Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 12:48 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Especially, because of the drought in CA, water aerators are promoted to save water.

My problem with water aerators, is that if I want to fill a cup or a tea kettle or a glass full of water, I'm not going to be fooled by an aerator. In fact, I swear, I use more water trying to fill whatever vessel I'm trying to fill.

It's like pouring beer from a tap and dealing with the foam. You just pour and expect the foam, and pour some more, and some more until you get a full glass. This is what it's like to fill a glass of water from a faucet with an aerator on it. It just foams up, and you keep pouring water until you end up, finally, with a full vessel.

It drives me nuts. The only time I think it may save water, is when I wash my hands. But even then, I will use enough water to feel like I've rinsed my hands thoroughly.

So, I really question whether or not faucet aerators make any real kind of difference in total water used at the end of the month.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 03:28 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Especially, because of the drought in CA, water aerators are promoted to save water.

My problem with water aerators, is that if I want to fill a cup or a tea kettle or a glass full of water, I'm not going to be fooled by an aerator. In fact, I swear, I use more water trying to fill whatever vessel I'm trying to fill.

It's like pouring beer from a tap and dealing with the foam. You just pour and expect the foam, and pour some more, and some more until you get a full glass. This is what it's like to fill a glass of water from a faucet with an aerator on it. It just foams up, and you keep pouring water until you end up, finally, with a full vessel.

It drives me nuts. The only time I think it may save water, is when I wash my hands. But even then, I will use enough water to feel like I've rinsed my hands thoroughly.

So, I really question whether or not faucet aerators make any real kind of difference in total water used at the end of the month.

What do you think?
How do you do that? I mean, you fit two gallons of water in a gallon container?

Yes, Aerators do save water!
Faucet aerators are great for water and energy savings, but when should you use them? | Clean Energy Resource Teams

Old 09-11-2015, 07:02 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Aerators DO NOT SAVE WATER!!! Where do you people come up with this stuff?
Aerators aerate the water.

Restrictors SAVE WATER.

"I use more water trying to fill whatever vessel I'm trying to fill." This has to be one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:21 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
Quote:
Yep, aerators are suppose to add oxygen to the water which makes it taste fresh. That's their function, not save water.

Quote:
This has to be one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read.
I'm not believing that. You post here too often. There's tons of doozies to be had here. If nothing else this forum is great entertainment for some of the posts. Ya know, like "my house is red, why does my roof leak?" Or "the electrician was here today and now my hot water doesn't feel the same." One classic one "my water is contaminated because when I fill my tub the water turns light blue." Naw, there's a lot better ones out there than this one.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Yep, aerators are suppose to add oxygen to the water which makes it taste fresh. That's their function, not save water.

Uh, no.
That maybe a "side effect", but no.

Aerated water can be controlled better in a stream, and reduces splashing when it hits the bowl.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:08 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Foamy? Never seen that. Aerators don't last forever, its probably bad, or sediment behind it, replace them. They cost $2. If that doesn't fix it, it may be your water.

I've experimented with many different aerators with different restriction discs. I've settled on 1.5 GPM. Saves water, but a little faster than a 1.0 GPM. A 2 or 2.5 GPM is simply too much water going down the drain when washing dishes.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:11 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Yep, KB has it pegged properly as usual. Reduction of splashes is the primary intent of them. True oxygenation of water is best served further upstream. There is a slowing of the flow of water through aerators, which can be annoying if you use a well pump and have to deal with lower pressures. They also can clog with debris and harbor germs (although a silver aerator screen could avoid the germ buildup if one was made available).

Old 09-11-2015, 09:18 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
Another first world problem.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:33 AM

168 posts, read 285,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Restrictors SAVE WATER.

"I use more water trying to fill whatever vessel I'm trying to fill." This has to be one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read.
As usual, internet polemics get us nowhere.

Now, if a person is trying to fill a container, then neither aerators nor restrictors "SAVE WATER" (nor reduce the use of all-caps typing).

And for many people, if you're trying to rinse off soap, for instance - as in OP's original post - then it's debatable whether aerators or restrictors either way save water, because the rinsing period is often extended. (That's one of my beefs with shower restrictors; OK less water is coming out of the nozzle, but I'm having to stand under it longer to rinse off soap and shampoo - the net savings are not that great.)

If, on the other hand, a person is doing some casual and quick water use - a splash of water in a coffee cup to cool it, or a quick swipe of a veggie knife under the tap to rinse it off - then both aerators and restrictors probably save water... and in fact I'd warrant that aerators save more, because with aerators you get a sense of having a good stream of water, whereas with most restrictors the flow seems so anemic that you feel like you have to keep the tap open longer.

As for OP's other complaint - OP may have exaggerated it a bit, but I have seen what might be called "overly aerated" taps in which the water stream seems more air than water, and downright foamy; and in those instances there is often some splashing or ancillary water loss. I think the answer to that is to check and adjust the aerator, though, not to discard it completely.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:36 PM

Well, if you want to SPLIT HAIRS (all cap's just for you)-

People save water; not restricters. But that wasn't the point of the conversation now was it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House