Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
I have no interest in eating in my kitchen. I don't want to have my dinner by the hot stove while staring at the dirty dishes. I would much rather move into the dining room where I have nice art and a much better view out the windows. To me, the waste would be sacrificing kitchen space to make room for seating. That's why I chose a house where the whole kitchen is for cooking and eating happens in the dining room.

As a side note, I also can't see how a living room would be wasted space. Ours is where we congregate when we have people over, where we relax after work, and really just where we...well...live. We have a separate room in the basement where we have the TV, but we really only hang out there if we have something specific to watch.
I agree wholeheartedly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:43 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
We live at our dining room table. It seats 8 comfortably but I wish there was room for 12. I love having big dinner parties. I sit here every morning with a cup of tea and disappear into City Data land. Our house is old and the dining room is beautiful. You can keep your open concept. That is just not for us. Give me the beautiful oak trim, antique dining room furniture, and leaded windows over some modern nightmare with no character.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:29 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,973 times
We did.

Our current house has no formal dining room, but an open floor plan across the back half of the main floor of kitchen>eating area>family room. The kitchen and dining area share a wood floor, the family room is carpeted. The dining area is large enough for a table seating six (eight if squeezed) and the kitchen has a raised island (we considered adding a table-height matching addition to the raised kitchen island, extending into the eating area). The open kitchen>dining space>family room is a common design in our area (though some do set up another room as a formal dining room in addition ... ours is an office).

Our last house had a formal dining room off the kitchen, which was used maybe six times over ten years. Otherwise, it collected piles of stuff on the table. We considered knocking down the wall between the dining room and kitchen and extending the kitchen into that space (that kitchen already had a raised island and room for a four-person round table).

Old 08-04-2015, 11:47 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
No way!

I'm with many here that I love my small but elegant formal dining room, and use it every day- just not necessarily for dining. Mine is even smaller than gentlearts, a mere 10 x 11, but we designed a custom banquette and table that seats six comfortably and eight in a pinch. With a couple of nice antiques to compliment the detailed '20s architecture: inset coved plaster ceiling and arches; mahogany doors and trim; hammered metal chandelier and a triple window looking out on a pond/birdbath, flagstone terrace and 60 y.o. flowering Hibiscus, it is a pleasant place to be day or night.

We use it mostly as a study, laptop set up on it and I have a bunch of plans on the table right now for a project I am in the middle of permitting through the city. It is the go to place for a quick business meeting with clients or vendors and most importantly, we entertain often and it is used for a fun dinner party with friends at least once a month- with the swinging butlers door swung firmly shut to hide the kitchen mess lol. Card games at the table for hours after dessert often follows.

Because one must skirt the corner of it to enter the kitchen it is also an important room for daily circulation so just the fact that it must be briefly walked through constantly means it is used and enjoyed. This house would be irreparably ruined if it were somehow taken out or combined with the kitchen, and we wouldn't love or enjoy our house nearly as much as we do.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:49 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
We did.

Our current house has no formal dining room, but an open floor plan across the back half of the main floor of kitchen>eating area>family room. The kitchen and dining area share a wood floor, the family room is carpeted. The dining area is large enough for a table seating six (eight if squeezed) and the kitchen has a raised island (we considered adding a table-height matching addition to the raised kitchen island, extending into the eating area). The open kitchen>dining space>family room is a common design in our area (though some do set up another room as a formal dining room in addition ... ours is an office).

Our last house had a formal dining room off the kitchen, which was used maybe six times over ten years. Otherwise, it collected piles of stuff on the table. We considered knocking down the wall between the dining room and kitchen and extending the kitchen into that space (that kitchen already had a raised island and room for a four-person round table).
How is your formal dining room different than just a dining room?
Maybe you did not use it as you elevated it to some high standard?

I have a dining room and a living room. Nothing formal about them.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:34 PM

347 posts, read 1,282,915 times
I have a small dining room off the living room. It's empty except for a table and lamp by the window. We like it open and empty.

I also have an eat-n kitchen with a small table and two chairs. The cat eats there :-)

We eat in front of the TV.
We eat at a table at restaurants :-)

Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I use my dining room for mainly storage.

Fun fact: three out of four homeowners we surveyed said that they do not regularly eat their meals in their formal dining rooms. So where do they? 42% said that they dine in their eat-in kitchens, while 34% said they eat in their family room or in front of the T.V.

Is It Time to Ditch Your Dining Room?
We ditched our dining room a long time ago. Now it's a den with our computers and desks in it.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Eating anywhere but a dining room is uncivilized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
Never, love my formal dining room and I have an EIK as well.
Ditto. I rarely eat in the kitchen. The table exists mostly for sit-down work space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Uh, no. I have three children. We need more than one gathering room on the ground floor. Anyway, why must these spaces be formal? My dining room has a casual decorating scheme, but it's still a dining room. Same goes for the living room, which isn't any more formal than the family room. They differ only in that one room holds the TV/gaming system, while the other hosts the family computer and bookcases.
Right now, my living room is littered with magazines and cat toys. The family room is cleaner than the living room, but the living room has more comfortable furniture.

The dining room isn't much more "formal" than that. When you have only 6 or 7 rooms, there's not much space for formality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Our current house has no formal dining room, but an open floor plan across the back half of the main floor of kitchen>eating area>family room. The kitchen and dining area share a wood floor, the family room is carpeted. The dining area is large enough for a table seating six (eight if squeezed) and the kitchen has a raised island
What you have is a huge eat-in kitchen. Not to everyone's taste.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:06 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,300,581 times
We have a formal dining room that gets used once a year - for our annual Xmas party. We move the table up against the wall and set it up to be our "serve yourself" drink table.

Other than that, we never even walk into the dining room for any reason whatsoever.

Our eat-in kitchen can serve 10 at the table, and we have a wraparound bar that can seat 8-10 people (although we only have bar stools for 6 at the moment).

Old 08-04-2015, 01:23 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I have a totally open floor plan on my main floor, so no dining "room" exactly. I do have a designated section that is clearly the dining area, with my table, an art deco buffet and a couple of other pieces. I am not a fan of sitting at a breakfast bar so my son and I eat all of our meals at the dining room table, but depending on how you look at it, it's also the kitchen table. I entertain 6+ people (sometimes double that or more) enough times during the course of the year that I need room for a large enough table, although most of the time, the extra leaves are not in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House