Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:10 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times

Advertisements

i would like to have a home security system. i have one installed, so just need to choose a "provider". any recommendations? what are the approximate costs of one? thanks so much
p.s. i have dogs, so i am afraid that with them running around the house, and in and out the doggie door, it would set it off constantly. is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 05:00 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,028 times
I'm glad you posted this question, as I am in need of a security system too. I've had them before. There are motion sensors that would be set-off by an animal, but those can be zoned or eliminated where Fido is. Just alarm the windows and doors. Can even leave these open, but when they close and connect a circuit, they are armed. If re-opened, they will activate. I like the systems that tell you where the alarm is, rather than a coded number. It will say "Basement Window" instead of "A5" where you need to look it up. I assume your dog isn't a Rottweiler or a Pit Bull, eh?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:17 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
The dogs are the best security system; I wouldn't even turn on an electronic one.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:43 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times
thanks yall. i called several places, and decided will just get a new shotgun. between the gun and my dogs, i think it will suffice.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,067,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
thanks yall. i called several places, and decided will just get a new shotgun. between the gun and my dogs, i think it will suffice.
Get a pump action, just the sound is enough to scare someone....

Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Well, if you are still interested, we have had Brinks at two different locations (two different States) and we have been pleased w/ their service and cost.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,652 times
I agree with cde. Dogs are best security.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I agree with cde. Dogs are best security.
I agree - have dog, shotgun and Brinks. I figure - several lines of defense, as it were.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
We had one of those systems from three different companies. Finally learned our lesson - they stink. Caused all kinds of problems. later an Ex Cop gave us some good advice:

1. Forget the system, just get one of those signs to put in your yard. You could also put a fake siren, camera, or motion detector in a visible location. If the bad guys think you have a security system, the will often go elsewhere.

2. Beware of dog sign.

3. Leave one large male shoe on the front porch. This says "'a big man lives here and he is home right now" You can get old shoes at Salvation army for next to nothing. Leave only one there. If you leave a pair, they might get swiped.

4. Leave a big dog dish on the front porch. This says a bid dog lives here and has access to the front porch at least some times.

5. If you live in a city, install a metal security door.

6. Motion sensor lights outside everywhere you can put them.

7. Mixed suggestions about NRA stickers. This says I have guns and may scare away bad guys. It also says "I have guns" to bad guys who want to steal guns. A house with guns is a great target. Guns are highly desired and easy to sell in the underworld. It could make you a target.

8. If you go away, make sure that your neighbors know it (unless they are criminal types).

9. When you answer the door to a stranger, have a cell phone pressed to your ear and pretend to talk on it. That way if they planned to force their way in, they will change their mind. It also helps get rid of salespeople, LDS missionaries, etc.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:01 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
4. Leave a big dog dish on the front porch. This says a big dog lives here and has access to the front porch at least some times.
This is my favorite! Big dog dish on porch. In the event of a break-in, when you won't want to have touched a thing or enter the house at all, plant a target that any burglar will move... a shiny silver pistol. Have the gun welded inoperable. Put this within sight once you open the door. If it's moved or missing, go back to your car and get out. Sort of a visual alarm that someone's been there. If someone would threaten you with it, only you will know it's useless, giving you the advantage while the perp believes the gun works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House