Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:01 PM

18 posts, read 30,236 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am not sure how to correctly describe our problem (correct terms), so I have included pictures. We had mold remediation in our attic, and now need to vent it correctly. Insulation had been stuffed into the soffits, bathrooms exhausted into the soffits haphazardly. We've been told we need to add gable vents (to the existing soffits and ridge). I know that is not wise, and we won't do it. We've been told the ridge vent needs to be bigger (cut lower). BUT, there is a beam that impedes air flow from the soffits to ridge vent. I want to make sure I understand what is going on before I talk to more contractors, but I cannot seem to find this roof construction/problem anymore. If anyone can point me in the right direction (even just providing the correct terms) I'd really appreciate it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 08:27 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,310,197 times
This looks like a modular home. Where is the attic insulation?
It looks like there is not enough room at the soffits to create vents, so you will have to create gable vents. Unless the house is really long, gable vents should be adequate as long as you can make them large enough. The ridge vent opening does not have to be as large as you might think. Yours looks like it might be a couple inches wide now. Not that hard to enlarge it anyway.
That framing would not really affect ventilation that much.
You can also add power vents fans as well to work with the gable vents.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:45 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
I'd strongly suggest starting with an inspection by a structural engineer. You have short trusses being held on a ledger, some are apparently nailed with no truss hangers, you have truss members of what looks like 2x 6 terminated in span to a 2x 4 and you have truss members that are angled far less than workings of web members or laterals. Frankly, looking at the drawings, it appears a high school class designed the roof system. I'd be more concerned with the structural value of the roof system than ventilation at this point. He can also tell you how to vent the attic. You might also ask him why there are staples coming thru the roof decking. If it were for shingles, there would be a lot more of them and a different size to be correct.

Considering Barking Spiders comments, is this a two story modular considering the structure has first story ceiling joists, a 2x 4 spacer laid flat which is a MAJOR no-no, and then 2x 10 floor joists?

Old 08-09-2015, 08:48 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
From the pic of the plan you have a modular home.
The roof is uses a truss system- but your truss system is different from most because its a "folding truss". They are built that way to keep the overall height of the module low for transporting.

The bridging and bracing will not disrupt the convection air flow from soffit to ridge. But you definitely need the decking cut back from the ridge so the ridge vent can "operate" correctly.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:26 PM

Thank you for the quick replies. Here are a few answers before my phone dies.

Modular, two story colonial with finished basement, just under 3000 sq ft
We are second owners. First owners were apartment city slicker transplants that didn't know the first thing about owning a house. It is 10 yrs old.

Insulation was removed two days ago due to mold remediation (surprise surprise)

I am not a builder, but I have decent spacial/structural instincts, and my gut reaction to the roof structure was "oh, crap". Common sense says that the set up won't work, who thought this crap up?!?

Dimensions are 36' x 28'

We are in Maine. Tons of snow.

Anyone have recommendations for help in the southern maine area?

Old 08-09-2015, 09:31 PM

Forgot to mention that there are already soffit vents. I am thinking that ventilation might be adequate now that the insulation is removed from the soffits and when we vent the bathrooms outside. (As far as venting goes). I don't think we will have enough money for a structural engineer; I don't know what to do.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:11 AM

You don't need a structural engineer. There is nothing "structurally" wrong with the roof framing. It was designed that way for a reason (as I previously mentioned). If it wasn't sound I'm sure it wouldn't have passed code.

Since you have soffit vents, whether they are continuous or individual just make sure that baffles are installed before the insulation is blown in. Baffles keep the insulation out of the soffit-allowing the air to rise to the ridge.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:07 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
The design would have failed any inspection here. The flat 2x 4 holding the weight of the second story would have been the first red tag. The truss design would have been the second red tag. But I guess not everybody inspects to the same criteria. WE do a lot of piggy back trusses. NONE are as stupid in design as this mess. What we would expect for a design is the piggy back at the top and under it would be something around 4-5 flat laterals sitting on top of a ridge truss. The trusses would be in half- one for the flat ceiling side and one for the vaulted ceiling side. The main trusses would have the support joist for the laterals of the piggy back. The drawing is a cluster wreck of crap and would not be permitted here. Maybe there are no inspections in the OPs area.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:18 AM

I guess I'm not seeing the 2x4 you are mentioning, TrapperL

Old 08-10-2015, 08:59 AM

Trapper is going off on a little tirade. Whether it meets his "code" or not is not the subject for this discussion. Besides, I don't see you rebuilding the roof for the sake of ventilation.

Modular homes have been built for many years now. And for the most part are built better than most stick/site built homes. So ease your mind and concentrate on the task at-hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House