Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:18 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Over the years I've learned what CAN be done and what SHOULD be done are often two very different things, with the SHOULD be done a whole lot better than minimum requirements. This just became very evident with the after pictures of what happened when the pool is just filled in. Given that, even if the building department allowed me to just fill it in, I'd still be demo'ing the existing pool before filling...which is why I ask these questions

That was precisely my point- you would be hard-pressed to find any AHJ that would allow you to just "fill it in". They are all very aware of the possible consequences.

The only place you would probably get away with it would be very rural/backwoods areas that have NO code enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 10:00 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
In our state some cities require a permit others do not. As previously said check with your local gvmt agency first.
Here's some reading material on the subject that may be of value to you...
Cost of Inground Pool Removal - Estimates and Prices Paid

Old 08-14-2015, 11:00 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,910,552 times
Aside from all of the other negatives listed here, my first question would be, how much more are you paying for a home because it has a pool? The homes value is increased by thousands of dollars due to a pool you want to bury.
That bother's my thrifty little heart..!!

Old 08-14-2015, 11:42 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Aside from all of the other negatives listed here, my first question would be, how much more are you paying for a home because it has a pool? The homes value is increased by thousands of dollars due to a pool you want to bury.
Not necessary. Ask any realtor, pools can be a detriment and a home lose value with a pool. In our community homes with pools have a hard time selling.
Does an In-ground Pool Add Value to a House? - Real Estate News and Advice - realtor.com
A: How about maybe yes and maybe no for an answer? There is no set percentage of value increase or decrease for an in-ground pool. Unfortunately a pool is one of the poorest “improvement” projects you can make to a home. Previous experience tells us that it’s likely you will never recoup your investment.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:00 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
It depends on the location of the property as to a pool adding or detracting value from a home. In some areas, a pool is expected, and if none it lowers the property value. In others, you can hardly give a home with a pool away.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:19 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
It depends on what the local rules permit. Assuming it's allowed, your cheapest option will most likely be to fill it in. This is very commonly done, and if done right, you'll never know it's there. Generously perforate the bottom to allow water to drain out, fill with well-draining compacted material (brick or concrete rubble is cheap), then you can build over it like any other kind of properly prepared sub-grade.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:34 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Build the forms, install the re-bar, and pour a concrete garage floor on top of the pool, making it the basement for your new garage!
Seriously, it would be best to completely remove the pool, cap or remove all the lines and wiring, and fill the hole with crushed gravel, well compacted. DO NOT fill the hole with "topsoil". It would be an unnecessary waste!
Especially since you plan to build on it! You certainly don't care what will or will not grow there if you are going to pour a concrete slab for a garage!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:51 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
ever consider taking up skateboarding?

Old 08-15-2015, 11:00 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Very few- as in VERY FEW areas of the country have pools as "assets".
Residential pools are generally "$0.00" when it comes to resell. Even in appraisals.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:07 AM

760 posts, read 768,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

First, this is going to be a really hard job if you do it by hand. Jackhammering is hard work, then lifting the spoils out of the bottom of the pool is going to be a disaster.
One doesn't have to remove the broken concrete usually, it just becomes "fill rubble" like rocks and gravel but that concrete probably has steel reinforcement rods or wire in it as most poured concrete will have, and you really need heavy machinery to deal with that maybe to break up the concrete and push the walls over and down.
Concrete is just crushed and burned limestone with gravel, rock and sand added to it, broken into smaller chunks it's perfectly fine for fill and can be topped over with a couple of feet of dirt and topsoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
One of the properties I looked at had a 2,000sq foot garage already in place. I also already have copy of the zoning laws to verify I'm good for the height I want, which will be a 14+ foot ceiling.
Good grief what excess people have now, a 2000 sq ft GARAGE??? that's double the size of my entire 2 bedroom house, for a freaking garage!
I hope you research what the heat and a/c costs will be with rooms having 14 foot ceilings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House