Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 04:15 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,152 times

Advertisements

Just got my new gas pool heater Sta-Rite 400k BTU and was wondering what the most efficient way to heat my pool for the weekend. Is it best to heat it up to temp and then leave the heater at that setting all weekend? Or is it better to get it up to temp and then let it drop overnight a few degrees and then bring it back up to temp when you get into the pool the next day?

I recall Airics stating in another thread that he heated his pool up to 102 degrees for the weekend and it ran about $40 or so. I have a medium to small pool with a spa but wasn't planning on heating the spa any different.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by Packrat1; 08-09-2015 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 06:05 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Lordy...isn't it hot enough outside for it to warm on it's own?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:19 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Just got my new gas pool heater Sta-Rite 400k BTU and was wondering what the most efficient way to heat my pool for the weekend. Is it best to heat it up to temp and then leave the heater at that setting all weekend? Or is it better to get it up to temp and then let it drop overnight a few degrees and then bring it back up to temp when you get into the pool the next day?

I recall Airics stating in another thread that he heated his pool up to 102 degrees for the weekend and it ran about $40 or so. I have a medium to small pool with a spa but wasn't planning on heating the spa any different.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Airic I believe was playing winter games. Normally you just leave the pool at a fixed temperature. At this time of year 90 cost almost nothing. The standard in the winter is to heat only the spa...and the system is generally set up so you can isolate the spa and heat only it. With a good siae pool heater you can get it to Spa temp in 30 minutes. To do the whole pool you are probably going to pump gas for 12 hours or more.

The big bill on a holiday weekend heat up in the winter is is the initial heat. Starting from the low 40s and taking it into the 90s or 100 will cost.

A cover will probably cut your costs more than in half if you are doing the whole pool.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:50 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Yes I was talking winter... We go in on New Year's Eve...

Old 08-10-2015, 12:18 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:

Thanks for any thoughts.
1. To save money, YES you let it drop overnight then bring it back up to the desired temperature during the day.

2 Even an inexpensive bubble cover will pay for itself very quickly. Get one, I recall getting one for around 75 dollars, they may be a little more now.

3 I find it shocking that anyone could heat a pool to 102 during the Vegas new years eve for only 40 bucks. It seems to me I spent much more, for a far lower temperature than 102, but I was in California, maybe the rates are different...or his pool is smallish.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:03 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
You can get an instant $50 rebate on a solar blanket once every three years from the water company.

http://www.snwa.com/rebates/coupons_pool.html

I will say though that the solar blanket I got off Ebay far outlasted the one I got from NPS.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:47 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,982,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
1. To save money, YES you let it drop overnight then bring it back up to the desired temperature during the day.

2 Even an inexpensive bubble cover will pay for itself very quickly. Get one, I recall getting one for around 75 dollars, they may be a little more now.

3 I find it shocking that anyone could heat a pool to 102 during the Vegas new years eve for only 40 bucks. It seems to me I spent much more, for a far lower temperature than 102, but I was in California, maybe the rates are different...or his pool is smallish.
15,000 gallons. 2 days... Natural gas is cheap. 400k btu heater by pentair.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
The previous owner of my house gave me one warning. She said they were shocked by a $300 gas bill when the house was empty. Turned out some relatives had come for the weekend, turned on the pool heater and forgot to turn it off.

Just remember to turn off the heater when you are finished!

Old 08-10-2015, 02:09 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,969 times
Quote:

Thanks for any thoughts.

Was the gas line already installed that would work for the pool? We have a gas line in the back but not sure if it is the right size diameter.

Could you let me know who installed it for you?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 PM

392 posts, read 1,092,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post

....2 Even an inexpensive bubble cover will pay for itself very quickly. Get one, I recall getting one for around 75 dollars, they may be a little more now....
New pool owner and we have a crawling pool cleaner left for us by the previous owner of house. Are there any solar bubble covers that can be used without affecting the motion of the crawler hose, since the bubble covers float on top of the water and the hose does also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House