so you can't put them right on your property line. Check with the township to see if any setbacks are required. You might have to stain the fence before it's put up.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:55 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
The fence company is saying it is typical (and in some places the law) that fence posts must be on the owners side as in the finished side facing out. There are some fence styles (shadow box) that hide the posts.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:06 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
My house had chain-link fencing on all thre esides when I bought it. I decided to put up privacy wood fencing but I didnt even consider taking down the chain-link. My wood fencing is just inside the chain-link, with only inches between the two. I think it's good to have both fences in case of a hurricane or a storm that blows down the wood fence.

Regarding staining the fence, I presume you're referring to staining the side that's facing your neighbors. I'm not sure why you'd be concerned with doing that. As long as you stain the inside, the side that's facing you, isnt that all that matters?

Old 07-05-2015, 04:37 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post

Regarding staining the fence, I presume you're referring to staining the side that's facing your neighbors. I'm not sure why you'd be concerned with doing that. As long as you stain the inside, the side that's facing you, isnt that all that matters?
If one of the goals of staining the fence is to help preserve it, staining all sides and ends of the boards is the correct way to go about it.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies good information here. I will reach out to the city again and try to approach the neighbors but I don't expect them to be helpful.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:43 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
OP only a survey can legally prove where the fence is And in many cases you might be surprised how far off the ppty line it is. Could be dead center of ppty line, both of you responsible, or could be on your side, your responsibility, or could be on neighbors side, their responsibility.
You might consider putting your new fence just inside the chain link fence as mentioned above. If you're concerned about staining both sides you could either bolt or screw the fence panels together to the posts and then unscrew them, take them down, to stain them. Some effort but maybe it'd fit your needs.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP only a survey can legally prove where the fence is And in many cases you might be surprised how far off the ppty line it is. Could be dead center of ppty line, both of you responsible, or could be on your side, your responsibility, or could be on neighbors side, their responsibility.
You might consider putting your new fence just inside the chain link fence as mentioned above. If you're concerned about staining both sides you could either bolt or screw the fence panels together to the posts and then unscrew them, take them down, to stain them. Some effort but maybe it'd fit your needs.
Thank you I will ask the fence company about this option, even if it is extra work later. My mom is leaning towards an eastern cedar tongue & groove fence which is very nice and I'd hate for her to spend so much and then have it rot or warp in 2 years.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:51 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
If one of the goals of staining the fence is to help preserve it, staining all sides and ends of the boards is the correct way to go about it.
Couldn't it be stained all over before it's put up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House