Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,204 times

Advertisements

All – I live in Colorado and need to regrade part of my yard as a small part of it slopes toward the house. As you can see in the pictures (sorry not the best) the soil level is already too close to the siding so adding dirt does not seem to be a viable solution. Also, it appears to me that the yard starts to slope away from the house about five feet out.

Do you think the following is a good idea? I was thinking of digging down near the house to get the soil away from the siding and then making the grade away from the house for five feet. I would add piping of some sort at the end of this (running parallel to the house), sloping down toward the downspout in the picture (Far side of picture 1 and pictured in 3rd). I would then connect the downspout to the piping, and make a trench that goes almost to the dirt wall where I will dig a drywell and have the water flow into that. I would then add rocks to the newly created area by house. Does this seem like a good solution? If so, I was thinking a solid pipe might be best from the connection point. In the rock area, would it be best to use piping with only holes on top?

Or will this not work? Better solution? Thank you for the help! I am trying to think of the best solution without regrading most of the backyard - but am willing to if that is what is needed. Any suggestions and or comments would be greatly appreciated. Also, I should note that I currently do not have any water problems, but was hoping this would prevent them in cases of large rainfalls.
Attached Thumbnails
Regrading or Adding Drains and Drywell-1.jpg   Regrading or Adding Drains and Drywell-2.jpg   Regrading or Adding Drains and Drywell-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
This will probably answer your question as to why-

Neighborhoods with History or Expansive Soils

And because of "that" I'd regrade the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House