Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 6,609 times

Advertisements

My grandmother will be giving me the deed to her childhood home (built in the 1920's). I'm SOOOO ecstatic! She is 95 & currently living with my parents. Even though she hasn't lived in the house for 4 yrs, my parents kept the utilities on & have been extremely diligent with checking the house multiple times a week (it is in a heavily wooded/rural area) and performing maintenance/repairs (if needed). The house is about 650-700SF and has a TON of character and memories. Even though the house is fit to live in right now, I know that I will definitely have to update the plumbing, electrical, windows and install a new HVAC system. I'll also replace the kitchen cabinets & appliances and bathroom fixtures and do other cosmetic interior work. The (metal) roof & foundation are fine.

Here's my question (FINALLY)......the entryway & bathroom area was added in the 60's (via a small addition/bumpout). Would it be possible to enlarge/extend this area an additional 4'x8'? This would most certainly add much needed space for the entryway (which currently has the Washer/Dryer closet) and the TINY bathroom. I realize that I'm getting WAY ahead of myself, but knowing if this can/can't be done would really ease my mind. Thanks in advance for your advice/comments/suggestions.

VCF88
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 06:54 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
You'll need eyes on the ground there to tell you, but anything can be done with enough time and money.

Obviously everyone has a different "vision" with their property, but as someone who probably goes to extremes to maintain and refurbish original (I own a 1930 built house), I cringed when reading about your plans. Plumbing, electrical and (maybe) HVAC I can see ~ that's basic safety and function. But replacing what are likely Very solidly built kitchen cabinets with something modern that's almost certainly going to be of lower quality and original windows (that are nearly 100 years old) with something made today (most have a 20~30 year life) just set my teeth to grinding. Single pane windows in good repair (meaning they close correctly, have good glazing) and a fitted storm window are 90% as efficient as modern vinyl replacements according to the EPA, and they'll last Another 100 years instead of needing to be replaced every 30 years meaning less landfill waste. Plus, modern windows just don't look right on older homes.

You should try living with what's there for awhile first. Things in my 1930 house just flow better, has a more efficient layout (in some things, others that were never dreamed of in that time are just plain difficult). My house is a maintenance nightmare, but I bought it out of foreclosure, and it's Clearly been neglected over the past 20+ years.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:04 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Your house sounds wonderful! My only suggestion is to avoid renovating the memories right out of it.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:51 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
You'll need eyes on the ground there to tell you, but anything can be done with enough time and money.

Obviously everyone has a different "vision" with their property, but as someone who probably goes to extremes to maintain and refurbish original (I own a 1930 built house), I cringed when reading about your plans. Plumbing, electrical and (maybe) HVAC I can see ~ that's basic safety and function. But replacing what are likely Very solidly built kitchen cabinets with something modern that's almost certainly going to be of lower quality and original windows (that are nearly 100 years old) with something made today (most have a 20~30 year life) just set my teeth to grinding. Single pane windows in good repair (meaning they close correctly, have good glazing) and a fitted storm window are 90% as efficient as modern vinyl replacements according to the EPA, and they'll last Another 100 years instead of needing to be replaced every 30 years meaning less landfill waste. Plus, modern windows just don't look right on older homes.

You should try living with what's there for awhile first. Things in my 1930 house just flow better, has a more efficient layout (in some things, others that were never dreamed of in that time are just plain difficult). My house is a maintenance nightmare, but I bought it out of foreclosure, and it's Clearly been neglected over the past 20+ years.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
That makes two of us. Modernizing too much renovates the character right out of an old house.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:06 PM

Thanks Brian_M.......I appreciate your reply! I plan to keep as much of the original character as I can. We've already been told that the plumbing & electrical systems definitely need to be updated to adhere to current building & safety codes. The house currently has no AC other than a couple of old window units. It's heated by an old (metal, square) oil burner that is currently in the living room. There's also a tiny wood stove in the kitchen. I've spoken to the oil company that currently services the house & he said that the oil burner definitely has to go (they don't even make those units anymore). So yes, a new HVAC system needs to be installed. VA's summers are HOT! I've researched the HVAC systems & there's a couple of options I'm considering.

As far as the kitchen cabinets, they'll definitely have to be replaced as well. I can't remember what the original cabinets even looked like, but my grandparents replaced them about 20 yrs ago with basic (modern-at-the-time) fake-wood cabinets which are VERY flimsy (a coat of paint can't even save them). Same as with the windows.....they were replaced about 20 yrs ago but I really don't trust their efficiency (or safety). The bathroom is TINY....only as long as the bathtub, with the vanity & toilet on either side of the door (which opens into the KITCHEN). I'd like to enlarge the bathroom a bit, replace the vanity & toilet and install a shower stall....I've had 2 back surgeries--->bathtubs & me don't get along very well.

The other rooms (living room, dining room & bedroom) require very little updating other than removing the paneling (yes, paneling) from the walls and painting them....and refinishing the original wood floors. I'm itching to see the flooring under the old sheet of linoleum in the kitchen.

Anyway (whew!), those are my dreams/visions for this house. I realize that it will take time & money for even the basic utility upgrades. Also with a house this old, I'll have to address any possible lead paint & asbestos issues. Great advice to live there for a while first (my parents suggested it too), before going all out because it could very quickly turn into The Money Pit! Again, thanks for your reply....it is very much appreciated!!!

VCF88

Last edited by VaClassicFairlane88; 10-09-2015 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Thanks for your reply, metamorphosis! My thoughts exactly!

Old 10-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Thanks for your reply, oldhag1! I plan to keep as much character & memories as possible. With the exception of the kitchen & bathroom updates, the interior of the other rooms will be the basic painting of the walls (after the paneling removal...LOL!) & refinishing the floors. The original floors & interior doors are gorgeous!

I noticed that you're located in NoVa. I currently live in the National Airport area. After 15 years in the hustle & bustle of the DC metro, I'm heavily considering moving back 'home'. My grandmother's house might be just what I need for my peace of mind.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:22 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
"...it could very quickly turn into The Money Pit!"

Spoiler Alert!
It is a money pit! The amount of money that you would put into it would far exceed the actual value of the house itself. If its sitting on a few acres- that's where the money is!

Old 10-09-2015, 01:37 PM

Thanks for replying, K'ledgeBldr. The Money Pit is what I'm afraid of. However, one of the (legal) conditions of the deed transfer is that I cannot sell the property (not that I would even consider it). It sits on about 5 acres in the middle of the woods. NO traffic! NO noise! NO neighbors! NOOOO mortgage! WOOHOO!!!

VCF88

Last edited by VaClassicFairlane88; 10-09-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House