Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:51 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,645,213 times

Advertisements

I just lined all of the cabinets in my home, and the shelves were in perfect shape, I just wanted them to look better. I went to home depot and purchased the cheapest self sticking asphalt tile they sell, 34 cents per sq foot, or $15.00 per box of 45 tiles. 45 tiles obviously does 45 square feet, so you may not need that many, they can be purchased individually. Looks so much better than any shelf liners you can buy, and if you cut them properly, they are a perfect fit, unlike flimsy shelf liners. Spill something, just wipe it up, they are waterproof. I used a paper cutter for a perfect fit. Wife loves me...
I started out to just do under the sinks in case of water drips, but it looked so good, and was so much fun seeing how great they look and work, I did all the cabinets in the house. So far used three boxes, almost done. I'd never use shelf liners again.
I also did my daughter's condo... I'm a tiling fool.... Where do you live, I'll be right over...!! It's fun, it's easy..~
Hardest part of the project is removing all the stuff and replacing it, I let wife do that part..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 06:33 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,365,087 times
First I would start with goo gone or goof off to get rid of the paint drips. It's worked well for me even on old paint drips. Next I would do a good cleaning inside and outside. I suggested someone try Dirtex in another thread. It is safe for wood and can be used in other areas also. I'm a big fan of products with multiple uses. On the exterior I would use the Old English that someone else recommended. Inside I would use shelf paper. The Contact brand makes something with a lighter adhesive for shelf lining. I would not recommend contact paper or anything with a strong adhesive backing since you are renting. Getting old contact paper off when you move is a pain.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:41 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,130,830 times
First thing to do: Talk to the landlord! He may be glad to have found a renter with higher standards than those he had previously and may decide that this is a good time for some improvements. He might we willing to have the cabinets cleaned and painted. Or, he might be glad to work with you in some other way. If you do anything major make sure he puts it in writing that he has agreed to let you do it.

Do Not use harsh cleaning treatments on your own without taking the precaution of testing them in hidden places. Some of those might remove the laminate overlay and create a worse problem.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,123,148 times
Another vote for Old English (with stain). Cleans, brightens, and gives a luster to the oldest of wood.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:17 AM

144 posts, read 468,995 times
thanks a lot!

I already bought the Murphy's Oil Soap, so the old english is better?

i could return oil soap

Old 07-15-2015, 11:06 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz View Post
thanks a lot!

I already bought the Murphy's Oil Soap, so the old english is better?

i could return oil soap
No, they both are good.

The Murphy's will clean it, and Old English will polish it and fill in some of the scratches/worn spots.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,123,148 times
After pics please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House