Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 06:13 AM

73 posts, read 68,476 times

Advertisements

Oh my, but it is a mess.

The hubs and I are DIY folks. We painted a bedroom room and ripped up the carpet and pad to put down laminate.

We chose this Style Selections in Tavern Oak from the local big box as it had good reviews. Hubs has laid down a Pergo before so we figured it would be a quick install.

No surprise, it was a quick install. BUT OMG what an odor!!!

I have never had a floor smell as terrible as this laminate does. I mean all the windows open in the house and fans going 16+ hours a day and the smell is overpowering.

No way in Hades can I have anyone sleep in that room and have had to seal off the entire room at night.

I had planned to put this in the entire house and get this carpet out of here; however, we'd never survive the laying of this in the hallway and living room/kitchen.

Any suggestions on this odor? I am aware there is a certain amount of odor in a new floor that is to be aired out but this is above and beyond. If no odor suggestions, any flooring suggestions that doesn't smell like a pickle factory when cut and laid?

I think it was OK until hubs had to actually cut the floor and then it released this funk.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 06:39 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Hope it is not left over formaldehyde from a cheapie manufacturer. Go back to the big box store, find the flooring manager and research it further. It might not be a good idea to be smelling those fumes! And FYI I am not normally a chemophobe, but formaldehyde is not nice.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:28 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Hope it is not left over formaldehyde from a cheapie manufacturer. Go back to the big box store, find the flooring manager and research it further. It might not be a good idea to be smelling those fumes! And FYI I am not normally a chemophobe, but formaldehyde is not nice.
That was my first thought. People really need to be careful with this type of thing today. We put top quality Armstrong flooring in two guest rooms and there was no odor at all. I fear for the OP that some nasty off gasing may be happening. I would be inclined to rip it out, return it and buy a better product. Take the loss if you have to.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 AM

188 posts, read 151,548 times
I would simply get it tested for formaldehyde. I think Lumber Liquidators is even giving away free test kits. I might be inclined to use two different test methods to be sure.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:58 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,361 times
I would be concerned about that odor making someone sick, too. It could make you sick without you knowing it.

Was there a adhesive mentioned by name on the flooring? Maybe a substitute can cause a chemical reaction when it comes in contact with the flooring.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,064 times
Saw this thread after having the same lingering odor after installing Lowe's Style Selections laminate flooring last week.

Curious how long before the odor dissipates?

The room smells like future cancer

Curious if anyone with Lowe's Laminate floor ever test for formaldehyde?

Old 02-08-2017, 02:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hib4n9RmFrQ

Old 02-08-2017, 06:20 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Formaldehyde, air out daily for about 3 weeks, should dissipate by then. It's probably been in storage for a long time before you bought it.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:19 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,672 times
First problem was laminate...enough said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House